Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    I just love them for what they are - old friends beautifully recorded. A substantial majority would seem to agree.

I would agree with this assessment.

It should also be remembered that 'Living Stereo' didn't imply use of any special recording process. It was just the term thought up and used by the marketing people for all RCA stereo issues at that time.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      There was a fair amount of comment on these boards when the first box came out as Living Stereo releases were previously quite pricey. Many of them in terms of recording quality were ahead of their time and many of the performances were very fine indeed. I passed on the first box because of heavy duplication but for me this appears to be much less of a problem for box 2. I have yet to check this carefully. The problem is that a number of these recordings have also turned up in much smaller Sony boxes. I have been caught before waiting to order and the price going up. However, as I said there is no difficulty cancelling so I can carefully check for duplication over the next couple of weeks.

I have always regarded (most) Living Stereo recordings as something of a benchmark not least because many of them were the first I heard of a particular work (a teacher at school ran a music appreciation society and acquired them as they were issued). Others can write more knowledgeably and objectively on the musical merits of the performances. I just love them for what they are - old friends beautifully recorded. A substantial majority would seem to agree -

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Stereo-.../dp/B003UCPEJ2
      I have about 3/4 of the discs that hafod listed in one format or another. The Living Stereo recordings have been repackaged umpteen times. I expect their next incarnation will be as High Resolution downloads

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

I've just taken delivery of the Gunter Wand box on Sony which I think has been discussed above but I can't find where. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In answer to one question there is a credit in the booklet for remastering, though I have yet to listen. I have the old Brahms and Beethoven sets, which are firm faves, so fingers crossed. I am watching the DVD, a half hour biog and then 1.5 hour interview with GW, which I expect you can find elsewhere if you look, but which in any event is fascinating. At 90 he had perfect recall of events in the '30s.

I see there is a Bruno Walter box in the same series, but it is proving hard to track down any other sets in the series. BW is a family fave as he bore than a passing resemblance to my grandfather,

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Rarewaves; I've had one or two problems with this supplier (mainly through Amazon) in the past, but gave them benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

By the way, there are some splendid prices over at jpc.de. Haydn String Quartets from Buchburger Quartet on Brilliant Classics (excellent, IMHO) for €19.99 for starters. I bougght the big pink Arthur Rubinstein box for €130 back in the summer. Postage to UK is €5.99 and I've found Jpc very prompt to deliver and well-packed (that's Germans for you!). Jpc own CPO and might, I think, be something to do with Naxos, nowadays, but I'll stand corrected on that.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

For downloaders, Qobuz has some excellent finds if one digs around in its 'promo' section: http://www.qobuz.com/recherche?q=qua...d&i=boutique&f[genres_list]=Classique&s=sf

e.g.
              Frédéric Chopin: Polonaises, Rafal Blechacz €1.99
              Bach: Brandenbourg Concertos, Alessandrini €6.99
              etc.
              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

I havent the stamina to read through 372 posts to see if this has already been said, but the 63 CD set of Fritz Reiner's RCA recordings is definitely a bargain. All (most, anyway?) issued originally on vivid stereo LP, now re-issued for practically nothing ... a bit over a pound a CD. Just collected it, now all I have to do is play 63 CDs. Give me a day or two, then I'll comment.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  I havent the stamina to read through 372 posts to see if this has already been said, but the 63 CD set of Fritz Reiner's RCA recordings is definitely a bargain. All (most, anyway?) issued originally on vivid stereo LP, now re-issued for practically nothing ... a bit over a pound a CD. Just collected it, now all I have to do is play 63 CDs. Give me a day or two, then I'll comment.
                  You mean this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fritz-Reiner...s=reiner+fritz ?

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
                    .....Jpc own CPO and might, I think, be something to do with Naxos, nowadays, but I'll stand corrected on that.
                    If true (and I have no reason to suppose otherwise) then that would explain why periodically they have many cpo discs for €2.99. Currently, there are about 70.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Full listing here.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Full listing here.
                        Now where to get it for "a bit over a oound per CD"?
                        River people price is a tad more than £1.44p per CD. The whole box is currently £91.20.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Now where to get it for "a bit over a oound per CD"?
                          River people price is a tad more than £1.44p per CD. The whole box is currently £91.20.
                          ...and if we're really penny-pinching some discs, as they are mimicking the original issues are quite short times. As a Reinerphile it's annoying that some of them are not available as separate issues - I have about 80% of them, some from recent purchases of Sony boxes.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

I just ordered Volume 1 of the first Mercury Living Presence Box. I've had Volume 2 for a few months and enjoyed it immensely although I will admit there are several CDs that I haven't played and may possibly never get around to. At that time when I checked on Volume 1 it was sold out and going for around $500 used. Now some "new" copies are listed for $115 (60 CD box), which is somewhat curious for a supposed limited release. I guess that some dealers must have bought many copies hoping to get the big mark up when they sold out and are now coming back to reality.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Just a little reminder that today is the last day of Europadisc's 30% off Naxos issues promotion. Just cost me an arm and a leg.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                I just ordered Volume 1 of the first Mercury Living Presence Box. I've had Volume 2 for a few months and enjoyed it immensely although I will admit there are several CDs that I haven't played and may possibly never get around to. At that time when I checked on Volume 1 it was sold out and going for around $500 used. Now some "new" copies are listed for $115 (60 CD box), which is somewhat curious for a supposed limited release. I guess that some dealers must have bought many copies hoping to get the big mark up when they sold out and are now coming back to reality.
                                rfg

I hadn't realised thqt you didn't already have the Mercury 1 box set. Like you I didn't bite the first time round, but here in the UK it did come round a 2nd time maybe a year ago. There are some really nice things in box 1 - I was less sure of box 2, though I succumbed eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X