Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Like the look of this one. Only saw Kubelik once (BRSO, 1980) when he did Mahler 1 and the one I'd like to hear in this set is the Concertgebouw Mahler 5.
    Please check this Petrushka. AFAIK Kubelik never recorded Mahler 5 with the Concertgebouw. He did 1 and songs IIRC.
    Mahler 5 might be Bavarian RSO or VPO.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      My difficulty with Zover is that they do not seem to realize that 'very good' according to Amazon's criteria does not mean several surface marks and/or scratches even if the disc plays perfectly. It may be a hangover from the days of LP but I do not like discs that are marked which is why I only buy cds that are listed as 'very good' or above. As I can't rely on them to accurately describe what they are selling I now very rarely use them - a pity as I have had some very fine condition discs from them.
      Fair comment - I recognise what you say. I was relieved that CDs can handle the surface scratches that LPs couldn't. I don't have the sensitivity about this that you have, but Zover are guilty of what you say.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        Fair comment - I recognise what you say. I was relieved that CDs can handle the surface scratches that LPs couldn't. I don't have the sensitivity about this that you have, but Zover are guilty of what you say.
        I bought a used one from them that came with scratches and seemed to have had a sugary drink (I hope that's what it was) spilt on it... It needed a wash with warm water first Looks a mess even now but plays fine.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Please check this Petrushka. AFAIK Kubelik never recorded Mahler 5 with the Concertgebouw. He did 1 and songs IIRC.
          Mahler 5 might be Bavarian RSO or VPO.
          Mahler 5 Concertgebouw 21 June 1951

It's not a studio recording - it's live, and has been on Tahra as well.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

Thanks for the correction PJPJ. This one has obviously escaped my attention.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

Thanks PJPJ. This performance is contemporary with Klemperer's famous account of the Resurrection given 3 weeks later.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

US readers might like this Mozart download set for 99 cents - http://www.amazon.com/Big-Mozart-Box/dp/B00B5Q7M90

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

The Sinopoli /Schoenberg etc set has returned to a more normal price.......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Previously posted on the Haydn thread, this 4cd set of Haydn Divertimenti is now even cheaper at £3.96.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Anyone had confirmation of despatch yet?
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Anyone had confirmation of despatch yet?
                        Yes, Amazon confirmed that my set has been dispatched this morning. Arrives tomorrow on Amazon Prime free trial.

UPDATE: I was wrong, it is the one order NOT arriving tomorrow from the several I put in yesterday (6-9 days later). Just spoke to Amazon and complained bitterly! They apologised and asked me to be patient for its arrival

And stop worrying Pet, it's a done deal
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-13, 22:48.

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

No, but my Tchaikovsky box arrived this evening!
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Ruddy Ada!!! £26 now. Team Radio 3 forum did handsomely

Hats off to mb!!!!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

The boy done good.
                              It's like winning the pools,except I don't know what that's like.
                              Do people still do the pools ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                                Ruddy Ada!!! £26 now. Team Radio 3 forum did handsomely

Hats off to mb!!!!!
                                Yes indeed. Mind you it has been under £18 much earlier too, but nothing likes mathias' exclusive

Comment

Working...
                                X