Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Recent enthusiasm for the fothcoming release of Previn's VW set suggested a search on amazon. There are some iteresting sets. In the jazz area there is this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...eywords=Previn - a set of 8, for not a lot (around £6-7) from marketplace people. There is a health warning from one or two reviewers, but others have said these should be discounted. Could be worth a punt.

For more by Previn see http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=Previn

Comment

• mahlerei
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Recent enthusiasm for the fothcoming release of Previn's VW set suggested a search on amazon. There are some iteresting sets. In the jazz area there is this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...eywords=Previn - a set of 8, for not a lot (around £6-7) from marketplace people. There is a health warning from one or two reviewers, but others have said these should be discounted. Could be worth a punt.

For more by Previn see http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=Previn
      Very interesting, but I'm surprised by the hefty prices. I had Previn's DSCH13 on a chromium dioxide tape and liked it very much. Warner want almost £18 for this reissue/remaster. Or is this just Amazon's think-of-a-number pricing policy?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

I think possibly the latter. It (plus other AP/LSO HMV recordings) is being released in Japan at about the same time so it's possible that the "import" referred to by Amazon is from there. it clearly needs further investigation. But good to see that Warners are now getting round to Previn.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          But good to see that Warners are now getting round to Previn.
          There must surely be a big Previn box in the offing before too long. That's why I'm not buying any Previn single CD issues right now. Knowing the ways of the record companies they will maximise revenue by first releasing a few mouth-watering single re-mastered issues then after a few months release a big box with all of them included plus a whole lot more. Enthusiasts will thus have a duplication conundrum to resolve.

Cynical? Moi?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Cynical? Moi?
            Realist.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

There are already some big Previn boxes out there, but yes - one may expect eventually to see more, and from more than one company. It's probably not worth buying single CDs unless one really does want something special - as per msg 6004.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

This looks like a good way of getting a lot of Malcolm Arnold at a bargain price - could anyone give me some advice about the recordings?

Comment

• mahlerei
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  This looks like a good way of getting a lot of Malcolm Arnold at a bargain price - could anyone give me some advice about the recordings?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e_epc__1p_3_ti
                  MickyD

I bought the individual discs when they first appeared. Excellent sound and splendid performances. Don't hesitate!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
                    MickyD

I bought the individual discs when they first appeared. Excellent sound and splendid performances. Don't hesitate!
                    I think I would hesitate, till the price drops.
                    they were advertised at a cheaper price when first listed, IIRC.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Thank you for the advice. One for the shopping list, methinks. I've only got the Dances, so am eager to explore the rest, above all the symphonies.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Thank you for the advice. One for the shopping list, methinks. I've only got the Dances, so am eager to explore the rest, above all the symphonies.
                        I have all the Naxos set,but no other versions, but I love his music , so I'll definitely be in for this at some point.
                        I think it started at about £21, so every chance it will go back to that , I should think.

I see the Hickox set is available at around £18, perhaps those with more expertise can advise which to go for.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• mahlerei
                          • Jun 2015

ts

Hickox only recorded the first six symphonies, IIRC, and Gamba took on the rest. I much prefer Handley's readings anyway. Gamba's are very good; his separate discs of overtures and ballet music are first-rate.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
                            ts

Hickox only recorded the first six symphonies, IIRC, and Gamba took on the rest. I much prefer Handley's readings anyway. Gamba's are very good; his separate discs of overtures and ballet music are first-rate.
                            Thanks for the advice, Mahlerei.
                            I"ll invest in the new box at some point.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

As ts says that ex Conifer set was cheaper when it was first flagged up so maybe hold that thought but,as mahlerei says,it's a wonderful set.
                              The more I listen to the Penney Naxos cycle,the more impressed I am.

As a bit of fun how about an ideal Arnold cycle

1 Penney
                              2 Handley
                              3 Hickox
                              4 Arnold
                              5 Groves
                              6 Hickox
                              7 Penney
                              8 Handley
                              9 Penney

Sorry for the off topicness

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Staying off topic for a moment......
                                Interested that you chose Arnold's own recording of number 4 (presumably Lyrita).
                                I have it too, but it is very slow: 54' 11" compared with Penny's 37' 47”!

I have the Naxos set, the LPO Arnold 4 on Lyrita, and others on a couple of EMI issues: numbers 1 (Bournemouth/Arnold), 2 (Bournemouth/Groves), and 5 (CBSO/Arnold). Tempted by the forthcoming bargain box, but I already have some concerto recordings too.

Is there really a Groves 5, or was that wishful thinking?

Comment

Working...
                                X