Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

This might be a silly question, but never having purchased a download, I find myself wondering how one goes about downloading 22 CDs. Does one have to (as it were) download each one separately, and save them to different files? That would be rather tedious. Or do you just do one click and it all happens magically somehow? If the latter is the case, where do you find the 22 CDs you have downloaded?

Does it take a long time to download the whole thing?
    Last edited by David-G; 27-10-12, 23:22.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
      This might be a silly question, but never having purchased a download, I find myself wondering how one goes about downloading 22 CDs. Does one have to (as it were) download each one separately, and save them to different files? That would be rather tedious. Or do you just do one click and it all happens magically somehow? If the latter is the case, where do you find the 22 CDs you have downloaded?
      Its not a silly question. Get some specific technical advice on here if you can, give yourself plenty of time, and keep calm......
      good luck.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• robk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by GrahamH View Post
        There have been problems in the past but I managed to download the Haydn today without resorting to any subterfuge!
        I have just tried but got the following message:
        This article is not available in your country yet (UNITED KINGDOM)

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by robk View Post
          I just got the same.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            Probably depends on the site, but to my surprise the Amazon and iTunes offerings have been fairly easy. It helps to have a very fast broadband or other high performance connection. At work we sometimes get 70 Mbps or more, which makes downloading 20-30 CDs easier. I did have a problem with the Classics Online site, before I figured out how their downloader works, and checked the box in the accounts section to enable it. Before that it was a pain, anf I was downloading more or less single tracks, and finding where thay had gone was a problem.

If you find you have to do something tedious you're probably doing something wrong.

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Ditto
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• GrahamH

Sorry to have raised your hopes. I wonder whether my success was because I already subscribe to the Qobuz streaming service.

I have been a subscriber on and off for quite a while, and when they recently introduced a cheaper service and a dedicated classical service I was initially told I couldn't change over because I was not resident in France. I challenged this and they immediately opened the new service up to me (saving me 3 euros a month), so perhaps that was why I can now also buy these Argo downloads.

It's a bit of a faff but it might be worth signing up to the site then protesting if you still get the not available message. There seems to be a free 3 day trial of the streaming service at the moment, but I don't know whether you would have to give payment details to get this.

I appreciate this is a lot of work - and this offer has only four days to runs - but they do have these deals from time to time so you may feel it is worthwhile!

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Where have you been ?
                  Listening to his Mozart!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                    Listening to his Mozart!
                    His Bach, Vivaldi and Handel is pretty good too, but his Argo more modern stuff was also good - ASMF and ECO in the late sixties and seventies were mustard!

Comment

• Cheapskater

Sadly, no matter how much I fiddle (keyboard!) I can't get a D/L from Qobuz. It's a shame as their promo offers are attractive. I highly recommend - Elgar: Symphony No.1/Cockaigne (In London Town) - Concert Overture (Sir Charles Mackerras), FLAC @ 6.89 Euro for those that can. Interested to hear from anyone who tries it (I think perhaps equal/pipped by Dresden Staatskappelle).

Comment

• Stunsworth
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cheapskater View Post
                        Sadly, no matter how much I fiddle (keyboard!) I can't get a D/L from Qobuz. It's a shame as their promo offers are attractive. I highly recommend - Elgar: Symphony No.1/Cockaigne (In London Town) - Concert Overture (Sir Charles Mackerras), FLAC @ 6.89 Euro for those that can. Interested to hear from anyone who tries it (I think perhaps equal/pipped by Dresden Staatskappelle).
                        Try sending them an email explaining what you want to do. There's a form linked from the main web page. I did that yesterday asking for access to the streaming service, and I received a reply this morning informing me that my account had been updated. I'm now a happy streamer!

Edit - the account update Qobuz did also allows the purchase of albums. Previously when I tried to purchase anything I got an error message, now it allows albums to be added to my shopping cart. High definition downloads are a lot cheaper than Linn too.
                        Steve

Comment

• Cheapskater

Thank you Steve. Email sent and confirmation received, I will report back. Anybody going to try that Elgar? I'm listening now (have the CD/FLAC) and it's just wonderful.

Comment

• Cheapskater

Thanks to Steve & others encouragement here, I registered with Qobuz (no streaming subscription) and then emailed them regarding D/L from UK. Very quick and efficient response with the following result -

We have updated your account.
                            You can now buy on our site.
                            Qobuz thank you for your confidence and wish you good shopping.
                            Musically yours.
                            Cordially.
                            Michel Girard
                            Support et Service Clients

This seems to have been a sucessful conclusion!

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

For those with access to Qobuz, they are offering Peter Hurford's Bach (17 CDs worth) for under 7 Euros at CD quality, less for MP3s...

Listen to Peter Hurford in unlimited streaming on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from $10.83/month
                              Steve

Comment

• martin_opera

We've had two major Wagner releases from EMI and DG this past month in advance of the Wagner bicentenary in 2013. It is also Verdi's bicentenary yet I am not aware of any big box budget releases to celebrate this. Recent Verdi boxes have been released including Solti, the Abbado and the cheap Karajan (dubious about sound quality on this one). Has anyone seen anything else - more complete? What would be nice would be a big box of Muti recordings but at a more realistic price than this and a big box of the Philips Gardelli early Verdi operas.

Comment

Working...
                                X