Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

If they all set out, it'll be a case of I can't get no Satiesfaction.

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      If they all set out, it'll be a case of I can't get no Satiesfaction.

Taking the Mick again, @Noggo?!

Anyway,amazon reviewers are surely Gatekeepers of high culture, not ornery folk like R3 presenters.......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Intriguing. There did not seem to be any negative reviews on amazon.com and none at all on amazon uk. Currently there's a new one for £1.99 + 1.26 = £3.25, and a few used ones for 70p each = £1.96p. I'll be interested to hear more about this one - though I might just buy it anyway on Bryn's recommendation.
        The negative review was in some record magazine or other. I reckon the amazon.com customer reviews pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Taking the Mick again, @Noggo?!
          Steady teams, you'll cop a whack from his 'irony' stick

I hope the Skye weather isn't wearing you down

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The negative review was in some record magazine or other. I reckon the amazon.com customer reviews pretty much hit the nail on the head.
            I think it's on Spotify, so can "try before you buy" - http://open.spotify.com/track/0iMU5zUhB2bdHaGtpJ28kw

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Oh .
              Mind you, i was only buying it as a holiday read for the beach....
              Don't apologise - it's an astounding book. One of the best music books ever written, IMVHO.

What a task he set himself, and how well he carried it out.

Alex Ross manages to take an enormous, unwieldily and complex subject matter and place it all, along the way, within a plausible historical context.

If you want more insight and coverage of the obvious omissions, buy an anorak first!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Just discovered that one of my favourite Satie CDs is up for grabs at 1p from Zoverstocks. Just search amazon.co.uk's music section for "satie piano works john white" (without the quotes) and then opt for "CD Format". The disc got at least one pretty negative review around the time of its release. That can only have been written by someone with little empathy for Satie's muse.
                http://www.allmusic.com/album/caress...e-mw0001816749

Not sure if that is the negative review - but there is this comment -
                White's playing in all these miniatures is uniformly clean, evenly controlled in tone, and almost deadpan in expression, which is suitable for this enigmatic and subdued music.
                I feel that just about sums it up. I've heard more emotional performances of Satie's music - which raises questions about what Satie intended.

John White - for those who don't know - http://www.allmusic.com/artist/white-mn0001838592 and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_White_%28composer%29

Listeners can make what they will of White's performances. How they interpret them may be a kind of aural equivalent of the Kuleshov effect for films - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_Effect Throw in a few suggestive words, such as "contemplative", "spiritual", "timeless", "other worldly" and away you go.

On the other hand "measured", "expressionless", "unemotional", "undynamic", "uninvolving" will send you in a different direction.

As a composer/pianist I don't find his playing as compelling as John McCabe - http://www.johnmccabe.com/ who has made some very good recordings of Haydn sonatas.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Just discovered that one of my favourite Satie CDs is up for grabs at 1p from Zoverstocks. Just search amazon.co.uk's music section for "satie piano works john white" (without the quotes) and then opt for "CD Format". The disc got at least one pretty negative review around the time of its release. That can only have been written by someone with little empathy for Satie's muse.
                  Bryn - sounds great, but can you provide the link?

Is it the Art Nova CD?

Cheers, Nick

PS I tried what you suggested but it doesn't 'come up'

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I think this was Bryn's link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...sr=1-1-catcorr

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Thank you Dave2002

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

There is a copy on Amazon for 1p from Zstocks again of a record issued by Decca about 10 years ago called Great Singers of the Fifties - coupling della Casa in the Four Last Songs, Flagstad in the Wesendonck Lieder and Ferrier in the Three Ruckert Lieder - worth anyone's money and a favourite of mine as a programme as well as showcasing three magnificent and legendary performances.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          There is a copy on Amazon for 1p from Zstocks again of a record issued by Decca about 10 years ago called Great Singers of the Fifties - coupling della Casa in the Four Last Songs, Flagstad in the Wesendonck Lieder and Ferrier in the Three Ruckert Lieder - worth anyone's money and a favourite of mine as a programme as well as showcasing three magnificent and legendary performances.
                          Presumably this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Voices...isa+della+casa

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Having clicked that link, I was again struck by Amazon's appallingly slapdash attitude to tracklistings. It is not even one of their worst efforts. No composers. No umlauts on Rückert, Frühling. Misspellings: Wesendonk, wollt', Straublein.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Having clicked that link, I was again struck by Amazon's appallingly slapdash attitude to tracklistings. It is not even one of their worst efforts. No composers. No umlauts on Rückert, Frühling. Misspellings: Wesendonk, wollt', Straublein.
                              Try this one, and try to figure out what the pieces are and who were the composers!

I suspect they cheat and use CDDB or similar to save time and money.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Try this one, and try to figure out what the pieces are and who were the composers!

I suspect they cheat and use CDDB or similar to save time and money.
                                I download the details of every CD I buy onto a database on my computer using FreeDB or CDDB. It is very useful for avoiding donkey work data entry but I always have to edit - sometimes heavily. There is little consistency, especially on track title where for me you do not need to include artist or composer, for instance. These belong in their own separate field.

Comment

Working...
                                X