Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
      Poulenc Complete Works (20CDs) on EMI for £24.96 at Amazon
      A set to go for

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

There are so many sets to go for though, e.g. Giulini, Ansermet, Walter, etc, etc

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          There are so many sets to go for though, e.g. Giulini, Ansermet, Walter, etc, etc
          There is only one complete Poulenc.
          The Giulini, Ansermet, Walter etc. are only doubling recordings of works which are available manifold already, works which are gathering dust on my shelves anyway.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            There is only one complete Poulenc.
            The Giulini, Ansermet, Walter etc. are only doubling recordings of works which are available manifold already, works which are gathering dust on my shelves anyway.
            I don't have any recordings by Bruno Walter that are gathering dust . I was thinking only the other day how so often it is his recording I want to listen to of a particular piece .

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Used copies of "the Rest is Noise" have come down to around £6 inc p and p on amazon.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Used copies of "the Rest is Noise" have come down to around £6 inc p and p on amazon.
                Ten a penny would be more like it, surely?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Getting mine delivered to my holiday lodgings somewhere off the west coast of Scotland ......perhaps.
                  A bargain , surely?

You not a fan of this weighty tome, Bryn?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Getting mine delivered to my holiday lodgings somewhere off the west coast of Scotland ......perhaps.
                    A bargain , surely?

You not a fan of this weighty tome, Bryn?
                    Indeed not. Far too 'Hurrah for the U.S. of A.', and way too glib in its contextualization, to my mind. Better than the dreaded Norman, of course, but not that much. I never thought I would say it, but give me Paul Griffiths for superior insight.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Indeed not. Far too 'Hurrah for the U.S. of A.', and way too glib in its contextualization, to my mind. Better than the dreaded Norman, of course, but not that much. I never thought I would say it, but give me Paul Griffiths for superior insight.
                      Oh .
                      Mind you, i was only buying it as a holiday read for the beach....

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Just discovered that one of my favourite Satie CDs is up for grabs at 1p from Zoverstocks. Just search amazon.co.uk's music section for "satie piano works john white" (without the quotes) and then opt for "CD Format". The disc got at least one pretty negative review around the time of its release. That can only have been written by someone with little empathy for Satie's muse.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Just discovered that one of my favourite Satie CDs is up for grabs at 1p from Zoverstocks. Just search amazon.co.uk's music section for "satie piano works john white" (without the quotes) and then opt for "CD Format". The disc got at least one pretty negative review around the time of its release. That can only have been written by someone with little empathy for Satie's muse.
                          Sold. I trust you.

Well, to the tune of £1.27 anyway !

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Sold. I trust you.

Well, to the tune of £1.27 anyway !

I take it you read the amazon.com customer reviews (neither by me) before parting with that princely sum.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Oh .
                              Mind you, i was only buying it as a holiday read for the beach....
                              Go ahead! IMHO Rest is Noise is a really good effort at making comprehensible sense of C20/21 music without requiring any technical knowledge on the part of the reader.

But beware - it can lead to itchy Amazon fingers - along the lines of, "I must really find out what Tristan Murail sounds like"

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

I take it you read the amazon.com customer reviews (neither by me) before parting with that princely sum.
                                Intriguing. There did not seem to be any negative reviews on amazon.com and none at all on amazon uk. Currently there's a new one for £1.99 + 1.26 = £3.25, and a few used ones for 70p each = £1.96p. I'll be interested to hear more about this one - though I might just buy it anyway on Bryn's recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                                X