X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

You almost have me there.

What was Sinopoli good at, or particularly memorable for? I have some excerpts from Madame Butterfly conducted by him - very slow, but also very beautiful. Are these orchestral and concerto collections representative of his work? Maybe the Mahler sets would please some better ... or not! What about opera? Didn't he do some good ones?

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      You almost have me there.

What was Sinopoli good at, or particularly memorable for? I have some excerpts from Madame Butterfly conducted by him - very slow, but also very beautiful. Are these orchestral and concerto collections representative of his work? Maybe the Mahler sets would please some better ... or not! What about opera? Didn't he do some good ones?
      I have v little which is why I purchased. I do love his Dresden Bruckner 5 and I once heard him do some good R Strauss with them at the Proms

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Some downloads from Amazon

Richter's Teldec recordings 3hrs £4.49...

William Christie 30th anniversary album 7hrs £4.49...

Steve

Comment

• heliocentric

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I think Sinopoli was a wonderful conductor (and in fact a very interesting composer) who for some reason almost always had a bad press in the UK. I think this says more about the critics than it does about Sinopoli. His Mahler recordings are as far as I'm concerned among the best ever made, as is his recording of Salome. I haven't yet investigated his Bruckner symphonies. I wouldn't know about his CDs of Italian opera but I'm sure they'd be highly insightful for those who like that kind of thing.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
            I think Sinopoli was a wonderful conductor (and in fact a very interesting composer) who for some reason almost always had a bad press in the UK. I think this says more about the critics than it does about Sinopoli. His Mahler recordings are as far as I'm concerned among the best ever made, as is his recording of Salome. I haven't yet investigated his Bruckner symphonies. I wouldn't know about his CDs of Italian opera but I'm sure they'd be highly insightful for those who like that kind of thing.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
              I haven't yet investigated his Bruckner symphonies.
              The Dreden 5th is glorious. The string playing in the 2nd theme of the slow movement is gorgeous. Good sound too.

Comment

• Hitch
                • Nov 2010

The BC Bach: The Masterworks set is already proving to be fun. I've deleted the turgid Britten/ECO (Decca) rendering of the Brandenburg Concertos from my laptop and replaced it with the sprightly Consort of London under Robert Haydon Clark. What a difference!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I have a question relating to the Australian Eloquence label's CDs. Many of them carry the logo "SBS". I have seen a suggestion that this refers to some sort of audio processing, but my guess is that the suggestion is spurious and is getting mixed up with the AMSI processing found on European Eloquence releases. Anybody here able to throw some light on the issue? What does SBS stand for in this context?

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Perhaps not this, but does fit the Australian context - http://www.sbs.com.au/ Special Broadcasting Service.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Indeed Dave, that is the answer. Their logo is the confirmation. So it would appear that it is Special Broadcasting Service who we have to thank for the Australian Eloquence catalogue, rather than Universal itself.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Indeed Dave, that is the answer. Their logo is the confirmation. So it would appear that it is Special Broadcasting Service who we have to thank for the Australian Eloquence catalogue, rather than Universal itself.
                        So that's why they ship them acroos the world with the Shiraz, and not produce them at European Universal plant, whatever the series is excellent.

Comment

• Don Petter

There is this reference to sound processing on the MusicWeb site, which might tie in with your original enquiry:

'I note that Australian Eloquence recordings now receive the SBS formatting which troubled some audio enthusiasts – though not me – when it was applied to the European Eloquence CDs.'

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            There is this reference to sound processing on the MusicWeb site, which might tie in with your original enquiry:

'I note that Australian Eloquence recordings now receive the SBS formatting which troubled some audio enthusiasts – though not me – when it was applied to the European Eloquence CDs.'
                            That is indeed the spurious comment re. SBS is was referring to. I feel sure the author was getting "SMS" mixed up with "AMSI" processing used on the European Eloquence issues.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

That is indeed the spurious comment re. SBS is was referring to. I feel sure the author was getting "SMS" mixed up with "AMSI" processing used on the European Eloquence issues.
                              I think you're right. Australian Eloquence releases have invariably excellent SQ for their age and I suspect some use Japanese masters for release, eg the Ansermet series.

Which reminds me to recommend:

Beaux Arts Trio with Daniel Guilet, and the Melos with Lamar Crowson.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Have just taken a delivery from Amazon. An enormous box about 24 x 12 inches and rather heavy. Nearly refused to accept it as I had no idea what it could possibly be. Turned out to be the 100 CD Meister Konzerte box.
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X