Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    For the same outlay one can purchase the Leon Fleisher/George Szell set of the Beethoven and the Brahms Concertos.
    So not "either/or" but "both", rf?

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

For the same outlay one can purchase the Leon Fleisher/George Szell set of the Beethoven and the Brahms Concertos.
      And Mozart Piano Concerto No 25 thrown in as well.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

I am downsizing my collection by burning them to a hard drive, and yesterday burned Roy Goodman's Schubert Symphony set on Brilliant. I listened to most of it again and except for the "Great" C Major, which is to swift and matter of fact for my taste, this is a very good and cheap set. The playing is quite fine and devoid of any HIP nastiness (squally oboes, wiry strings, etc)
        Available S/H very reasonably on Amazon or Amazon again.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I love Goodman's cycle..the only drawback over the box set is that you don't get the original fillers of the 2 Overtures in the Italian Style, which are favourites of mine. I can't understand why Nimbus didn't add them.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            If quick, you can get those with the symphonies thrown in for around £22 (new but shelf worn) from the amazon.co.UK marketplace.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

As much as I rate and enjoy those performances the Barenboim/Klemperer set is my touchstone for these works in particular the Fifth .Such magnificent music making for £8 delivered is a great bargain . I paid about £15 for three cassettes in 1988 and £5 for the LP of the Fifth in 1984.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                • Dec 2010

A BBC investigation finds working conditions at an Amazon warehouse in the UK that an expert in stress says could cause "mental and physical illness".

I make no judgment, merely drawing everybody's attention to it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

it will be interesting to see amazons next set of results.
                  There are certainly signs in the publishing industry of resistance to them from consumers this year, although I wouldn't put that as more than anecdotal evidence.

Buy elsewhere or through marketplace if you can, is my advice.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25034598

I make no judgment, merely drawing everybody's attention to it.
                    Many thanks for posting this link, Alain ;ok:

Monitoring your workers in this way is not unique to Amazon, but I find it reprehensible and inhuman wherever it happens. A checkout assistant at my local Sainsbury told me that she is expected to clear one item past the bar-code reader every seventeen seconds. If she doesn't meet this, she can expect a ticking off at best. That's why checkout staff often race things through and then help you to pack & pay.

Similarly I offered a BT Gas Service engineer a cup of tea on his last visit, which he declined, explaining that he has a set time allocated for each job. He said if he had time after the job was done he'd gladly stop for a cuppa and a natter, but ...

I think that somehow this should be resisted - it's inhumane and unnecessary. But I'm not clear about what part I could play.
                    Last edited by Guest; 25-11-13, 11:11. Reason: trypo-city - apols

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Many thanks for posting this link, Alain ;ok:

Monitoring your workers in this way is not unique to Amazon, but I find it reprehensible and inhuman wherever it happens. A checkout assistant at my local Sainsbury told me that she is expected to clear one item past the bar-code reader every seventeen seconds. If she doesn't meet this, she can expect a ticking off at best. That's why checkout staff often race things through and then help you to pack & pay.

Similarly I offered a BT Gas Service engineer a cup of tea on his last visit, which he declined, explaining that he has a set time allocated for each job. He said if he had time after the job was done he'd gladly stop for a cuppa and a natter, but ...

I think that somehow this should be resisted - it's inhumane and unnecessary. But I'm not clear about what part I could play.

Not easy, Ams. I guess those workers in Swansea would rather have the job than not.
                      However, long term we can't just shrug our shoulders and accept a race to the bottom.
                      I'm not really sure either, other than the very simple device of supporting those businesses who seem to operate in a decent fashion. That isn't always easy to determine either, viz, M and S getting caught using dodgy supply chains.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

I imagine it's pretty common for companies to have such fixed expectations to use in planning operations and schedules.

Unless it's changed since my experience, Tesco delivery drivers have six minutes for each delivery stop, even if it involves taking five different crates up several flights of stairs in a block of flats.

It's what the companies do if workers don't or can't comply that matters I suppose.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          [/B]

I'm not really sure either, other than the very simple device of supporting those businesses who seem to operate in a decent fashion. That isn't always easy to determine either, viz, M and S getting caught using dodgy supply chains.
                          I mentioned to a lawyer friend who is involved with breaches of employment law that the prices at a certain clothing store suggest that their products were made in sweatshops by 12 -year old children. He "reassured" me that they were almost certainly the same sweatshops used by luxury clothing stores, who do not trouble to pass on the savings to the customer.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            [/B]

Not easy, Ams. I guess those workers in Swansea would rather have the job than not.
                            However, long term we can't just shrug our shoulders and accept a race to the bottom.
                            Agreed teams and frankly it's a race against time to support local independent bookshops - two have closed in eighteen months here, despite my custom

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              I imagine it's pretty common for companies to have such fixed expectations to use in planning operations and schedules.

Unless it's changed since my experience, Tesco delivery drivers have six minutes for each delivery stop, even if it involves taking five different crates up several flights of stairs in a block of flats.

It's what the companies do if workers don't or can't comply that matters I suppose.
                              My guess would be that most of these workplaces are ununionised too. Individual workers who protest/don't comply can be picked off with ease, even if they are the ones who build the company's reputation for service by giving that elderly person on the third floor an extra 90 seconds to unload their shopping and have a natter at the same time

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                                I mentioned to a lawyer friend who is involved with breaches of employment law that the prices at a certain clothing store suggest that their products were made in sweatshops by 12 -year old children. He "reassured" me that they were almost certainly the same sweatshops used by luxury clothing stores, who do not trouble to pass on the savings to the customer.
                                Seriously angry and fed-up now

Comment

Working...
                                X