• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    I have the mono set in its DG incarnation, and I would say they are a level above the stereo version: one of the great sets, with Schnabel, Arrau, Gulda and Brendel.
    Although it's been nearly thirty years since I last heard the Kempff stereo set in its entirety, I think that I would agree with that assessment. But this is npot to say that the later set can be casually dismissed: it's a fine achievement (as anyone who has bought the single-issue "named" Sonatas releases can attest). I think that it's just that, ten -fifteen years earlier, Kempff's technique was sprightlier; the later set more reflective in mood, perhaps.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Not in ultra bargain territory yet, but the Rattle CBSO box is around £52 on Market place, the lowest it has been so far.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

The Kempff (perhaps not so great sound) set seems to have reverted to £6.99 on the Selections site. I'm going for it anyway, and not expecting a great deal from the sound. Code AL670.

Others which I have checked out include:

Richter, Diabelli Variations - http://www.selections.com/beethoven-...ariations.html L203. 0.99p
        Richter, Schubert Sonata + some Beethoven Bagatelles - http://www.selections.com/schubert-piano-sonata-16.html AL672
        Holst, Planets, Hickox - http://www.selections.com/holst-the-planets.html AD267. 0.50p (very good recording)
        Nielsen - http://www.selections.com/nielsen-sp...-in-funen.html Z363. 0.99p
        Barber sonata - http://www.selections.com/barber-son...iano-op26.html. AM271. 0.25p
        and a couple of oddities ....

http://www.selections.com/british-light-music.html. AL340. 0.99p
        http://www.selections.com/robert-hal...binazioni.html AM350 0.45p

if you have an amazon account, you can also order them on the Selections site, then pay on amazon, which might save time and effort.
        You can also save time by just typing in the code numbers in the search box on the Selections site.

The Richter Diabelli is of interest to me - and I don't think it's in the box set of Richter performances - which I must have somewhere around here.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          The Kempff (perhaps not so great sound) set seems to have reverted to £6.99 on the Selections site. I'm going for it anyway, and not expecting a great deal from the sound. Code AL670.
          Do let us know re the sound quality, please.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

I've had the mono discs on DG Dokumente since they were first issued (1995) and they have been staple listening. As pointed out above they can be obtained at not hugely greater expense than the Regis set. Both sets are on 9CDs. Regis simply divide them up 1-32 which doesn't optimise timing. With DG the sonatas are squeezed onto 8 discs + a "bonus" ninth disc which is worth having. It contains some snippets of Kempff speaking - in German with a summary in English in the booklet, playing some Bach, Brahms and Chopin and a full Beethoven Pathéthique from 1936. He also accompanies Fischer-Dieskau in four of his own songs (1964 stereo). These are well worth hearing. I cannot comment on comparative sound quality but some reviewers have found the Regis to be significantly inferior. My impression is that preferring to get the Regis is not an attractive option.

(Incidentally Marlies Petersen included a Kempff setting of Goethe's Wandrers Nachtlied in her marvellous Eternal Feminine album.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I've had the mono discs on DG Dokumente since they were first issued (1995) and they have been staple listening. As pointed out above they can be obtained at not hugely greater expense than the Regis set.

These are well worth hearing. I cannot comment on comparative sound quality but some reviewers have found the Regis to be significantly inferior. My impression is that preferring to get the Regis is not an attractive option.
              The Regis set may well turn out to be a dud, but the price difference between that and other sets is around the cost of a meal at Côte or two breakfasts.

If it is obvious that the performances are "must haves", then the better recorded set may go on a wish list for later purchase.

Comment

• Kamisama
                • Mar 2015

The two Beethoven/Kempff mono sets can be sampled at Presto, though the tracks use different music portions.

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-32. Deutsche Grammophon: 4479662. Buy download online. Wilhelm Kempff (piano)

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-32. Regis: RRC9010. Buy download online. Wilhelm Kempff (piano)

Comment

• robk
                  • Nov 2010

The William Schuman Naxos Symphony set is available new from Amazon at £2.32 plus postage. Couldn't resist it at that price. Sorry if it was the only copy!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by robk View Post
                    The William Schuman Naxos Symphony set is available new from Amazon at £2.32 plus postage. Couldn't resist it at that price. Sorry if it was the only copy!
                    No - still a couple left when I just looked. (The "Used - Very Good" at £3 including P&P, however has been snapped up )
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                      Nice one, but sadly now reverted to £16.99.)

Comment

• robk
                        • Nov 2010

Eclassical Daily Deal is worth a look today. Frank Martin Cello Concerto played by Christian Poltéra. Gramophone editors choice in 2007.
                        Classics Today 10/10; Gramophone: outstanding; BBC Music Magazine: outstanding. Without ever having received any formal training, Swiss-born composer Frank Martin (1890-1973)

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

JPC has an NCA (and certain other labels) sale mainly at €1.99 & a few at €2.99 each (some are hybrid SACDs!) - early music to contemporary.

Also: MEMBRAN 10 disc boxes at €4.99. These can be very much a mixed bag from a recording/transfer point of view and it is worth researching reviews (often easier said than done).

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

While on jpc: they have the 21 CD cpo Loewe Complete Lieder Edition for 49.99 Euro. This is about £43 delivered. Best UK I could find is £102 special offer at Presto. OK, niche repertoire maybe but highy praised (eg here) and Lieder fans will certainly be interested.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Amazon market place sellers (e.g.Zoverstocks) have Christopher Hogwood's box set of Bach (20 CDs) for around £33-34. There's also a set of English music (Arne etc) for around £40.

Comment

• Conchis
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2014

Chailly's Bruckner cycle is now on Australian Eloquence, for just shy of twenty quid with the river people:

Not heard the whole thing, only the 7th and 2nd but like both of those quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X