Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Wagner/Solti arrived today - yet another winner, hafod!
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      Wagner/Solti arrived today - yet another winner, hafod!
      Ditto
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• robk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        Ditto
        Ditto too.

Thanks Hafod

Comment

• Parry1912
          • Nov 2010

The Warner Mahler/Tennstedt box (16CDs) can be had new on the Amazon MP for about £17 inc p&p

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Have been away all week and returned home today to find my Solti Ring awaiting me. Just now listening to Rheingold and reflecting that, back in 1991 (when I could ill afford it) I shelled out £117..00 for the first CD edition. It's scarcely believable that I picked this up for just over ten quid!

Many thanks again to hafod, without whom....

Comment

• Rolmill
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
              Ditto too.

Thanks Hafod
              Ditto three, both the Dvorak/Kertesz and Wagner/Solti now safely delivered. At under a tenner, the Wagner in particular is a remarkable bargain - even by Hafod's standards!

Thanks again, Hafod.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                Ditto three, both the Dvorak/Kertesz and Wagner/Solti now safely delivered. At under a tenner, the Wagner in particular is a remarkable bargain - even by Hafod's standards!

Thanks again, Hafod.
                Amazing - I didn't realise that Solti's Ring was the CD set at under £10. Not too bothered though, as I got most of Solti's Wagner stuff as a download for not a lot a few years ago, though the track order was a bit a of a pain for one(?) of the discs. Well done, anyway! Most of the good things now seem to have gone up in price again.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks again, Hafod.
                  You will LURV this set!

When I listened for the first time, I went in reverse order; for me, it worked, as hearing the early symphonies after hearing the later ones, it somehow made sense of them, and especially as they are oft-maligned (by AD himself, in many cases!) made them fall perfectly into place..... but - that's just me...... I can't speak for anybody else.

Comment

• Rolmill
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    You will LURV this set!

When I listened for the first time, I went in reverse order; for me, it worked, as hearing the early symphonies after hearing the later ones, it somehow made sense of them, and especially as they are oft-maligned (by AD himself, in many cases!) made them fall perfectly into place..... but - that's just me...... I can't speak for anybody else.
                    That's an interesting idea, I might just try it. I have the Slovak SO/Gunzenhauser (Naxos) CDs of the first 4 symphonies and haven't been inspired by them, but tbh that's as likely to be a result of my lack of effort as it is any drawbacks in the performances. Maybe your reverse order ploy (and Kertesz's performances) will open the door for me.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

That's an interesting idea, I might just try it. I have the Slovak SO/Gunzenhauser (Naxos) CDs of the first 4 symphonies and haven't been inspired by them, but tbh that's as likely to be a result of my lack of effort as it is any drawbacks in the performances. Maybe your reverse order ploy (and Kertesz's performances) will open the door for me.
                      It would be interesting to know your impression if you do indeed take the 'reverse order' approach.....
                      But, enjoy them - you are bound to Of the early symphonies, I absolutely adore the third - and it was Kertesz that did it for me. The opening bars are sheer warmth and joy.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Two comments re the Dvorak symphonies. I have the Gunzenhauser recordings, and despite being recommended I've never really liked them much. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I felt that neither the recordings, nor the performances really worked - not for me anyway, and there are performances of the symphonies from 5 upwards which yield rewards more easily. Regarding the early symphonies, a few years ago I had access to a CD library, and I "did" the early symphonies repeatedly for several weeks - while driving to and from work.The first symphony seemed long and tedious, and as I recall, the second wasn't much better. By no 4 things have started to improve, but I'm not sure whether I really got to like number 3 much, and I'm not rushing immediately back to check, though comments here may induce me back there sooner rather than later.

I had really hoped that I would get to know and like the early symphonies, but it hasn't happened so far. My hunch is that to give them the best chance of working for you you need either the Kertesz (which I have) or the Rowicki sets.

