X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Also, for those whose interest in Clementi's keyboard music has been kindled by the recent CotW, there is a disc of Susan Alexander-Max playing several of his sonatas, apparently on a copy of a Michael Rosenberger fortepiano. Reviews seem to have been generally complimentary.
    Susan Alexander-Max has now done three naxos CDs of Clementi sonatas. Most enjoyable!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Amazon are offering Nigel North's complete lute music of John Dowland on Naxos at 7.99 for the 4-disc set, a remarkable bargain. Not to be outdone, they're also offering Jakob Lindberg's older complete Dowland lute music on BIS at, er, £7.99. There are 86 tracks on the North and 92 on the Lindberg set; as any Dowland anorak knows there are problems over attribution, multiple versions etc.

The most obvious difference between the two sets apart from the finer points of pluckery, ornamentation and instruments used is that the North set is arranged thematically, whereas the Lindberg is arranged by source - so pieces from particular collections are grouped together, which is enormously helpful for pluckers. Lindberg gives the Diana Poulton catalogue number for every piece, which enables easy cross-referencing with Diana P's book on Dowland; North/Naxos only give them for works with generic titles ("Alman", the Fantasias/Fancyes) where there might be confusion as to which it is.

Both are superb players - I've heard Lindberg live a few times, but not North, who is based in the US these days and I keep missing him when he plays in London - he will be playing at Kings Place on 24 October, while I'm in Gotterdammerung
      Last edited by Guest; 22-09-12, 09:17.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Mine's on its way. Too late now for others. The amazon.co.uk price has now more than doubled to £13.99!

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Mine's on its way. Too late now for others. The amazon.co.uk price has now more than doubled to £13.99!
          If you can accept a rise in price of 74p then blah will sell it to you for £6.99 delivered.
          Shop for the latest and greatest games and accessories for Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch. A wide selection of Music CDs; TV and Movies (on DVD and Blu-rays). Check our prices be...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            If you can accept a rise in price of 74p then blah will sell it to you for £6.99 delivered.
            http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/Klarine...22/product.htm
            Well done, hafod - truly you are a prince/ess among bargain hunters

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Well done, hafod - truly you are a prince/ess among bargain hunters
              Thank you but I have to confess that the original Amazon very low price simply came up during my weekly trawl of the new issues which also revealed a slightly more expensive one at blah. I bookmarked the latter as plan B (old habits die hard ) in case the Amazon price was not honoured. When Bryn reported despatch of his copy from Amazon at the very low price it was a matter of seconds to post plan B in case anyone who wanted a low price copy had missed out.

Just found this at blah - Muti/Cherubini Masses 7cd for £7.99 (market seller) or £8.29 from blah itself. (Paid £12 for it when it first came out )

Shop for the latest and greatest games and accessories for Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch. A wide selection of Music CDs; TV and Movies (on DVD and Blu-rays). Check our prices be...
              Last edited by hafod; 23-09-12, 09:16. Reason: obvious

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I might try to pick up the Blah Clarinet Cds - I hesitated re Amazon - not really sure that I wanted yet more CDs to file away. In the meantime there's another box coming along - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-50-V...=pd_sim_m_h__1 - not sure what this will contain.

PS: Here is the listing http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4784614

I guess it's good value, though I have a lot of these already. I expect others may feel the same.
                Last edited by Dave2002; 23-09-12, 12:31.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

I thought Philips had been abolished!

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    I thought Philips had been abolished!
                    It has - hence this appears on the Decca label.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                      • Mar 2007

If you don't mind downloads, members may be interested to learn that Georg Solti's Decca opera recordings - Strauss and Verdi - are available from iTunes at just £7.99 each - that's £7.99 for six Strauss operas, the same for seven Verdi operas. It's surely a pricing error, so I doubt it'll be around for long...
                      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Amazon are offering Nigel North's complete lute music of John Dowland on Naxos at 7.99 for the 4-disc set, a remarkable bargain. Not to be outdone, they're also offering Jakob Lindberg's older complete Dowland lute music on BIS at, er, £7.99. There are 86 tracks on the North and 92 on the Lindberg set; as any Dowland anorak knows there are problems over attribution, multiple versions etc.
                        Looks like I "need" to get both then. The Lindberg set is not actually by BIS any more, but a reissue by Brilliant.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

These Dowland sets are bargains indeed - I got Paul O'Dette's survey on 5 Harmonia Mundi CDs some time ago - I would be interested to know how they compare to the North and Lindberg sets, not having heard the latter two.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            These Dowland sets are bargains indeed - I got Paul O'Dette's survey on 5 Harmonia Mundi CDs some time ago - I would be interested to know how they compare to the North and Lindberg sets, not having heard the latter two.
                            And I haven't heard the O'Dette, though I have other CDs of his, so can't offer a direct comparison.

The standard of lute playing has improved exponentially since the 1970's L'Oiseaux Lyre complete Dowland (Rooley et al - 11 discs) which features a young Lindberg and a young North as well as others - there are some quite ropey performances on there by today's standards. On that set the solo lute music is spread across several players. O'Dette's playing is always virtuosic - these 3 are in a class of their own, I'd say, along with Hopkinson Smith (who has not laid down a complete Dowland).

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

There is currently a new copy of the O'Dette set on Amazon at just over £800, Richard, I'm sure you'll snap it up!! I'm sure Harmonia Mundi will soon release it as a bargain box.

I have always been tempted to get the L'Oiseau Lyre set but feel disinclined having read your impressions. Am I right in thinking that within that set there was also a disc of keyboard transcriptions played by Colin Tilney?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                                There is currently a new copy of the O'Dette set on Amazon at just over £800, Richard, I'm sure you'll snap it up!! I'm sure Harmonia Mundi will soon release it as a bargain box

I have always been tempted to get the L'Oiseau Lyre set but feel disinclined having read your impressions. Am I right in thinking that within that set there was also a disc of keyboard transcriptions played by Colin Tilney?
                                Yes I think so - I'm at work and it's at home, but without checking yes...

Don't let some slightly below par lute playing put you off - it's a marvellous collection of all the songs, consort music etc - every note - now there's an idea, a complete Dowland day on R3 - fabulous renditions of the songs by Martyn Hill, Glenda Simpson, Emma K, Martyn Hill's "Now, o now" is one of my Desert Island Discs.

Comment

Working...
                                X