X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Yes it has to be a modern piano for me, I haven't yet delved into the world of fortepianos and such like, sorry hippsters.
    ... that's all right - I think you're still young - plenty of time to come to appreciate what is for some an acquired taste!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... that's all right - I think you're still young - plenty of time to come to appreciate what is for some an acquired taste!
      I feel a new thread coming on.......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

The DG Complete Messiaen edition is being re-released, this time 32 CDs plus 400-page booklet in English and French, including complete sung texts and libretto for £89.95, but £78.95 + p&p from MDT.

It sold out first time around, I think so don't take too long about your decision this time

Comment

• amateur51

Some outstanding lieder singers with one of the great piano accompanists in this cheap-as-chips 10-CD boxed set devoted to Gerald Moore.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            The DG Complete Messiaen edition is being re-released, this time 32 CDs plus 400-page booklet in English and French, including complete sung texts and libretto for £89.95, but £78.95 + p&p from MDT.

It sold out first time around, I think so don't take too long about your decision this time

http://www.mdt.co.uk/messiaen-olivie...-dg-32cds.html
            Looks to be a straight forward re-issue with the same content and presentation format as the original issue. Don't think I will bother ordering extra copies to hoard and re-sell later via the Amazon Marketplace.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I am sure it has been mentioned before but the Petrenko Shostakovich recordings are £3.99 including delivery from Sainsburys .
              Not for the 7th though. That's £6.99 at Sainsbury's Entertainment.:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Looks to be a straight forward re-issue with the same content and presentation format as the original issue. Don't think I will bother ordering extra copies to hoard and re-sell later via the Amazon Marketplace.
                Do you recall how this price compares with the original, Bryn?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Do you recall how this price compares with the original, Bryn?
                  I'm afraid not. I seem to recall 'pre-ordering' it from hmv.com. However, whereas I can trace my amazon orders to check what I paid, the same does not apply to hmv.com and I deleted the old emails relating to it long ago. I think it was of the same sort of order as the re-issue price.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Dave,that is just a wonderful post,so interesting and informative.
                    Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put that together.
                    I have ordered the Buchbinder complete set,like I said to good to miss at £20.
                    Yes it has to be a modern piano for me,I haven't yet delved into the world of fortepianos and such like,sorry hippsters.
                    I listened to Buchbinder in the last movement of sonata 52 in E flat - http://open.spotify.com/track/2UvraXsfddIdlmI0HJ5SJm
                    Very fast, perhaps not possible on older instruments. That apart, really good. I might go for that set myself, modernish piano notwithstanding. Here is McCabe - lovely - but not the breakneck speed that Buchbinder attempts - http://open.spotify.com/track/35hzLZziVucL2GgFxlHXcj - rather more reflective.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

More Verdi

Is this worth having - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88883703692

Can be obtained for around £50. However, has some older and possibly questionable interest wise CDs.
                      Personally I already went for the EMI Verdi box and the Decca/Universal one. Does the Sony one offer anything extra?

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Is this worth having - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88883703692

Can be obtained for around £50. However, has some older and possibly questionable interest wise CDs.
                        Personally I already went for the EMI Verdi box and the Decca/Universal one. Does the Sony one offer anything extra?
                        Bergonzi, Caruso...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

the download is a shedload of SQs for silly money.
                          I already have the Dvorak, but at £7.50 must be worth a punt for the Janacek, Smetana and Martinu?

Mathias Broucek has already ordered !!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Czech-String...tamitz+quartet

the download is a shedload of SQs for silly money.
                            I already have the Dvorak, but at £7.50 must be worth a punt for the Janacek, Smetana and Martinu?

Mathias Broucek has already ordered !!
                            Likewise I'd recommend the Stamitz Dvorak Quartet box which I've had and enjoyed for a while. The new box has rather too much duplication. The Stamitz also contribute to the complementary Brilliant Chamber Music box

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              The new box has rather too much duplication. [/URL]
                              Although at the mp3 price, even if you have the Dvorak already, you still get the 2 Janacek, 2 Smetana and 7 Martinu quartets (5 virtual discs) for £7.50 which is still pretty cheap!

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

For those who are interested in high resolution (24 bit) downloads, Qobuz have a fair few Chandos at 7,34 Euro (usual price £15.99) at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X