Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

I'll Probably go tomorrow. For anybody here who is planning a visit, remember that the shop has moved and is on the opposite side of the street a few yards along from a Greggs. It's bigger than the old shop, perhaps a bit austere by comparison, but full of goodies. Stooping over the tables loaded with CDs is bad for the back, but you can always take a break from browsing and enjoy Roger's conversation.

Comment

• Don Petter

Glad to hear he's still going. Don't think I've been there since CDs came out.

Comment

• mikealdren
        • Nov 2010

Coincidentally I went yesterday. Roger prefers the new premises - lighter and more airy. More tables and fewer shelves, apparently we buy more from tables that shelves and he does have low stools but they aren't often used.

Interesting Chris bought Vixen, the other Mackerras Janacek operas were still there.

Mike

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for tip. Unaware of the shop. We will be parking in a side street around Waterloo later today before walking over the Bridge for much anticipated Andrea Chénier at ROH. I will try to make time to investigate.

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Thanks for tip. Unaware of the shop. We will be parking in a side street around Waterloo later today before walking over the Bridge for much anticipated Andrea Chénier at ROH. I will try to make time to investigate.
            Only been to Gramex once - a bit out of the way from my usual London beat but definitely worth a visit.

Coincidentally, I shall be at Chenier tonight as well - shame the weather's so lousy, I'll be spending most of the afternoon in Cafe Nero!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
              Coincidentally, I shall be at Chenier tonight as well - shame the weather's so lousy, I'll be spending most of the afternoon in Cafe Nero!
              Come un bel dì - tonight, at least.

Comment

• hafod
                • Nov 2010

This is a steal - The Operas of Wagner - Solti 36cd, £39.61

Rameau: The Opera Collection - 27cd, £25.71

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Opera...dp/B008H29YVY/
                  Thanks, hafod. Still a steal at £42.33 wot I had to pay.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                    Coincidentally I went yesterday. Roger prefers the new premises - lighter and more airy. More tables and fewer shelves, apparently we buy more from tables that shelves and he does have low stools but they aren't often used.
                    Also saves Roger & his gang work, if they can just dump the CDs on a table rather than shelve them in any sort of order. But not so good if you don't have hours to spare for browsing.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Also saves Roger & his gang work, if they can just dump the CDs on a table rather than shelve them in any sort of order. But not so good if you don't have hours to spare for browsing.
                      I've been there once. Looking through "piled" CDs - about 40-50% of the stock? - doesn't appeal to me and I won't return. Have to say, ordering off Amazon is easier and probaly not more expensive.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                        I've been there once. Looking through "piled" CDs - about 40-50% of the stock? - doesn't appeal to me and I won't return. Have to say, ordering off Amazon is easier and probaly not more expensive.
                        For me, that is the very appeal of Gramex! You never know what unexpected gems might shine through.... there's always something. I'm really looking forward to my trip now.... haven't been to Gramex for over a year.....

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          For me, that is the very appeal of Gramex! You never know what unexpected gems might shine through.... there's always something. I'm really looking forward to my trip now.... haven't been to Gramex for over a year.....
                          I also love wandering round the tables looking for hitherto unknown gems. That's how I came across the Neumann recording of the Suk Asrael Symphony that so bowled me over last weekend. Agree with Ferret that stooping over the tables does your back in and when I was last in Gramex I did make use of the stools there!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

It's OK if you have several hours, but hopeless if you are making a visit during an already crowded few days in London.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

Now £37.49!

If it is just the Solti Ring you want then it is now £9.50.

A few more:
                              Webern: Complete Edition - Boulez (6cd), £13.50

Shostakovich: The String Quartets - Fitzwilliam Qt (6cd) - £9.00

Dvorák: Symphonies Nos 1-9 - Kertesz (6cd) - £9.25
                              Last edited by hafod; 03-02-15, 10:40. Reason: Adding a few more

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Now £37.49!
                                Thanks, hafod. Still a steal at £42.33 wot I had to pay.

They obviously saw me coming! :-(
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X