Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

One box I forgot to add to my huge order at ArkivMusic was the box of music by Schutz (19 CDs). I'm really not sure that I want all of it - but could be persuaded.

I have a fairly urgent need to have Schutz's Christmas music. There's what seems like a good performance on Berlin Classics - really good sound - see http://open.spotify.com/album/1phmbxPvW5NynHoJg9VJhc

However the CD is rather expensive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&s=music (OK - the market place people are a bit cheaper ...) and I wonder how the version in the Brilliant box compares.

In the meantime, Selections has a Brilliant box of music by Smetana for about £12 - http://www.selections.com/smetana-edition-10cds.html
    That was found by serendipity - there might be others, but I've not looked seriously today. I've no idea whether the box has good performances or is a good buy, but it might be.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      One box I forgot to add to my huge order at ArkivMusic was the box of music by Schutz (19 CDs). I'm really not sure that I want all of it - but could be persuaded.

... I wonder how the version in the Brilliant box compares.
      Dave, if this is the Cappella Augustana/Matteo Messori set, then don't hesitate: these are the performances that got me hooked on this sublime Music. I've been collecting the set individually (Vols 1 - 4) as they came out and I'm spitting feathers that the remaining volumes are only currently available as part of this boxed set with the discs I own!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Dave, if this is the Cappella Augustana/Matteo Messori set, then don't hesitate: these are the performances that got me hooked on this sublime Music. I've been collecting the set individually (Vols 1 - 4) as they came out and I'm spitting feathers that the remaining volumes are only currently available as part of this boxed set with the discs I own!

ferney, the blasted record companies do it all the time

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I have a fairly urgent need to have Schutz's Christmas music. There's what seems like a good performance on Berlin Classics - really good sound - see http://open.spotify.com/album/1phmbxPvW5NynHoJg9VJhc

However the CD is rather expensive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&s=music (OK - the market place people are a bit cheaper ...) and I wonder how the version in the Brilliant box compares.

In the meantime, Selections has a Brilliant box of music by Smetana for about £12 - http://www.selections.com/smetana-edition-10cds.html
          That was found by serendipity - there might be others, but I've not looked seriously today. I've no idea whether the box has good performances or is a good buy, but it might be.
          I seem to recall that the big Schutz box got a pretty good recommendation a short while ago in International Record Review.

Like Vinteuil, I will certainly be investing in that box of piano quintet rarities...too tempting to pass over!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

]
            ferney - like you I have been collecting these one by one.

So I have vols 1- 4 : a total of 19 CDs.

The brilliant Complete Schutz box comprises 19 CDs...

So what are we missing ??

Comment

• robk
              • Nov 2010

My Richard Strauss Edition Box arrived this morning from ArkivMusic Europe for £18.99 plus £2.35 postage. 35 CD's and CD Rom well packed & in pristine condition.
              Last edited by robk; 30-11-12, 14:08.

Comment

• Kees

Originally posted by robk View Post
                My Richard Strauss Edition Box arrived this morning from ArkivMusic Europe for £18.99 plus £2.35 popstage. 35 CD's and CD Rom well packed & in pristine condition.
                Yesterday I received the shipping notification for my huge order. Can't wait !

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Klemperer is back on at £3.75 + p&p (used, like new)

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Klemperer is back on at £3.75 + p&p (used, like new)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used
                    I'm not always sure what "used, like new" means. I had one recently which looked to all intents and purposes new. It came complete with wrapping, though I suppose it might have been
                    wrapped again if the supplier had a suitable machine for that. Maybe these are shop returns?

Comment

• amateur51

I'm not always sure what "used, like new" means. I had one recently which looked to all intents and purposes new. It came complete with wrapping, though I suppose it might have been
                      wrapped again if the supplier had a suitable machine for that. Maybe these are shop returns?
                      I'm sure that if you are not totally satisfied, Amazon will ensure that you get a replacement or your money back. And at this price ... need I say more?

Just one thing ... has anyone actually received their Klemperer set from this seller and if so, any comments?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

I suspect some vendors of so describing their merchandise simply to get to the top of the "Used" list, rather than some way down the "New" one.

Mind you, some are just too honest for their own good. I recently got round to adding the Philips Colin Davis Berlioz Orchestral Works box to the Operas and Choral ones. I saw it described as "good", and given that is 2 steps down the condition ladder I hesitated. I contacted the seller who eventually got back to me to assure that the only defect was a minor scuff on the box. I ordered it and it arrived within a couple of days. I had the look very hard to find the defect. It was the sort of think one might easily find on a copy bought brand new.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Is there any effect on tax liability if new items are sold as used? I bought a car once as used. it had fewer than 10 miles on the clock. It looked and felt like a new one, but must have saved me at least £2k. Maybe there are accounting benefits to some suppliers.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                            • Nov 2010

Roger in Gramex was holding court on VAT for used CDs the other day. However I can't remember the details.....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ferney - like you I have been collecting these one by one.

So I have vols 1- 4 : a total of 19 CDs.

The brilliant Complete Schutz box comprises 19 CDs...

So what are we missing ??
                              First the good news: you're right; the 19CD boxed set is just a repackaging of the four separate CD sets.

The bad news: looking through my collection, I don't have Volume One (the complete Symphoniae Sacrae and the Christmas Story) after all; only a single CD selection from the SymphsSacr!

The Brilliant Classics online catalogue is no use, so I'll have to search around to see if I can get Vol1 from anywhere.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

First the good news: you're right; the 19CD boxed set is just a repackaging of the four separate CD sets.

The bad news: looking through my collection, I don't have Volume One (the complete Symphoniae Sacrae and the Christmas Story) after all; only a single CD selection from the SymphsSacr!

The Brilliant Classics online catalogue is no use, so I'll have to search around to see if I can get Vol1 from anywhere.
                                The number for Vol 1 is Brilliant Classics 92196. However I have been singularly unsuccessful in tracking down supplies. You may just have to buy the set all over again to get volume 1. Bummer, as they say. I did try ebay too.

Comment

Working...
                                X