Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Actually, first posted on 12 July at #4640. Admittedly, it has gone down in price by 6p since then.
    I should have known, hafod - my apologies

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Brahms Choir Works

This isn't a new notification, but I really want to second teamsaint's enthusiasm for this boxed set. I've mentioned it on the What are you Listening to? Thread, but in case atyone missed it:

Recently, I've been checking the discs in various boxed sets that the "Bargains" Thread have tempted me to get (just shows that it's sometimes good to yield to temptation), so I haven't been actively listening as such, but I must wholeheartedly endorse teamsaint's recommendation of this set of Brahms' works for Choir (unaccompanied, or with Piano, Organ and, on a couple of works, Harp and Horns):

Now the price itself is tempting - eight CDs for under £6 including P&P. But, apart from the Liebeslieder-Walzer, the repertoire isn't very well-known, and there are some titles that sound a bit "dry": 13 Canons Op113; Motets; Coruses; 12 Lieder und Romanzen; Quartette etc: it might sound as if old Johannes was in suet pudding mode when he wrote these works.

But no: it is one of the most joyful boxes of Music it has ever been my pleasure to encounter - wit, inspired melodic invention, genuine pathos, and (above all) a real sense of the composer's pleasure in writing the works. I had thought that it might be a case of listening to just a couple of works from each disc rather than go through over an hour of un/sparely accompanied choir works, but no - the infectiousness of the Music compels further listening. The performances match the quality of the Music - the Chamber Choir of Europe and the Amadeus Choir combine the precision of professionals with the verve and enthusiasm of amateurs (a rare but precious combination) and in Nicol Matt they have a conductor who really knows the full gamut of Brahms' mastery.

My thanks to ts - this is a real find and already a treasured part of my collection. Like him, I cannot recommend it enthusiastically enough: go on! Six quid?! plus change for the bus fare home: unmissable!
      Roehre's comments are also (as ever) excellent, too.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        This isn't a new notification, but I really want to second teamsaint's enthusiasm for this boxed set. I've mentioned it on the What are you Listening to? Thread, but in case atyone missed it:

This has all the making's of Caliban's previous sales promotion effort on behalf of the Gielen/BPO Mahler symphony no.7 on Testament

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          This has all the making's of Caliban's previous sales promotion effort on behalf of the Gielen/BPO Mahler symphony no.7 on Testament
          Got that, too!

Comment

• jut1972
            • Jun 2013

Gunter Wand great recordings for less than 20 quid at base.com

Worth it for the Bruckner alone!

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jut1972 View Post
              http://www.base.com/buy/product/g-nt...24a9322650a0da

29 CDs - track listing at - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88691911552

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

The base.com supply has now dried up, but am-uk still has the Günter Wand set for around £23 with free delivery.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jut1972 View Post
                  http://www.base.com/buy/product/g-nt...24a9322650a0da

But note the LP-sized box

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

With recommendations from ferney, ts and Roehre etc. how can one resist? Arrived this morning - wonderful.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection from Amazon UK Prime at £10.16 inc p&p for 12 CDs and a DVD
                      We’re writing to let you know that the following items have been unexpectedly delayed:

Byron Janis "Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection"
                      I hope this isn't going to result in one of those long shaggy dog communications, with zero end result.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Just taken a punt on a used copy of this. Must be value in it somewhere?

Anybody have it?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I have that one - seems OK IIRC.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that, as I didn't know there was a second volume.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

A fine bargain you have there. Not a duff item in it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

I have most of these recordings on previously issued discs: they're all very good (especially the Carter and Berio works: Hollinger's Schönberg is wonderful, too) and at under £2 per CD (incl P&P) you've got yourself a splendid bargain. (Damn shame APEX didn't see fit to squeeze Boulez' recording of Ferneyhough's Funerailles onto one of the discs as well, though! )

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

Three interesting new box sets:

Charles Rosen - The Complete Columbia and Epic Album Collection - 21 discs, £37.99 (No contents list yet).

Lili Kraus - Complete Recordings 1933 - 1958. Warner 31 discs, €38.26. Am.Fr had this originally for €32 (when I pre-ordered it) but it shot up to €56 last night. It has yet to appear on Am.Uk.

Leonard Bernstein Edition - Concertos and Orchestral Works - 80 discs from Sony, £71.99. (Full contents list not yet found and presumably the same ridiculous LP size box of the Symphony Edition).

Comment

Working...
                                X