Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Given the work gone into reproducing the original covers, and the track and recording details in the documentation supplied, to omit the texts in either printed or CD form does seem like an opportunity lost (or simply deliberately not taken because of extra costs?).

Indeed a pity.
    I agree, but if it's such a problem and you want to fix it, why not scan your texts yourself, and make your own CD ROM, then pass on the originals? Some of us might prefer printed material to a CD ROM, but since you appear to find that acceptable then scanning would be pretty much equivalent, and would reserve some of your shelf space.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I agree, but if it's such a problem and you want to fix it, why not scan your texts yourself, and make your own CD ROM, then pass on the originals? Some of us might prefer printed material to a CD ROM, but since you appear to find that acceptable then scanning would be pretty much equivalent, and would reserve some of your shelf space.
      I think that Pulcinella was hoping that he was dealing with a professional company ... not an bunch of greedy share-holder pleasers who expect their customers to be thrilled to be required to be DIY experts too

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

... why not scan your texts yourself, and make your own CD ROM, then pass on the originals?
        In the past I experimented with scanning CD booklets and the results were always unsatisfactory - with either text reminiscent of faxed documents or extremely large files (or both). Never mind the tedium of scanning the blasted things, then having to arrange the separate scans into a single pdf file.

I gave up thinking "life's too short".

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Pet: have you come across this wonderful site http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/ ?

While it concentrates on the solo-song repertoire (in all languages despite the ref to Lieder), you may well get lucky on a choral work too if someone else has set the same text for solo voice.

And of course you may some day really need a translation of Schubert into French or Spanish...
          A marvellous site which I use a lot especially since many bargain reissues have no texts. I don't print them but attach the texts to lyrics field of the tracks on my database of recordings. Very useful for translations of unfamiliar languages, eg Russian. Given the extent of the repertoire, it could never be totally comprehensive and you sometimes have to search elsewhere for more obscure items. Also, they don't carry poems still in copyright, eg Auden, Eliot, but these can usually be tracked down.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Thanks for comments and suggestions, folks.
            I fear that the shelves will just have to groan a little longer, and partner's exhortations to clear them out will have to be endured a little longer too!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

I'm looking for a bargain box of J S Bach's complete organ music.

I've been reliably informed that the Hurford set is good,but a bit pricey.
              Simon Preston's set has also been recommended,it looks very reasonable in the listing below.
              There is also Marie Claire Alain which looks an absolute steal.
              Maybe there's a better one.

Any thoughts folks ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

A year or so back I got the Chapuis set cheaply - and it's still cheap. French organs, and perhaps also a French style of playing IIRC. On the other hand some of the sets with, for example, Silbermann organs, are stratospherically pricey. Short sample here - http://open.spotify.com/track/5Ne1Bl4b2syEr3G2lKPXRy

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

The Marie-Claire Alain set is cheap, but it is her second version on modern organs..she did a third on historic instruments which I guess is more expensive.

I bought the Koopman on Warner some time ago and am very happy with it, but I think its price is still around £50.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Well, seems the Real Chopin will materialize - although a bit dubious about tomorrow. But what's the hurry?
                    La fecha estimada de entrega es:
                    sábado, 08 de noviembre de 2014
                    Hm, Saturday delivery indeed, but Chopin Songs instead of The Real Chopin, despatched from Dunfermline/UK, but had to email Amazon.ES. Only hope my Spanish was vaguely ok, although did back up with English.
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Hm, Saturday delivery indeed, but Chopin Songs instead of The Real Chopin, despatched from Dunfermline/UK, but had to email Amazon.ES. Only hope my Spanish was vaguely ok, although did back up with English.
                      I seem to recall that it was some confusion re. the catalogue numbers of the songs and the boxed set which led to our getting our bargain basement sets those years ago. Best of luck.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

That doesn't sound good - must check the original advert. May need to seek help re a return - what a pain. I assume that under the Distance Selling Regulations returns would be in order.

Will wait to see what happens next. I could get this looked at by a Spanish speaker.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

. May need to seek help re a return - what a pain.
                          Thanks, Dave. No help needed but a pain it is. Item was sent from Amazon in Dunfermline but the return label is for Madrid. Got to prepay postage but will be refunded. Well, chalk it up to experience - but never again!
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

don't think I have seen this flagged up elsewhere:

Haydn complete quartets, Buchberger Quartet, Download. £9.00
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              don't think I have seen this flagged up elsewhere:

Haydn complete quartets, Buchberger Quartet, Download. £9.00

That's an oportunity not to be missed by those who bought the big Brilliant Classics Haydn box which lacked just a few of the quartets (they were yet to be recorded at the time of the big box's release). I got the boxed CD set for less than its current asking price. Do not hesitate (though yo will miss out on the excellent programme notes, I suppose).

[Ah. Be careful. If you follow the mp3 link it reports only volume 1 of 3, and the track listing reflects that. It looks like it is not the full survey at all.]

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

somebody tell me this is a bad deal, rubbish quality, and I will spend the next 6 months burning things I don't undertand and will never listen to...before I do !!

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X