X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Lots of Naxos CDs for £3.95 each, or £5.95 for doubles (including p&p), at zaavi.com today:

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, Bryn. I've just used some of my PayPal money to buy Franz Schmidt's first three symphonies as well as Brian's 20th and 25th.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Is this a good deal? - Richard Strauss

Not sure if this is a really good deal - http://www.selections.com/AL381/rich...edition-35cds/
        At that price I might ask for it for Christmas, though perhaps someone here will find it even cheaper!

Is there anything really good on that set anyway? I guess we have to look at Presto to find the CD listing.

At the end of it all though, I might prefer to have just a few pieces in very good versions, e.g the Solti Die Frau ohne Schatten, a good version of Rosenkavalier, plus a few other orchestral and other works.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Not sure if this is a really good deal - http://www.selections.com/AL381/rich...edition-35cds/
          I guess we have to look at Presto to find the CD listing.
          Why? Scroll down and it lists who does what on which disc.

At the end of it all though, I might prefer to have just a few pieces in very good versions, e.g the Solti Die Frau ohne Schatten, a good version of Rosenkavalier, plus a few other orchestral and other works.
          Well, there are some very good performances here: Kempe doing the Orchestral works, Karajan's first Rosenkavalier (often cited as many people's "favourite" recording of this work) Bohm, Keilberth and Sinopoli in the other operas, and even Archive recordings of the man himself accompanying his Lieder. I don't know the De Waart Four Last Songs and the Chamber Music doesn't do much for me. But at £1.38 per disc, this seems a remarkably inexpensive way of getting a good "complete" Strauss library in one go. (The Presto Classical price for the Solti Frau ohne Schatten alone is just £10 less than this box!)

I think it is a "really good deal" and I don't think you'll find it cheaper anywhere else (Presto offer it for about £60). Go On! Indulge!

Best Wishes.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Why? Scroll down and it lists who does what on which disc.

Well, there are some very good performances here: Kempe doing the Orchestral works, Karajan's first Rosenkavalier (often cited as many people's "favourite" recording of this work) Bohm, Keilberth and Sinopoli in the other operas, and even Archive recordings of the man himself accompanying his Lieder. I don't know the De Waart Four Last Songs and the Chamber Music doesn't do much for me. But at £1.38 per disc, this seems a remarkably inexpensive way of getting a good "complete" Strauss library in one go. (The Presto Classical price for the Solti Frau ohne Schatten alone is just £10 less than this box!)

I think it is a "really good deal" and I don't think you'll find it cheaper anywhere else (Presto offer it for about £60). Go On! Indulge!

Best Wishes.
            I ordered it from amazon.fr. The cost, including p&p, was a few pence less than the Selection price excluding p&p. The box arrived today. I have not had a chance to listen to any of the discs yet.

Hmm, I have just noticed that though the set was ordered from amazon.fr, it was sent by Royal Mail (1st Class) with the standard amazon.co.uk Bedfordshire return address.
            Last edited by Bryn; 17-12-11, 20:37.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

fhg

Ah - you were right about the details of the Strauss box being on that page. That wasn't the page I originally looked at, and it was only when I put it into the post that I realised that I'd seen it on the main page, which wasn't specific enough and wouldn't have identified that box. Sometimes the details of box sets are not put on various sites, and I didn't go back to check.

Sounds as though it's quite a good box, then, though it might still not float to the top of my list. I can't buy everything, and it's getting to the point that I really think I should stop. I've still got hundreds to listen to already! I might prefer the Bernstein symphony box if I'm going to be indulgent.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                The Presto Classical price for the Solti Frau ohne Schatten alone is just £10 less than this box!
                Could well be, but that was really my point. It might be better to have something which I think is outstanding, rather than a lot which is "merely" very good. However, it is definitely worth thinking about - and there are quite a number of Kempe's performances in the box, which do make it worthwhile.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Could well be, but that was really my point. It might be better to have something which I think is outstanding, rather than a lot which is "merely" very good. However, it is definitely worth thinking about - and there are quite a number of Kempe's performances in the box, which do make it worthwhile.
                  I already have the Kempe orchestral works which I got for a tenner through this thread a few months back and can now give to a friend. I am most tempted by the operas. I know the Rosenkavalier is pretty good and I have never been disappointed by anything of Josef Keilberth's: just look at the casting for slaves and unborn children in his Die Frau Ohne Schatten. I presume the libretti will be a problem with some operas.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                    I already have the Kempe orchestral works which I got for a tenner through this thread a few months back and can now give to a friend. I am most tempted by the operas. I know the Rosenkavalier is pretty good and I have never been disappointed by anything of Josef Keilberth's: just look at the casting for slaves and unborn children in his Die Frau Ohne Schatten. I presume the libretti will be a problem with some operas.
                    Indeed, the mail weakness of the boxed set is the lack of libretti. The CDROM only has rather skimpy synopses within general essays on the various works.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      Good to see another fan of Josef Keilberth. I particularly like his Flying Dutchman, which I have on Decca LPs. Is that available on CDs? Also the recording of Dvorak's cello concerto with Ludwig Hoelscher (from Telefunken?) was one of my favourites from a fairly young age.
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 19-12-11, 00:20.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Not sure about this one - http://www.selections.com/DVD5932/gu...gural-concert/ - Dudamel's inagural LAPO concert with Mahler 1.

Some of Dudamel's Mahler is really very good.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Lots of Naxos CDs for £3.95 each, or £5.95 for doubles (including p&p), at zaavi.com today:

http://www.zavvi.com/cd/offers/class...t?pageNumber=1
                          Yes, but where to start?

Think I'll start a Naxos favourites thread!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                            • Nov 2010

The coffee / record shop next to the Colisseum in London had (yesterday) a couple of copies of the Bernstein Symphony edition for £70.

Was VERY tempted but have purchased far too much lately.....

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                              The coffee / record shop next to the Colisseum in London had (yesterday) a couple of copies of the Bernstein Symphony edition for £70.

Was VERY tempted but have purchased far too much lately.....
                              The same barrier blocks the way for me, too.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Go on! A Christmas present for your respective selves - you won't regret it, promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X