• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I might just go for the Derzhavina.
    Tracklistings and generous samples here:

Btw. I'm more than happy with the Andras Schiff and Brendel recordings of Haydn piano sonatas.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

C.P.E. Bach: Symphonies & Concertos (DG Collector's Edition) - 6cds, £9.99

Brahms: Works for Solo Piano, Julius Katchen: Decca 6cds, £13.90

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Another early keyboard set is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Comple...ustomerReviews Apparently now nla but for 14 discs the Marketplace price still looks reasonable though IIRC I paid a lot less than £33 for it new a few years ago

It's on 14 discs and also gives you a lot of misc Haydn keyboard works. They're played in something like chronological order on 5 'appropriate' keyboards (inc. a clavichord) that advance from a Dowd/de Nagel harpsichord for CD1 to a Broadwood piano for 14.

Schornsheim is well worth a listen in other repertoire too: her recent CPE Bach disc is excellent. She also has a JSB '48' that I'm tempted by.
        I am like Bryn, I first acquired Schornsheim's Haydn set...it is interesting to hear the early Haydn pieces on harpsichords rather than fortepianos. The same artist's "48" is very good indeed...reliable performances and on a really stunning Ruckers instrument. I was lucky and picked up the set cheaply in a sale some time ago.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          That was my first Haydn keyboard works survey. It fired my enthusiasm for Haydn's 'piano' pieces. It remains my first resort, despite the later acquisition of the Brautigam and Von Oort (et al) on CD, and the somewhat gimmicky in recording but well played Tom Beghin survey on Naxos Blu-ray Audio.
          Do you think the Blu Ray version of Tom Beghin's collection offers an advantage? I have it on CDs - it is a bit of a curiosity with the different acoustic settings.
          I can see that it comes in a surround sound version - maybe that does give a slight benefit.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I decided to go for the Derzhavina set, but I notice that some of the sellers have featured in these pages before - for non delivery. I hope that this collection does come through, and hopefully it'll be on the player in a couple of weeks time.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Do you think the Blu Ray version of Tom Beghin's collection offers an advantage? I have it on CDs - it is a bit of a curiosity with the different acoustic settings.
              I can see that it comes in a surround sound version - maybe that does give a slight benefit.
              When I got it, the Blu-ray Audio version was all that there was. The CD issue came out 25 months after.

[Just had a look at the prices on amazon.co.uk. The CD version's there is more than twice that of the Blu-rays! At Presto Classical, however, the CDs are only a couple of £ more than the Blu-rays. Still daft though.]
              Last edited by Bryn; 01-03-15, 22:17. Reason: Update

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                • Sep 2014

Picked up a copy of Janacek's Violin Sonata plus Capriccio for Piano (LH) and wind, (Naxos) reduced to £4.99 in a little shop in Southwold, Suffolk (where we were staying for a week) . (Wells Photo and Audio). This shop is rather unique as they sell a variety of interesting local books, souvenirs, and photo accessories, but also have an extensive CD section. Lots of Britten (being close to Aldeburgh) and several Alwyn Symphonies on the shelves, I noticed, plus many new releases. Well worth a visit if in the area. Amazing what you can sometimes find in a small town.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

I was sent details of some CDs from Selections. Porgy and Bess for £5.99 doesn't seem too bad a deal - though I don't know the version - http://www.selections.com/gershwin-p...cds-13039.html

There's also a Dukas opera I don't know Ariane et barbe bleue - http://www.selections.com/dukas-aria...leue-2cds.html £2.99

Comment

• silvestrione
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                    Picked up a copy of Janacek's Violin Sonata plus Capriccio for Piano (LH) and wind, (Naxos) reduced to £4.99 in a little shop in Southwold, Suffolk (where we were staying for a week) . (Wells Photo and Audio). This shop is rather unique as they sell a variety of interesting local books, souvenirs, and photo accessories, but also have an extensive CD section. Lots of Britten (being close to Aldeburgh) and several Alwyn Symphonies on the shelves, I noticed, plus many new releases. Well worth a visit if in the area. Amazing what you can sometimes find in a small town.
                    Yes indeed, I have visited the shop many times over the years (think once it was just music and photography), and glad to hear it's still going strong.

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Just dropped £25.
                      Boulez - 20th Century; 44cd, £59.10

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Elgar: Choral Music, conducted by Boult (this set: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/3679312).
                        Bought for 18 euros in Dischi Fenice, Florence!
                        A bit odd to come all this way and buy some Elgar, but the choir I sing in is doing Music Makers next term, and it seemed too good a buy to pass on, especially with the euro being the rate it is at present!

In Feltrinelli at the main railway station, Respighi Roman trilogy (Boston Symphony Orchestra/Ozawa) on DG Galleria for 6 euros, and the Solti Verdi Requiem (Chicago, with Janet Baker as one of the soloists; we're singing that next year) on RCA/Sony for 5.99 euros!

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Looks like some real bargains here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/promotion/springsale?
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                            Looks like some real bargains here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/promotion/springsale?
                            Yes indeed, with Pinnock's version of Haydn's Nelson Mass (discussed on Saturday's BAL) going for about £6.

Comment

• Oliver

I can recommend that recording of the Gershwin....I have the LPs. It came out soon after he more famous Maazel version and I preferred it. More theatrical, less operatic. Smaller orchestral forces which provide a harder, more dramatic edge. Altogether more idiomatic, more American. I much prefer Willard White's Porgy on Maazel and Rattle though.

Now available at £4.95....have just ordered! Thanks for information.
                              Last edited by Guest; 26-03-15, 12:27.

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

Dutton is currently conducting an exercise entitled 'Sale Madness'. In addition to the usual suspects they have included a much wider range of Epoch material at £4.99 than hitherto. This constitutes pages 16-21 in the link below. Made a considerable dent in what's left of this month's pension!

Comment

Working...
                                X