X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Stealing a leaf from Bryn's book - and the last one may already have gone - but German Amazon have the Karajan Opera box for a very limited time for 79.99 euros plus postage - it ends at 15.30 GMT this afternoon.

See: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

There may be a catch about Prime but perhaps not.
    Probably can't risk it right now - but here is the list of discs in the box - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4794640

Do I need any of them? Probably not!

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      What I will say is the Bavarian RSO is a world class orchestra with a terrific sound. Every recording they make is worthy of attention.

They made some pretty good recordings back in the Jochum and Kubelik eras (Bruckner 5, being a favourite) and I enjoyed hearing them in Davis era but they seem to be on another level now

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        Doing it properly, you mean.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
          One advantage of downloads is that we can put movements in any order we like.

Harding does give us a way worthy of hearing, along with others in our collections - for silly money.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

What I will say is the Bavarian RSO is a world class orchestra with a terrific sound. Every recording they make is worthy of attention.
            I've picked out several favourites:

Bernstein - Die Schöpfung
            Shostakovich Cello Concertos - Maxim Shostakovich & Heinrich Schiff
            Mahler 1 and 8 - Kubelik
            Dvorák Overtures and Symphonic Poems - Kubelik

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

Europadisc has the 42 disc Opera Baroque box from Harmonia Mundi for £35.47 in its 24 hour HM reduction - expires midnight tonight.
              Opera Baroque | PLEASE NOTE THAT, DUE TO THE WEIGHT OF THIS ITEM, SPECIAL POSTAGE CHARGES WILL BE APPLIED TO ORDERS SENT OUTSIDE OF THE UK. PLEASE ADD TO Y

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

They made some pretty good recordings back in the Jochum and Kubelik eras (Bruckner 5, being a favourite) and I enjoyed hearing them in Davis era but they seem to be on another level now
                Hiya mathias, If you mean a lower level than now I can't agree. I hear them two or three times each season in Munich and remain impressed. I can't think of too many finer orchestras.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Hiya mathias, If you mean a lower level than now I can't agree. I hear them two or three times each season in Munich and remain impressed. I can't think of too many finer orchestras.
                  Sorry, my post was unclear. I meant even better (although I'm basing that on live and studio recordings as I've not heard then live recently.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Sorry, my post was unclear. I meant even better (although I'm basing that on live and studio recordings as I've not heard then live recently.
                    Hiya mathias

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Amazon.de is continuing to have "lightning" sales until Tuesday. 'Prime Members' seem to get first dibs through a half-hour (??) preferential time slot but thereafter - for about 3 hours - sales seem to be open to anyone. One has no idea about price until the offer starts but there have been some decent bargains. Today's boxes include Abbado's RCA/Sony collection (on now - at about £23 plus postage; really well re-mastered), the Brilliant Classics Dvorak behemoth (from 11am), the Boulez Columbia Collection (another behemoth and a personal favourite - also from 11am), the Boulez DG complete works (from 3pm) and that HvK Opera box again (from 6.30pm). Postage charges seemed quite reasonable on the Richard Strauss DG Operas box when I bought it last week.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Amazon.de is continuing to have "lightning" sales until Tuesday. 'Prime Members' seem to get first dibs through a half-hour (??) preferential time slot but thereafter - for about 3 hours - sales seem to be open to anyone. One has no idea about price until the offer starts but there have been some decent bargains. Today's boxes include Abbado's RCA/Sony collection (on now - at about £23 plus postage; really well re-mastered), the Brilliant Classics Dvorak behemoth (from 11am), the Boulez Columbia Collection (another behemoth and a personal favourite - also from 11am), the Boulez DG complete works (from 3pm) and that HvK Opera box again (from 6.30pm). Postage charges seemed quite reasonable on the Richard Strauss DG Operas box when I bought it last week.
                        Good offers, all, but as I already have the earlier Brilliant Classics (40 CD) box which is mainly duplicated in the new 45 CD box, nearly all the recordings in the Boulez Columbia Collection (some in SACD transfers), the Boulez DG complete works box, and the HvK Opera box (from the previous short-term offer), this one is not so good for me.

What is the trick for finding each day's offers?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

What is the trick for finding each day's offers?
                          Go to:

or click on 'Last Minute Deals Week' on the Amazon.de home page (which can be viewed in English), then go down to 'Aktuelle Blitzangebote' and, in the drop-down menu at the top right of the section, choose 'Music'. You can scroll to the right which will give you offers for the next 24 hours. They do, though, sometimes mysteriously disappear before they even start so, caveat emptor if you are a potential buyer. Today also seems to be Beethoven symphony cycle day (Chailly; Gielen; the first HvK) all scheduled to be sold later in the day.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

genius, HD.

just bagged myself an Abbado box for £25 delivered.

THats my birthday present sorted.

Thanks for posting .
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Go to:

or click on 'Last Minute Deals Week' on the Amazon.de home page (which can be viewed in English), then go down to 'Aktuelle Blitzangebote' and, in the drop-down menu at the top right of the section, choose 'Music'. You can scroll to the right which will give you offers for the next 24 hours. They do, though, sometimes mysteriously disappear before they even start so, caveat emptor if you are a potential buyer. Today also seems to be Beethoven symphony cycle day (Chailly; Gielen; the first HvK) all scheduled to be sold later in the day.
                              Many thanks. Still nothing in the list for me yet. Will keep and eye on things.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Go to:

Many thanks!

Already got the DG Boulez, but I'm after that Boulez Columbia Box (unlike Bryn, I don't have many duplicates). But even though 20% off is great, I will hang out in the hope that I'll find it cheaper - I'm not in a hurry, so parsimony wins the day!

Comment

Working...
                                X