X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

A couple of real bargains here. Did I not already have both ...

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      A couple of real bargains here. Did I not already have both ...
      Both now ordered - thanks for the tip-off. I know little Berio, and the Sequenzas only by reputation, so look forward to exploring.

Comment

• robk
        • Nov 2010

Thanks from me too. I am surprised that I have nothing by Berio in my collection so it is high time I explored his work.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
          Both now ordered - thanks for the tip-off. I know little Berio, and the Sequenzas only by reputation, so look forward to exploring.
          Lucky! The clearance appears to be effective, as some of the items, including the Berio CDs, are now showing as out of stock. There is (or was) some good stuff in there.

I may have tried to play Sequenza 1 in my previous life.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
            Thanks from me too. I am surprised that I have nothing by Berio in my collection so it is high time I explored his work.
            quite a few other Berio CDs a decent prices new and used on Amazon, RobK.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

The Sound of Martha Argerich 3CDs
              Sold by: Selections UK
              Quantity: 1
              £6.99 each

LISZT- A Portrait 30CDs
              £14.99 each

LUTOSLAWSKI- String Quartet
              £2.99 each

RAMEAU- Anacreon
              £2.99 each
              are on their way.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I'll risk mentioning this Berio CD, also from Selections - http://www.selections.com/berio-coro.html

Is it worth having? If it is, I expect that it'll be cleared out quick, as with the other set which I missed.

Today I found this recording of Don Giovanni conducted by Krips for under a fiver - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Don-Giovanni...s+don+giovanni However, I think it's essentially the same as the one available from Classical Music Mobile for 1 Euro as a download. Even with a recording that old it is possible that the CD might sound better - though it's by no means certain.

There's also Muti's version for under a tenner - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Don-G...i+don+giovanni (currently £7.29)

Both of these sets are available with Autorip, so available almost immediately for those who care about such things. In one case this is cheaper than the MP3 download!

There do seem to be quite a lot of decent versions of Mozart operas available at low prices - I guess most of the punters willing to fork out money are more interested in One Direction!

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I'll risk mentioning this Berio CD, also from Selections - http://www.selections.com/berio-coro.html

Is it worth having? If it is, I expect that it'll be cleared out quick, as with the other set which I missed...!
                  It's the "old" DGG recording. Go for it (and you'll get it for much less than I paid 20-odd years ago

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

OK - will do - if still available.

In the meantime, there's this set of choral music/sacred pieces for fractionally under a tenner - 15 CDs. Probably most of us will have a few already in other, possibly better, performances, but unlikely to have all of the pieces - http://www.selections.com/sacred-mus...ion-15cds.html

You'll perhaps also note the Beecham/Los Angeles version of Puccini's La Boheme - http://www.selections.com/puccini-la-boheme-2cds.html for £5.50,
                    and Serafin/Di Stefano I Pagliacci for £2.50 - http://www.selections.com/leoncavallo-i-pagliacci.html.
                    Last edited by Dave2002; 07-01-14, 18:25.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Is it worth having? If it is, I expect that it'll be cleared out quick, as with the other set which I missed.
                      Good price although I believe there's no text enclosed. (Over 50% of the text of Coro is in English but isn't always clear and there are bits in other languages.)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

The Sound of Martha Argerich 3CDs
                        £6.99 each

LISZT- A Portrait 30CDs
                        £14.99 each

LUTOSLAWSKI- String Quartet
                        £2.99 each

RAMEAU- Anacreon
                        £2.99 each.
                        are on their way.
                        Except, the package that arrived today did not include the Liszt, which is shown on the packaging note as "to follow". Why do I have this sinking feeling?

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Gergiev's Mahler cycle (10 hybrid SACDs) with the LSO on LSO Live, can be had for £20 delivered from Amazon.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                            Gergiev's Mahler cycle (10 hybrid SACDs) with the LSO on LSO Live, can be had for £20 delivered from Amazon.
                            The Amazon.co.uk listing says they're CDs, rather than SACDs. Still quite a bargain if you can stomach Gergiev's Mahler though.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

The Amazon.co.uk listing says they're CDs, rather than SACDs. Still quite a bargain if you can stomach Gergiev's Mahler though.
                              Than you nanny, but the product listing states 'Box set, Hybrid SACD'. The photograph of the front of the box has the SACD logo, and the rear of the box has Hybrid SACD as well as the SACD logo. There is no doubting that the discs are hybrid sacds.

Sorry to hear about your stomach.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Than you nanny, but the product listing states 'Box set, Hybrid SACD'. The photograph of the front of the box has the SACD logo, and the rear of the box has Hybrid SACD as well as the SACD logo. There is no doubting that the discs are hybrid sacds.

Sorry to hear about your stomach.
                                Bryn and Hafod

Is Gergiev's Mahler so terrible? I have the Mahler 8 disc already - having been to the live performance. In many ways that really was dreadful, because of the acoustics of St Pauls, but I'm not sure that we can blame Gergiev for that - though one might question anyone's judgement in playing the piece in that venue. As Gergiev himself commented in a programme around the time of the performance, there is a sort of splendour in the performance/recording in the cathedral - so one might get to enjoy it even if it is a muddled mess. The recording is similar to, though perhaps better than, the live experience in this case. I also heard a performance of Mahler 8 in Liverpool Cathedral a long while ago - arguably equally splendid and equally dreadful. On that occasion, which may have been first for a very long time, seated under the organ we were blasted out at the opening by the organ, but the orchestra, choir and soloists were a long way away - quietish and seemed like seconds behind IIRC - probably only a few 100 ms in reality.

I have heard that performances of Mahler's 8th in proper concert halls, such as the Birmingham Symphony hall (as conducted by Rattle) work relatively well.

I might be tempted to pick up the other Gergiev Mahler recordings at the price mentioned - unless of course they really are dreadful.

Comment

Working...
                                X