Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

Thanks.
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• MLF

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
      The Essential John Tavener [5CD Box] £15.13 .. worth having?
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Jo...dp_tracks_all_
      I would suggest that a good rule of thumb is that that any collection with the word "Essential" in the title ought perhaps to be avoided.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MLF View Post
        I would suggest that a good rule of thumb is that that any collection with the word "Essential" in the title ought perhaps to be avoided.
        Except that most Essential collections are compilations of 'bc's. I have not strong dislike or affection for Tavener but I would say this one is a collection of Naxos' Tavener output - complete works on 5CDs - slotted into an outer sleeve - so if you want to try him out you can probably dispose of them separately if you don't want them. At £3 a throw good value!

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

The same might be said to apply to radio programmes.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Yes - marketing "speak" is seriously off-putting. Just a posh way of saying "Best of...."

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

anything worth having in here?
              There look to be some tempting bits, like the Mossolov.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Looks like a jumble sale that has been hit by a tornado - bits of just about anything and everything.....

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  anything worth having in here?
                  There look to be some tempting bits, like the Mossolov.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
                  Cheap not necessarily cheerful - lots of Nanut and Scholz there -good value or shelf clutter - you take your choice.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Looks like a jumble sale that has been hit by a tornado - bits of just about anything and everything.....
                    and not very well known performers, so my first instinct is to avoid, although some of the lesser-known stuff may reveal a hidden gem or two.....?

Comment

• jut1972
                      • Jun 2013

Have a read of this post on the same box:

To summarise, don't.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jut1972 View Post
                        Have a read of this post on the same box:

To summarise, don't.
                        Interesting!

Also - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...gs/FB5iTFSo0iU

It's not always a scam to have orchestras and performers appearing under different names. Is the "scam" mentioned here on the same level as Hattogate?

One of the performers mentioned in the debunking post seems to be a decent pianist - Dubravka Tomsic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlatti-So...eywords=Tomsic It is possible to find some of her performances on Spotify - though often in monster collections of short bits put together.
                        Last edited by Dave2002; 23-03-14, 11:45.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                          Thanks.
                          radio64

I'm not sure whether the "thanks" here are for a green light, or an "avoid" signal. I'd say that if you really think you'd like Tavener's works then the box is a reasonable buy, but if you're not so sure then maybe listen to some Tavener before plunging in. Also depends whether you find £15 a trivial amount or not. There is also a Decca CD which thinks it's "Essential" - http://open.spotify.com/track/72VonxOMPRfuUTb0PWCuxT

I happen to like some of Tavener's work - though whether I'd want a lot of it is another matter.

Did you go for the packaged Naxos set?

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I know that I have seen the Barshai set of Shostakovich Symphonies touted here before, but I am at present on a long train trip and I downloaded the set of 15 with the Cologne Orchestra in mp3 sound for $8.00. So far I've only listened to 5 & 10 but this is truly a breathtaking bargain.

Comment

• remdataram
                              • Mar 2011

Amazing CD Box Set bargains at Presto Classical to suit every taste and budget.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ More drain on the finances!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Best price found so far is MDT at £34.35 but there is postage to add (unless the order exceeds £50).

https://secure.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pag...=HMX2908601-30
                                THe Harmonia Mundi 30 CD " Music of the Enlightenment" set is £15 plus P and P direct from HM on tax dodgers market place.

I am assuming from the listings that it is quality stuff.
                                It had better be......

Edit: I'm almost intrigued enough to try that Russian 40 CD set, given the odd interesting item....but not quite, even at around £12.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X