X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    The Bliss really is a bargain, but it needs supplementing with Meditations on a theme of John Blow (of which there is an EMI recording, CBSO/Handley, but presumably no room to fit on one of the rejigged CDs; it was coupled with Checkmate and Adam Zero on CDC7477122).
    I quite agree, and rather a black mark that no room was found for it. Why not add an extra disc to the box and include Groves'Morning Heroes as well? As it is, the box includes two versions of Music for Strings. Go figure!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      I quite agree, and rather a black mark that no room was found for it. Why not add an extra disc to the box and include Groves'Morning Heroes as well? As it is, the box includes two versions of Music for Strings. Go figure!
      No Piano Concerto either. But maybe there's no HMV stereo version and they didn't want to trot out the Solomon from 78s? Not a work that I've ever really got my head round, but that's true of a lot of Bliss despite many attempts
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Having auditioned both of the below, these look like unmissable bargains to me:

British Composers: Arthur Bliss (Box Set) A fiver no more for 5 CDs.

Richter/Gilels: Russian Piano Sonatas £0.99 on Amazon Marketplace (includes Gilels' legendary performance of Medtner's Op.22 sonata in a truly overwhelming performance).
        Thanks SV.

I already have the Bliss and have just ordered the Russian Piano Sonatas.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Gilels' legendary performance of Medtner's Op.22 sonata in a truly overwhelming performance).
          Overwhelming and just a tad overpowering, compared to G. Tozer's excellent performance. However, Hamish Milne's is pale and not very interesting. Richter's Tchaikovsky Sonata is also outstanding.

I should have looked at the score before mentioning "a tad overpowering" - absolutely not! It's an outstanding interpretation and true to the score.
          Last edited by Pianorak; 06-06-15, 12:07.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Perhaps this box set of Wagner is now a bargain - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...1_em_sim_10_im Currently about £45.

I had several sets of Verdi during the 2013 anniversary year, and eventually succumbed and bought the EMI Wagner box. I was at the time less inclined to acquire sets of Wagner.

This box from Decca/DG does appear to be complete - or at least almost so, with the inclusion of 3 works conducted by Edward Downes which were recorded by the bBC. It is worth opening up the reviews on the site as several are quite informative and helpful. John Fowler's review on the Amazon site seems very detailed, and encouraging, and provides what seems a comprehensive list of alternative versions.

The set is claimed to be from Decca, but the image shows a box with the DG logo. Probably irrelevant now, with different companies having merged, and rebranded themselves and repackaging their products.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

About a quid per disc is a good bargain, Dave - and there are some very desirable recordings in that box ('tho' my debit card is staying in my wallet until somebody puts my mind at rest about the Levine Ring - his Parsifal and Dutchman have been the weakest performances by far in other boxes).

You're quite right - with recordings from DECCA, EMI, DG and the BBC, it makes little sense to carry the DG "badge".

Hmm. £45 (+ P&P) for the Jochum Meistersinger, the Solti Parsifal, the Sinopoli recordings and the pre-Dutchman operas. Oh dear - it's singing to me ... it's singing ... !!!!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

As mentioned on another thread, this site - http://www.baroquemusiclibrary.com/ has a large catalogue of downloadable CDs, which are currently being offered "free", though there is a suggestion for donations.

I've not tried any, so don't know how good or interesting they are, but it looks a useful resource.

Other free sites also include the music collection of the Isabella Stewart Gardiner museum - http://www.gardnermuseum.org/multimedia/performances which has some interesting music from time to time - some which may be difficult to obtain commercially at times.

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  About a quid per disc is a good bargain, Dave - and there are some very desirable recordings in that box ('tho' my debit card is staying in my wallet until somebody puts my mind at rest about the Levine Ring
                  I'm halfway through it and must say how much I've enjoyed it so far - beautifully sung, played and recorded.

Incidentally, that set has been cheaper - I paid £41.76 for mine last October.
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

For those with adventurous tastes http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e_epc__1p_2_ti 10 CDs of C20 music at less than £2 per disc. ('Umble apol's if there is any C21 stuff in there, but my Googling fingers are a little tired tonight...)

Hands up all forum members who already have all these works on their shelves without having bought this box

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      For those with adventurous tastes http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e_epc__1p_2_ti 10 CDs of C20 music at less than £2 per disc. ('Umble apol's if there is any C21 stuff in there, but my Googling fingers are a little tired tonight...)

Hands up all forum members who already have all these works on their shelves without having bought this box
                      Sadly, it's guess the composer for me with many of the pieces in the tracklistings (though I have a few, so a finger half raised!). Why is it that the composer doesn't feature in most Amazon tracklists?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Been tracking the slowly dropping price of that Sony C20 masterworks box for a while, thinking it might go sub £10 at some point and wallop....somebody tells the whole internet about it.

Sigh.........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Been tracking the slowly dropping price of that Sony C20 masterworks box for a while, thinking it might go sub £10 at some point and wallop....somebody tells the whole internet about it.

Sigh.........
                          What's your problem?

You can get it for about £15 - which isn't too far off. Now more of us know about it too.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Sadly, it's guess the composer for me with many of the pieces in the tracklistings (though I have a few, so a finger half raised!). Why is it that the composer doesn't feature in most Amazon tracklists?
                            P: yes, that is a pain, but have you clicked on the little picture of the back of the box at top left of the screen? That usually gives you composers' names against track listings, and does so fairly well here. But a) sometimes Amazon don't give you a picture of the back at all; b) sometimes they do and the CD company haven't put any useful info there anyway!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint
                              Enjoy Dave .
                              i can keep my unspent tenner, and keep ploughing through 156 instalments of the Avant Garde Project which I downloaded. for free.....
                              Thanks for yet another hint or reminder - well done! http://www.avantgardeproject.org/archive

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post

Not quite all of them, and those I have are mainly in their LP or recent mp3 manifestations. They don't all seem to be from the Sony stable. At least one started out on Wergo. I have grabbed the used box from France. It will probably be here in a couple of days. There will, of course, be not booklet. Just the 10 CDs in card slip-cases.

Details:

Comment

Working...
                                X