X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    What interesting company you keep, Dave!
    I don't think he was a knight in shining armour. I believe it tended to go rusty, and needed a special cleaning procedure.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Recommendations from 15th century anoraks welcome
      Well, I'm in my Middle Ages so go for it, HiDoug! (I don't know this disc, but the stuff from the Manuscript that I do know is wonderful - and the Hilliards were at the peak of their considerable powers when they made this recording, so sounds a very safe bet. In fact, I might even have a punt myself, so thanks for the nudge! )
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I don't think he was a knight in shining armour. I believe it tended to go rusty, and needed a special cleaning procedure.
        Always carry a can of 2-in-1, I guess!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Well, I'm in my Middle Ages so go for it, HiDoug! (I don't know this disc, but the stuff from the Manuscript that I do know is wonderful - and the Hilliards were at the peak of their considerable powers when they made this recording, so sounds a very safe bet. In fact, I might even have a punt myself, so thanks for the nudge! )
          Done. So now I can reply to Thropps that, yes, actually I do have Queldryk in my collection. Never heard of him when I woke up this morning and now I'll have his complete oeuvre - all two works of it - gracing my shelves, to sit alongside Pérotin and the Pet Shop Boys.

Comment

• amateur51

Done. So now I can reply to Thropps that, yes, actually I do have Queldryk in my collection. Never heard of him when I woke up this morning and now I'll have his complete oeuvre - all two works of it - gracing my shelves, to sit alongside Pérotin and the Pet Shop Boys.
            A line worthy of DON, I reckon HD

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

Has that been a victim of austerity cuts, too?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Ams

Touché

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

That would have prevented him from being squeaky clean.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Is that one of those ECM, Jan Garbarek-type releases?

Incidentally, the Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed disc under your link is one I have: highly recommended:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Is that one of those ECM, Jan Garbarek-type releases?

Incidentally, the Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed disc under your link is one I have: highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hall-Manuscr...sim_sbs_m_h__1
                      Aargh! You have reminded me of that Jan Garbarek tootling horror of a CD which has me switch off R3 even faster than Clemmie. Recommendation of 'Ars Britannica' duly noted: I may await the next French Amazon "4 CDs for €20" offer where they tend to have quite a few of these 2-disc reissues of Das Alte Werk on offer - 'Carmina Burana' and some Bach cantatas were acquired this way a couple of months ago.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

The forthcoming (March 3rd) release of the RCA Living Stereo vol 2 is at a good price - for anyone who wants that sort of thing - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=typ01

60 CDs for under £50.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

These recordings of Chopin piano music now seem available at a good price - around £11 - http://www.selections.com/chopin-c-t...rks-15cds.html

Also at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new check the postage, which might be cheaper.

I may have these already, or something similar, so will have to check.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Prokofiev symphonies on 4 CDs for under £6 - maybe a limited time offer - http://www.selections.com/prokofiev-...-1-7-4cds.html The price might go up next week.

Also via Amazon with a postage charge of £1.26. Bulk buys direct from Selections will probably be cheaper on a per item basis, but may be more for just one single item. For just one item the £1.26 Amazon marketplace charge is competitive.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Prokofiev symphonies on 4 CDs for under £6 - maybe a limited time offer - http://www.selections.com/prokofiev-...-1-7-4cds.html The price might go up next week.

Also via Amazon with a postage charge of £1.26. Bulk buys direct from Selections will probably be cheaper on a per item basis, but may be more for just one single item. For just one item the £1.26 Amazon marketplace charge is competitive.
                              A good set, although to my ears slightly over-refined for Russian music

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                                A good set, although to my ears slightly over-refined for Russian music
                                I have it and think it's an excellent set with some superb and very idiomatic playing by the orchestras. I have a great admiration for Weller as a conductor and saw him conduct the CBSO at Symphony Hall a couple of years back in a memorable concert.

Comment

Working...
                                X