Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

I was lucky to look into the thread at just the right time. As I've got Amzn Prime for the moment, they tell me the Furtwangler Die W will be delivered this afternoon! So thanks a good spot. I'm glad its a good recording!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Is it free? I can't see the price.
      On the "add to cart" link (under the "Preview" - which it isn't; it's Furtwangler) it says one Euro! There must be a catch!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        On the "add to cart" link (under the "Preview" - which it isn't; it's Furtwangler) it says one Euro! There must be a catch!
        I recently downloaded 4 Bloch Quartets for a Euro

Only drawbacks were that each quartet was a single file,and not much in the way of sleeve notes, otherwise, a good quality, easy to use service. I shall use it again.

Be interesting to know what/ how many files the Wagner is split into.
        Edit: just read Beefys post,I would guess each act is a single file.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          I recently downloaded 4 Bloch Quartets for a Euro

Only drawbacks were that each quartet was a single file,...
          I must say that for operas I find it useful to have, say, a single file for each act, as is usual with Classical Music Mobile offerings, because otherwise, if one is downloading an MP3 of an opera (some people still do!), the music is usually (on other sites) broken up into chunks, as for a CD, and the gap is audible on playback, which is extremely irritating in through-composed operas like Wagner's or late Verdi's. With quartets or symphonies I usually use Audacity to create files of each movement -- easily done.

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

There must be a catch!
            The recordings are out of copyright, so all the money will likely go to the website owner. They'll probably be transcriptions from LPs.
            Steve

Comment

• Don Petter

No catch. I've downloaded two or three things (see my post #5087), including the Bloch Quartets.

The mp3 quality is fine, but no notes, artwork or other information. Price is right though, and you can usually hunt these things down on the internet.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Fantastic value box of all Tennstedt's Mahler recordings, studio and live - 16 discs for 20 quid

So as well as the studio cycle, second versions of 5, 6 & 7 performed live.

I've snapped up a copy as a present for the godson who at 16 got the Mahler bug I think when I took him to the Mahler 5 at this year's Proms.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Fantastic value box of all Tennstedt's Mahler recordings, studio and live - 16 discs for 20 quid

I've snapped up a copy as a present for the godson who at 16 got the Mahler bug I think when I took him to the Mahler 5 at this year's Proms.
                  The live 5, 6 and 7 are STUNNING

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Indeed they are mathias broucek. A great set for those alone.

Comment

• MLF

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I wish my godfather were more like you!

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by MLF View Post
                        I wished that too; my weekly pocket money was all right, but there was quite a lot of week left after buying a record

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                          Yes, I was present at that performance of the 5th and it was sensational, never to be forgotten by those lucky enough to be there. The ICA Classics DVD of the same performance just cannot capture the electric atmosphere in the hall that night.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MLF View Post
                            Awww shucks, MLF

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Yes, I was present at that performance of the 5th and it was sensational, never to be forgotten by those lucky enough to be there.
                            Count me in! I even remember the date by heart, 13 December 1988. It was the 21st birthday of a very dear family member and we had a bit of an outing to the concert - what a night!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Yes, I was present at that performance of the 5th and it was sensational, never to be forgotten by those lucky enough to be there. The ICA Classics DVD of the same performance just cannot capture the electric atmosphere in the hall that night.
                              I'm never quite sure about the "electric atmosphere". It could be very subjective - though presumably if everyone else seems to be clapping, shouting and cheering at the end, there is a high degree of satisfaction. I still remember Eugen Jochum's performance of Brahms 1st Symphony at the RFH - I think in the 1970s. Absolutely stunning - but was it electric? Was it merely my response - how would I really know that others had the same or similar or indeed a completely dissimilar, but amazing for them, experience?

There do appear to be times when one thinks that everyone else must be completely engrossed in the music, as oneself seems to be, but evidence for the "electric" phenomenon would really be hard to obtain. Gergiev's Prom performance of Shostakovich 4th was another occasion which might have justified that description.

I have felt there were others. Re Tennstedt himself, I never heard him live, and was never totally convinced by the Mahler studio recordings, but some of the live recordings of the Resurrection symphony (not in this set I think) are stunning. I may try this set, perhaps particularly for the live recordings as much as the studio versions.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                I may try this set, perhaps particularly for the live recordings as much as the studio versions.
                                The studio versions of 3, 6 and 8 are in particular very very good indeed I think!

Comment

Working...
                                X