X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    The studio versions of 3, 6 and 8 are in particular very very good indeed I think!
    A long while since I heard number 8. I did tend to prefer Solti - perhaps because I felt that the organ in the last movement sounded better. Anyway, will check to see if it appears in my Christmas stocking.

I see that the set also includes Das Lied von der Erde with Agnes Baltsa and Klaus König- which I don't remember hearing.

If one of the live Resurrections turns up on CD, go for it.

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

The 50 CD Florilegium box set from earlier this year is available as a download from Qobuz in two volumes for a total of £18. CD quality, not MP3s...

Listen to unlimited or download Baroque Era Vol.1 by Various Artists in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Listen to Various Artists in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month
      Steve

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
        The 50 CD Florilegium box set from earlier this year is available as a download from Qobuz in two volumes for a total of £18. CD quality, not MP3s...

Listen to unlimited or download Baroque Era Vol.1 by Various Artists in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/bar...095?qref=dac_3
        i ought to add that a 50 CD download at CD quality is going to be big - I'd guess around 18 gig. It's possible to download them as MP3s which will be a lot smaller.
        Steve

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I would just like to get the Carissimi CD out of that Florilegium box...the only one from the collection that was never issued on CD before!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

i ought to add that a 50 CD download at CD quality is going to be big - I'd guess around 18 gig. It's possible to download them as MP3s which will be a lot smaller.
            The CD set is available for under £100 from Presto - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4786753. Other sellers have it for a lot more.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

I purchased this a few months ago - some great repertoire and performances and it sounds terrific in lossless format

Comment

• hafod
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                The CD set is available for under £100 from Presto - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4786753. Other sellers have it for a lot more.
                This Florilegium box is €66 at AmIt (just under £57 delivered) until the end of the month.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Just had a look on the Qobuz site. Vol. 1 is currently £8.99, but Vol. 2 is £9.99, giving a grand total of £18.98 for the lossless 16 bit, 44.1kHz option. Since I have a €199 annual subscription which gives access to the mp3 versions of most of their catalogue, I am torn between paying the £18.98 and making do with the 320kbps mp3s. There is no mention of a digital booklet, so I think the mp3 version might win out for me, despite the higher resolution and greater convenience of the lossless option. I have not been too impressed with the Qobuz desktop lossless files I had access to for the first month or so of my subscription. They appeared to be dynamically compressed, compared to the mp3s of the same material.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    Apol's if this has been noted above and I know it's not sensational, but HMV Oxford St have racks of Decca/DG/Philips twofers for £5.99 ea. (Possibly also at the branch nearest you, but more likely not)

The two I snapped up - Handel Utrecht Te Deum etc (Hogwood) and Liszt Annees de pelerinage (Brendel/ Kocsis) - aren't to be found cheaper new anywhere in Amazonia or via the 'cheapest-CD'-hunting website I consulted.
                    Thanks for the tip. Oxford St was brutal today but I was passing for a client meeting.

Quite a decent selection they had. Emerged with the Milstein DG Twofer we were discussing the other day, Solti's CSO Bartok and Hogwood's Bach Suites. Good value for £18

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                      Thanks for the tip. Oxford St was brutal today but I was passing for a client meeting.

Quite a decent selection they had. Emerged with the Milstein DG Twofer we were discussing the other day, Solti's CSO Bartok and Hogwood's Bach Suites. Good value for £18
                      Delighted to add to your Christmas cheer!
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Excuse my extreme ignorance on these matters having never done anything with qobus but am I correct in thinking that none of these wonderful downloads can be burnt to CD?

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Excuse my extreme ignorance on these matters having never done anything with qobus but am I correct in thinking that none of these wonderful downloads can be burnt to CD?
                          Like you I have not dealt with qobuz, but I would be surprised if the downloads could not be burnt to CD. Would take some time though, so the box of CDs from Italy might be more convenient.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Yes they can burned to CD. You'll need software to do it. That can be as simple as using iTunes, but I'm sure stand alone software is also available.
                            Steve

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

As a general rule, I can't bothered or indeed see the point of burning downloads to CD - especially if shelf space is a factor. I have occasionally done it with albums which were only available as downloads or where the CD is absurdly more expensive (for example).

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                As a general rule, I can't bothered or indeed see the point of burning downloads to CD - especially if shelf space is a factor. I have occasionally done it with albums which were only available as downloads or where the CD is absurdly more expensive (for example).
                                i don't either, I only burn CDs for in car use. I haven't played a CD in the house (other than to rip it) for years. However, I'm probably not typical of the participants here, and I can see why someone might want a physical copy.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X