Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Dave 2002. Delighted that you managed to get the download to work. I have that BIS Essential Sibelius set on cds and it is exactly that - 'essential' - and is why (despite it being a download) I flagged it up originally. As you imply it does make one wonder about getting the complete set despite the expense. So far I have the Orchestral Works and the Theatre Music.

Regarding the Kempff, I have much of this from previous reissues notably the complete 1950s concerto recordings on DG Original Masters. Again, based on the sample I have, a strong recommendation.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

A propos du Kempff

Nous sommes désolés...

Les achats de titres MP3 sont uniquement disponibles aux clients résidant en France. Vos paramètres de paiement 1-Click par défaut doivent être configurés avec une adresse de facturation en France et une carte de paiement délivrée par une banque française. Pour de plus amples informations, vous pouvez vous reporter à nos conditions d'utilisations de la boutique Amazon MP3.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I use Head and Shoulders...works just fine !!
        Re msg 3101 isn't "schuppen" the correct word? Maybe you know some English slang I've not heard about.

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

#3107: So one can buy cds from AmazonFrance with a UK address and UK card but not a download. Is there any logic to this?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            #3107: So one can buy cds from AmazonFrance with a UK address and UK card but not a download. Is there any logic to this?
            Not much. I wonder if it's against EU trading laws.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Re msg 3101 isn't "schuppen" the correct word? Maybe you know some English slang I've not heard about.
              just me overdoing the banter, Dave.

I would put me on ignore !!

sorry !!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                Plenty here to tempt me to part with my money. What are jpc's postal charges outside Germany?
                Last edited by Petrushka; 28-06-13, 17:13.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Plenty here to tempt me to part with my money. What are jpc's postal charges outside Germany?
                  UK delivery is €5.99 irrespective of number of items.
                  jpc Online-Shop - wählen Sie aus mehr als 4 Millionen CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays und Büchern. Portofrei ab 20 Euro und bei Bestellungen mit Buch.

Whenever I have ordered, the sterling equivalent has always come up somewhere during the order process, but I don't recall where - perhaps right at the end? Sorry not to be more helpful.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Not much. I wonder if it's against EU trading laws.
                    I doubt it. It's to do with the way that digital rights are administered.

Individual countries are allowed their own agreements with rights owners - or more likely it works the other way round, rights owners are allowed their own agreements with individual countries.
                    Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                      I doubt it. It's to do with the way that digital rights are administered.

Individual countries are allowed their own agreements with rights owners - or more likely it works the other way round, rights owners are allowed their own agreements with individual countries.
                      So why is that not discriminatory? I don't think it works like that with the CDs. There can be effective price differences for products such as CDs due to delivery charges and different tax regimes, but not arbitrary discriminatory pricing, and presumably not refusal to supply, which would surely be against trade regulations. Why should this not apply to downloads? What is the logic of that? It presents an arbitrary barrier to trade.

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

So why is that not discriminatory? I don't think it works like that with the CDs. There can be effective price differences for products such as CDs due to delivery charges and different tax regimes, but not arbitrary discriminatory pricing, and presumably not refusal to supply, which would surely be against trade regulations. Why should this not apply to downloads? What is the logic of that? It presents an arbitrary barrier to trade.
                        Ah! This is big business and it makes it's own rules while the politicians (well, most of them) look the other way.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Back to that Play.com Essential Sibelius: Although the tracks seem in a more or less random order, when they are dropped into iTunes they seem to fall mostly into place. However I think the tags for CD 15, which has piano music, are incorrect, so that "CD" will take some sorting out, and since I don't actually know all the pieces that might take a bit o guesswork, or cross checking against other recordings or the scores if I can find them. Otherwise, despite the hassle of getting the tracks downloaded it does seem to have been a worth while effort. Maybe if I can find the art work for the CDs I will be able to check the contents more easily - is there an on-line source?

I had thought that the symphonies would be the same as those in the collection with Vamska, but I now think they are in fact mostly different versions, even when the orchestra is the same. Seems a fine collection overall, and certainly worth the rather small outlay, but note the pain of downloading unless Play.com fix the possibility of downloading one or more zip files. Allocate about 2 hours to do it the hard way!

Comment

• robk
                            • Nov 2010

Back to that Play.com Essential Sibelius: Although the tracks seem in a more or less random order, when they are dropped into iTunes they seem to fall mostly into place. However I think the tags for CD 15, which has piano music, are incorrect, so that "CD" will take some sorting out, and since I don't actually know all the pieces that might take a bit o guesswork, or cross checking against other recordings or the scores if I can find them. Otherwise, despite the hassle of getting the tracks downloaded it does seem to have been a worth while effort. Maybe if I can find the art work for the CDs I will be able to check the contents more easily - is there an on-line source?!
                            There is a complete listing on the BIS site: http://www.bis.se/album_info.php?aID...697-1700#table

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                              There is a complete listing on the BIS site: http://www.bis.se/album_info.php?aID...697-1700#table
                              Thanks for that. I think there may still be some work to be done down at individual track/movement level, but that should certainly help a lot. I think it's only CD 15 which is seriously difficult, presumably because of incorrect or insufficient meta-data. I'll report back later in a few days or so, when I've looked into this further.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for that. I think there may still be some work to be done down at individual track/movement level, but that should certainly help a lot. I think it's only CD 15 which is seriously difficult, presumably because of incorrect or insufficient meta-data. I'll report back later in a few days or so, when I've looked into this further.
                                I was alerted to the Essential Sibelius by this thread and have the impression that with these recording life is simpler with the CD box (£44.99 post free at Sainsbury's) rather than downloads. There is a good 130 page booklet with texts and translations and with quite a lot of individual tracks (nearly 200) you have a clear overview of what is actually there.

Comment

Working...
                                X