Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

C) Unlike people in here, I don't call them tax dodgers, slag them off, then hypocritically buy at their great prices!

[/QUOTE]

Another custard pie with a scatter gun trajectory which I feel vaguely splattering in my face. I do call them tax dodgers, (because they are). Since revelations about their dubious activities I have not bought a single CD from them, even if this has meant paying slightly more elsewhere. If I did decide to buy from them again, I would not be put off by being labelled as one of the "people in here" who behave "hypocritically". They are clearly not so evil that anyone criticising one aspect of their behaviour should necessarily feel morally obliged to have nothing to do with them.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Since revelations about their dubious activities I have not bought a single CD from them, even if this has meant paying slightly more elsewhere.
      I too, gurnemanz - and I wrote to them explaining why I would not. I have since that time, last year, been using prestoclassical mainly (and also europadisc). Prestoclassical were very good with a CD set which had unaccountably failed to turn up and dispatched a replacement straight away even though it would be at a loss to them and the failed delivery was almost certainly not their fault. In fact nearly two weeks after their replacement had arrived, the originally ordered set turned up - presumably it had been sitting in some sorting office - so I returned this to prestoclassical with thanks for their customer service. I'd rather pay a bit more and support local companies here.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        Lucky devil!!! (only knowing the violin concerto) You have so much excellent stuff to discover!!!

And lucky devil #2 for receiving the blessed thing! Mine's been put back to an 8th of May earliest possible delivery!!!

This is wrong because:
        A) I spend a fortune in Amazon
        B) Prime member
        C) Unlike people in here, I don't call them tax dodgers, slag them off, then hypocritically buy at their great prices!

Hope it turns up soon, Beefy.
        They are tax dodgers.But they made a loss on the Sinopoli, so I don't feel bad about it.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

I've received an email today teling me that my copy of the Sinopoli box may arrive mid-May

Still, they haven't cancelled it

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I've received an email today teling me that my copy of the Sinopoli box may arrive mid-May

Still, they haven't cancelled it
            My single copy arrived yesterday (As mentioned earlier they cut the order from 2 to 1 but did honour the low price for it). The Sony Schoenberg/Boulez box arrived the day before.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              My single copy arrived yesterday (As mentioned earlier they cut the order from 2 to 1 but did honour the low price for it). The Sony Schoenberg/Boulez box arrived the day before.
              Bugler, I've forgotten to order that

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Bugler, I've forgotten to order that
                Sainsbury's Entertainment was my source.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Mille grazie

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    I have since that time, last year, been using prestoclassical mainly (and also europadisc).
                    Do they pay tax then, aeo?

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                      Do they pay tax then, aeo?
                      I think so, veri - at least, I don't have evidence to the contrary, whereas there is some strong evidence about Amazon's tax avoidance activities. AFAIK prestoclassical is based in Leamington Spa and europadisc in Nottingham.

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        I think so, veri - at least, I don't have evidence to the contrary, whereas there is some strong evidence about Amazon's tax avoidance activities.
                        Really, Amazon should be paying taxes, but they don't make the rules.

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                          Really, Amazon should be paying taxes, but they don't make the rules.
                          No, that's true. Amazon do however choose to minimise their tax exposure in countries where they are making considerable profits, at the same time benefiting from all the facilities - from a functioning legal system to good transport infrastructure, a national health system and an educated workforce - that require considerable amounts of taxation. That is their choice. Mine is not to patronise them.

Comment

• Parry1912
                            • Nov 2010

I miss hafod
                            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                              I miss hafod
                              Me too

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                                Me too
                                Has he gone? For good?
                                A shame if so. I spent a lot, arguably with his help, but also saved a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X