X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    The 50cd BERLINER PHILHARMONIKER CENTENARY EDITION 1913 - 2013 can be had new from a marketplace seller for £36.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00DYQLEZM/
    Detailed contents:

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

The New World was really good, and I thought the first three movements sounded like Ferenc Fricsay - one of my all time favourites. I wasn't sure by the last movement, and thought the whole thing might in fact be by Kubelik - and with only limited preconceptions I thought that some of the tempo variations in the finale were not quite what I remembered, or thought they should be. Memory! Turns out it was Fricsay after all. I spent ages trying to track that version down in shops on the mainland continent some years ago, having decided it was right at the top of my list. The Symphonie Fantastique is really good too - that's Markevitch according to the listing. I'm not committed yet, but veering that way!

Any sign of a similar set from Vienna?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        This Florilegium box is €66 at AmIt (just under £57 delivered) until the end of the month.
        http://www.amazon.it/LOiseau-Lyre-Va...s=028947867531
        This L'Oiseau Lyre Baroque Era box is currently £78.45 plus p&p from Presto Classical, €111.31 plus p&p from amazon.it, or just €76.90 plus p&p (£60.45 including p&p to U.K.) from amazon.fr.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          This L'Oiseau Lyre Baroque Era box is currently £78.45 plus p&p from Presto Classical, €111.31 plus p&p from amazon.it, or just €76.90 plus p&p (£60.45 including p&p to U.K.) from amazon.fr.
          Keep 'em coming. Fortunately the site informed me that I'd already had that box, so I didn't end up with a spare.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Just found these downloads - which as mentioned previously for this series are good value in the USA - but nothing like so good in the UK. Sometimes these Bach Guild issues do pop up at more reasonable prices in the UK - but not just now it seems.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Flute-Box-...=big+flute+box Big Flute Box - at 99 cents surely got to be worth a punt!

Also search for "Little Big Oboe box" (no working link) and "Little Big Telemann box".

Bach Guild seems to be a subsidiary of Vanguard - http://www.discogs.com/label/247363-The-Bach-Guild which has some interesting material in its archives. I'm not even sure if Vanguard exists as a separate entity now.

Also Bach Guild has a Facebook page - though it's no use to me as I don't do FB. and don't really intend to start. https://www.facebook.com/TheBachGuild/

Not at all sure why am.uk is sometimes at least one order of magnitude more expensive than am.usa!

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

A number of Double Deccas/Philips Duos available on Amazon for £3.99 at the moment. Also some Chandos discs for under £3.
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

This new Sony box of Boulez conducting Ravel at least contains the items left out of the big Sony Boulez box (Fanfare and Sheherezade overture), and a Daphnis et Chloe Suite 1 with the Cleveland Orchestra, also not in the box, but oddly does not have his complete Daphnis et Chloe! This listing does not say if the second Daphnis suite comes from the complete recording though. Bizarre!

Pierre Boulez conducts Ravel. Sony: 88875108732. Buy download online. Philippe Entremont (piano), Jill Gomez (soprano), Jose van Dam (baritone), Heather Harper (soprano), Jessye Norman (soprano) Philadelphia Orchestra, Cleveland Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Camerata Singers, BBC Symphony Orchestra (members), Cleveand Chorus, Members of the Ensemble...

Guess I hang on to my 3CD set to supplement the big box, but I hope there are red faces at Sony.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  A number of Double Deccas/Philips Duos available on Amazon for £3.99 at the moment. Also some Chandos discs for under £3.
                  Not able to track any of those down. Can you give us a few examples or some clues please?

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Not able to track any of those down. Can you give us a few examples or some clues please?
                    Go to advanced search 'classical'; type in either 'Double Decca', 'Philips Duo' or Chandos in the label box; select 'price ascending' and these should begin to appear on either the first or second page. Well, that's what I did.

Comment

• Kamisama
                      • Mar 2015

I find a pretty effective method is to do a classical search on "decca" and then narrow it by selecting
                      price "from £3.99 - to £3.99" (left-hand column after the results are displayed).

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
                        I find a pretty effective method is to do a classical search on "decca" and then narrow it by selecting
                        price "from £3.99 - to £3.99" (left-hand column after the results are displayed).
                        even better double decca, price low to high.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Applying this technique for another label finds this - which I'd never heard of.

George Lloyd, Vigil of Venus £3.99

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Applying this technique for another label finds this - which I'd never heard of.

George Lloyd, Vigil of Venus £3.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloyd-Vigil-...6975156&sr=1-1
                            Go for it, if his music appeals, and/or post on the British music thread.
                            Must dig my copy out and give it another spin.
                            Will be interested in what you think, if you decide to buy.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              This new Sony box of Boulez conducting Ravel at least contains the items left out of the big Sony Boulez box (Fanfare and Sheherezade overture), and a Daphnis et Chloe Suite 1 with the Cleveland Orchestra, also not in the box, but oddly does not have his complete Daphnis et Chloe! This listing does not say if the second Daphnis suite comes from the complete recording though. Bizarre!

Pierre Boulez conducts Ravel. Sony: 88875108732. Buy download online. Philippe Entremont (piano), Jill Gomez (soprano), Jose van Dam (baritone), Heather Harper (soprano), Jessye Norman (soprano) Philadelphia Orchestra, Cleveland Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Camerata Singers, BBC Symphony Orchestra (members), Cleveand Chorus, Members of the Ensemble...

Guess I hang on to my 3CD set to supplement the big box, but I hope there are red faces at Sony.
                              Also it is obviously a thrown together set of existing pressings as the PC with Entremont and Ormandy is not exactly a Boulez recording!
                              On checking the Amazon site the contents are not as stated on Presto but the three disc set plus a fourth with vocal items and the fifth with Daphnis, Sheherazade with Heather Harper, a Cleveland Daphnis Suite 2 and the Entremont LH PC.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Yes, the complete NYPO DeC appears to be on disc 1. I don't see anything there I have not already got.

Comment

Working...
                                X