However, I have also to mention that it took me a long while to get to like the symphonies by Glazunov, so perhaps further repeated listening to the early Dvorak symphonies would eventually pay off. Currently I'm trying to familiarise myself with some of the Mannheim composers, such as Cannabich and Xaver Richter, and that is also taking quite a while, though I am starting to gain enjoyment from these. Part of the problem is that there don't seem to be enough hooks in the music to grab the listener, and for some while many of the symphonies by these composers sounded the same. One can quite easily imagine that 18th century listeners would have noticed when Haydn and Mozart came along, as their works seem much more distinctive - and with melodic hooks, though some of the characteristics of the Mannheim composers are apparent in Mozart's works - particular in the symphonies after number 20.

Back to Dvorak briefly, I think in the first couple of symphonies there are some hooks for the listener, but I felt that the Bells of Zlonice meandered all over the place. At any one point it's not unpleasant. To paraphrase what someone once said of a book I read "This is a very long work [book] which probably contains a very good short work [book] trying to get out." Good luck to anyone who perseveres with these.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Several recordings and attempts haven't lessened the longeurs of Dvorak's first two Symphonies for me - but I love the Third and its successors. And I'm a fan of Guzenhauser's recordings of them - they have a lovely freshness to them that lets the Music speak for itself (which it does; marvellously) and never fails to raise my spirits.

Are they "better" than Kertesz or Rowicki? Almost certainly not - recorded sound and orchestral playing is better on those two sets. But Guzenhauser and the orchestra's "attitude" to the works hold their own, and they are the ones I find myself turning to most frequently when I want to hear Symphonies 3 - 6.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            .......I had really hoped that I would get to know and like the early symphonies, but it hasn't happened so far. My hunch is that to give them the best chance of working for you you need either the Kertesz (which I have) or the Rowicki sets.

.....Back to Dvorak briefly, I think in the first couple of symphonies there are some hooks for the listener, but I felt that the Bells of Zlonice meandered all over the place. At any one point it's not unpleasant. To paraphrase what someone once said of a book I read "This is a very long work [book] which probably contains a very good short work [book] trying to get out." Good luck to anyone who perseveres with these.
                            I think you've summarised very well; and I fully concur with the emboldened points, especially re. Kertesz and Rowicki.

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Back to Dvorak briefly, I think in the first couple of symphonies there are some hooks for the listener, but I felt that the Bells of Zlonice meandered all over the place. At any one point it's not unpleasant. To paraphrase what someone once said of a book I read "This is a very long work [book] which probably contains a very good short work [book] trying to get out." Good luck to anyone who perseveres with these.
                              Dvorak lost the score of No.1 when he sent it off for a competition. He never got it back and it was not discovered until 1923. Perhaps he would have revised the work as he did with No.2 in later years. I recently enjoyed listening to the old Supraphon recordings of Nos.2-4 (Neumann in 2 and 4, Smetacek in 3).

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Several recordings and attempts haven't lessened the longeurs of Dvorak's first two Symphonies for me - but I love the Third and its successors. And I'm a fan of Guzenhauser's recordings of them - they have a lovely freshness to them that lets the Music speak for itself (which it does; marvellously) and never fails to raise my spirits.
                                Knowing and loving 4 to 9 for many years I was lately quite excited to find a cheap copy of Kubelik's "Bells of Zlonice".

What a massive disappointment! - the work not the performance as far as I can judge. Also picked up a Jarvi 3 which I still feel might repay further spinning, though this wasn't great first time round either. So please, please restrain me if you spot me getting in any way tempted by a cheap copy of 2!

I've posted similar comments here about the string 4tet No 3 in D of 1869/70, a mere 63'43" (sic) of tedium Yet some boarders cherish it, so you should probably give these things a try...particularly if you're into self-inflicted pain

Where Janacek is an excellent exemplar for sudden blinding inspiration striking in old age, Dvorak is perhaps more one for the careful, self-critical development and refining of an initially prolix minor talent into genius.

[The area to the rear of the sofa suddenly beckons...]
                                Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 14-02-15, 16:12. Reason: 4 to 9, not 6 ya nit!
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X