X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Looking at Amazon there appears also to have been a recording of the Sixth in Bournemouth too .
    You're quite correct - I overlooked it in my searches - originally coupled with 11 plus the piano Concerti but unavailable for a long while now - No 7 is I think deleted also.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Barbirolli fans will already have the EMI Sibelius symphony cycle (which includes some generous fillers), but others may like to be aware that the grocer has this for £8.99.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thank you, hafod. Set duly ordered + preorder of Paul Kildea's new biography of Britten!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          Barbirolli fans will already have the EMI Sibelius symphony cycle (which includes some generous fillers), but others may like to be aware that the grocer has this for £8.99.
          https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E10052916
          £30 when I bought it three years ago.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• AmpH
            • Feb 2012

50% off EMI Icon boxes at Arkiv :-

As an example the forthcoming Silvestri box at £19 looks good.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Just noticed that MDT are offering the 6 hours+ DVD (audio only, and playable on DVD video players) version of Morton Feldman's SQ2 (Flux Quartet) for just £16.35 plus p&p:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/feldman-string-...-mode-dvd.html
              Can you download a couple of minutes of it for a schilling, and then just loop it endlessly?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                Can you download a couple of minutes of it for a schilling, and then just loop it endlessly?
                Of course. You could do that with the Eroica or the B minor Mass, too. With none of these proceedures would you get any of the works you were looping.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Of course. You could do that with the Eroica or the B minor Mass, too. With none of these proceedures would you get any of the works you were looping.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Eroica and looping reminds me of the Halle Loughran LP which had the finale and 1st movement on side 1 with a loop at the end of the finale to prevent the next track from playing.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Eroica and looping reminds me of the Halle Loughran LP which had the finale and 1st movement on side 1 with a loop at the end of the finale to prevent the next track from playing.
                      - I still have that very (ENIGMA) LP. Splendid performance - as is the whole set.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        - I still have that very (ENIGMA) LP. Splendid performance - as is the whole set.
                        I have the set - Car Boot £1! - But would be good to see it on CD - Who owns Loughran's Halle recordings nowadays - they came out on Enigma which went on to be part of ASV. There was an excellent Loughran Schubert 9 also.

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

Amazon have Sony's 18CD Debussy Collection for £20.42:

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I have the set - Car Boot £1! - But would be good to see it on CD - Who owns Loughran's Halle recordings nowadays - they came out on Enigma which went on to be part of ASV. There was an excellent Loughran Schubert 9 also.
                            I didn't know about his Beethoven, but I have his Brahms symphonies. Not played for quite some time, as on LPs, but I recall they were good. I once played JL at table tennis. He beat me! First time I picked up a table tennis bat for years was a few days ago. Totally hopeless now!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I didn't know about his Beethoven, but I have his Brahms symphonies. Not played for quite some time, as on LPs, but I recall they were good.
                              Still my absolute favourite reading of these works by any British Musicians, Dave. (Which is not to "rubbish" the excellent accounts conducted by Boult, Barbirolli or Rattle; merely to say that I think that these performances reveal even more about these glorious works than do they.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

The play.com closing-down sale has some pearls among the dross in the £2 - £3 bracket.

This link should take you to a list starting with the lowest prices:
                                http://www.play.com/Music/CD/6-/Sear...b&cpage=1&ob=4

Dinu Lipatti's last recital, latest Abbado/BPO Mahler 3, Rattle's Gerontius, the Everest record of VW's Job by LPO/"Sir Alan Boult" plus a load of Naxos for £2-odd...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X