X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Sir Colin Davis/Dresden boxed set (6CDs)

Cracking Elgar 1!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Excellent suggestion, Dave: could Audacity sort out the "tape hiss", too? (Comments above suggest that the sound has been much improved in subsequent remasterings.)
      Maybe, but if better remasterings are available, probably better to go straight there.

If you've already got that version you could maybe ask over at the techie board for tips. Unfortunately hiss can be wide range of frequencies, so can perhaps be tamed a bit rather than removed using simple filters. It's much easier to reduce a single frequency, such as mains hum, and hope that no instrument in the recordings uses that frequency!

You can experiment and it might be amusing and or interesting, but it may not be a good way to spend your time unless you are looking for enlightenment or new experiences.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        If sent from within the EU, or indeed Switzerland, there should be no problem re. import surcharges.
        Does Switzerland get dispensation from HMRC? Not quite an EU member!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          You can experiment and it might be amusing and or interesting, but it may not be a good way to spend your time unless you are looking for enlightenment or new experiences.
          Ooh - I dunno: "amusing and interesting" ways of finding "enlightenment [and] new experiences" sounds like a pretty "good way to spend [my] time.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Does Switzerland get dispensation from HMRC? Not quite an EU member!
            It does indeed, which is why I made a special mention of it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              Cracking Elgar 1!
              All the encouragement I need - duly ordered. Thanks for the heads-up, Hafod and Ams

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                All the encouragement I need - duly ordered. Thanks for the heads-up, Hafod and Ams
                Surely this is the same Elgar 1 which took the BaL crown, replete with Davis's grunts of encouragement?
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  Cracking Elgar 1!
                  I really didn't like it - I felt I was being hectored throughout . I much prefer his earlier RCA version.Let alone the live Proms Boult and the King's Lynn Barbirolli .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    Surely this is the same Elgar 1 which took the BaL crown, replete with Davis's grunts of encouragement?
                    I remember the BaL choice being the LSO Live version, very much replete with CD's grunts. The one in the Profil box is from Dresden. I can't imagine that it'll be grunt-free but I'm hoping that in what I assume will be a more spacious acoustic (Semperoper, presumably) they might be a bit less distracting.

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Naive (6cd equivalent) Messiaen set for £4.99 as an MP3 download.

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

I remember the BaL choice being the LSO Live version, very much replete with CD's grunts. The one in the Profil box is from Dresden. I can't imagine that it'll be grunt-free but I'm hoping that in what I assume will be a more spacious acoustic (Semperoper, presumably) they might be a bit less distracting.
                        My memory agrees with Thropplenoggin, I'm sure it was the Dresden version.

Comment

• Stephen Smith

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          I think the Dresden recommendation is from the previous BAL. I enjoyed it enough to get it, and now also enjoy the ICA classics Boult Proms live performance. Davix may groan (moan?) on the Dresden recording, but for sure on a fluffed Horn note, you can hear s "Ssssss..." from him.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                            Duh! I was wrong - the LSO Live Elgar conducted by Colin Davis which was a BaL recommendation was the second symphony. The first, as recommended by the inimitable David Owen Norris on 17th March 2007, was indeed the Dresden performance. Grunts here we come ....

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Duh! I was wrong - the LSO Live Elgar conducted by Colin Davis which was a BaL recommendation was the second symphony. The first, as recommended by the inimitable David Owen Norris on 17th March 2007, was indeed the Dresden performance. Grunts here we come ....
                              Inimitable he may be - his judgment is ropey IMO .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Inimitable he may be - his judgment is ropey IMO .
                                And in mine too!

Comment

Working...
                                X