X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, thought I would post here.

Can anybody recommend a decent box of Mozart operas at a good price?

Nothing particular in mind, not worried about having everything, but certainly to include the most popular ones.

Any good?

Wha about the performances in the Brilliant classics complete edition?

All thoughts welcome !!
    Cheers.
    My favourites have long been the Ostman/L'Oiseau Lyre performances, collected in a box some time ago, but now far too expensive...

...about time Decca reissued them again!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      Yes, that's a fantastic box, ts. Terrific performances of the da Ponte operas and the Magic Flute. The Erich Kleiber Figaro and the Bohm Cosi are perhaps my favourite recordings of those operas, with phenomenal casts, but the other two are also very good. You can't get a better introduction to the major operas than this set, imv.
      I agree that it's a reasonable box at the price, though the recordings will probably sound their age. At the price it's very good value at present - I paid a fair proportion of that asking price simply for Fricsay's Don Giovanni a while back - though here it's the Magic Flute which is conducted by him.

Decca have a box which at one time was available very cheaply - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Compl...=mozart-operas

There's also JEG's collection - which also has been cheap in the past - http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=565818

You can find a few other versions individually - such as Muti's Don Giovanni which are are very good. I agree about Östman's Drottningholm recordings.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

This set of CDs by Charles Rosen seems reasonably priced -around £28 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=typ01 and has some interesting pieces - several by Carter.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          This set of CDs by Charles Rosen seems reasonably priced -around £28 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=typ01 and has some interesting pieces - several by Carter.
          I am intrigued to know whether they have at last sorted out the editing mess in all previous CD releases of Rosen's recording of the Stravinsky Movements. Let's hope so.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I am intrigued to know whether they have at last sorted out the editing mess in all previous CD releases of Rosen's recording of the Stravinsky Movements. Let's hope so.
            Is there a track listing anywhere?
            Presumably the timing would be different (longer) if the missing repeat is restored than it is in the Stravinsky Edition.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Have ordered this, despite now having some duplicated CDs to dispose of: the complete Columbia recordings made by Pierre Boulez.

Particularly pleased to see that this will restore some of Heather Harper's singing (in Berg and Ravel) to the catalogue. Also this recording of the Falla harpsichord concerto got honourable mention on another thread.

Looks like a bargain to me!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Is there a track listing anywhere?
                Presumably the timing would be different (longer) if the missing repeat is restored than it is in the Stravinsky Edition.

I've not yet been able to find a track listing with timings. I will keep looking.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

The Real Chopin box seems to be available on amazon.es at a good price -

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B003DQIQ7C
                    That's a great price for this endlessly fascinating set of recordings - bravo vints - that's the Billecart-Salmon btw

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      That's a great price for this endlessly fascinating set of recordings - bravo vints - that's the Billecart-Salmon btw
                      Let's hope that this one doesn't turn out to be one which gets cancelled.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Let's hope that this one doesn't turn out to be one which gets cancelled.
                        That's always to be wished for surely, Jonah

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Muchas gracias! Dedos cruzados.
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Nostalgia corner: in 2011 this was one of the best bargain alerts ever on this thread, when some of us got Real Chopin box for £9.97. It must have been priced in error as one CD. A great set which I have played a lot.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, that must have been the bargain of all time...I bought three sets! But still an excellent price today, it is a wonderful collection.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                That's always to be wished for surely, Jonah
                                Sorry about that - but we had a batch of unfulfilled and perhaps too good to be true alerts only a few weeks ago. This one looks possible - so fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                X