• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I think some secondhand copies still available on amazon.com (tho' not amazon.co.uk... ).

Very much looking forward to getting the Hogwood box .
    When they were coming out in individual vols I havered and didn't bite - now I shall find out what I was missing...

But so sad the incompleteness!

It seems strange indeed that the boxed set does not include the recordings of 76 and 77. The BBCMM disc artwork clearly states that the recordings were licenced from Decca, and the recording engineer, producer and editors were each previously directly involved in the Oiseau-Lyre series. Can the licence for the BBCMM disc really have been so much of the exclusive variety as to prevent Decca from including it in the set?
    Last edited by Bryn; 28-04-14, 22:05. Reason: Sorting out of smartphone induced errors.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I couldn't agree more, Bryn - and would be extremely annoyed to think that I wouldn't be getting two symphonies extra - a non-completion of a non-completed series, highly frustrating!

Comment

• Pegleg
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Qobuz has religious music on sale for those not allergic to downloads in lossless FLAC until April 30.

CPE Bach: Die Auferstehung und Himmelfahrt Jesu, La Petite Band/Kuijken/et al: €5.59 http://www.qobuz.com/album/bach-carl.../0034571154787
        Also available direct from Hyperion Records, £5.50 for the CD inc p&p (now on budget Helios label), or £4.99 for download mp3,FLAC, or ALAC

<p>The death of Georg Philipp Telemann in 1767 paved the way for his godson, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach to take up the position of Director of Music in Hamburg. Prior to that C P E Bach had been working for Frederick the Second of Prussia in Berlin but longed for a greater musical freedom and stylistic flexibility that working in Hamburg would offer him. This included the composition of three oratorios, including the one presented here.</p> <p>C P E Bach worked on <i>The Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus</i> in collaboration with the librettist Karl Wilhelm Ramler from 1781, and in 1787 it was published by Breitkopf. A letter from the composer to his publisher subsequently revealed he considered it to be one of his greatest masterpieces—a reflection agreed upon by audiences at the time, and succeeding generations of composers, including Haydn and Beethoven who both drew inspiration from it.</p>

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Lots of 1p bargains from Zoverstocks on Amazon today (+ £1.26 p&p). They do this from time-to-time and I often find the discs, many from premium boutique labels, are, in fact, new.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
            Lots of 1p bargains from Zoverstocks on Amazon today (+ £1.26 p&p). They do this from time-to-time and I often find the discs, many from premium boutique labels, are, in fact, new.
            I haven't an easy way of spotting those Zoverstocks bargains, but this Living Stereo Vol 2 seems to have gone down in price - though I'm still not sure that I want it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=697386

Comment

• Mark Meldon

1p Bargains

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I haven't an easy way of spotting those Zoverstocks bargains, but this Living Stereo Vol 2 seems to have gone down in price - though I'm still not sure that I want it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=697386
              Right!

Search "Classical" but leave the box blank. That will bring up hundreds of thousands of discs!

Than scroll down on left-hand side and enter 0.01 -0.01 in the price box then click go.

That will bring up 400 pages of CDs.

Then in drop-down box towards top of right-hand side click on, if you like, "release date" and presto!

You will have a list of tempting purchases.

Or you can search by composer.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm stocking up for the winter season already with 40+ bought today!

Good luck.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Thanks Mark, picked up a couple of interesting looking discs from your tip off !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Mark

Thanks for the hints. It still took quite a bit of scanning, but I've tried a tentative few (7) including Rubbra's 5th Symphony, and a Richard Egarr Bach CD,
                  and one of cello music (Inspirales), and Ravel chamber music (Carmirelli Quartet).

There was a (2CD!) set of Wagner Flying Dutchman - which I skipped. Is that complete? Sawallisch I think, though seems to have gone now.

Wagner Symphony was available.

If anyone else finds any stunning bargains please repost - I gave up after under 20 pages. It was a bit easier ordering the pages in Release Date order.
                  Also, somewhat oddly, sticking a single letter - e.g "b" in the search box gave different results quite quickly. There's no point in ordering in Popularity order,
                  as that'll take forever to filter out the pop and cross-over stuff.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Indeed many thanks, Mark. If you can speed-scroll through pages of Hayley Westenra et al, there are some gems. Vaughan-Williams 4 & 5 conducted by the composer and Sir JB respectively in the very good Mike Dutton transfer; Mahler 1 & 2 conducted by Bruno Walter - all for 0.01p each plus postage - were still there 10 minutes ago. My finds included Hamish Milne playing Medtner, a 2-disc collection of Takemitsu and the 3-disc set of Elgar conducting his First and Second Symphonies plus Falstaff (Volume 1 of EMI's Elgar Edition). No guarantee, of course, of the condition of the discs which I have sometime found to be an issue with Zoverstocks but at the price being asked ......

I definitely need to see an addiction therapist.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      - all for 0.01p each plus postage -

That would be even more of a bargain!

Thanks, Mark. I have four gems on the way.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        That would be even more of a bargain!

Thanks, Mark. I have four gems on the way.
                        Oops. £0.01, of course. Brain addled from all that surfing.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Oops. £0.01, of course. Brain addled from all that surfing.
                          Not a wee wishfu' thought, then?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Hmm. Verily, a top tip but wading through scads of Il Divo and Diamond Jubilee: A Classical Celebration, you do earn your penny bargain with this approach.
                            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              Hmm. Verily, a top tip but wading through scads of Il Divo and Diamond Jubilee: A Classical Celebration, you do earn your penny bargain with this approach.
                              I got to page 70, with about seven or eight possibles saved off, before giving in. Then whittled them down to four.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Don't give up too soon if taking the release date path. On page 100, for instance, I found:

oboe+: berio and beyond; CD by Christopher Redgate (oboe) and friends - full background information and free MP3 sound clips.

Comment

Working...
                                X