Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ostuni
    • Nov 2010

Thanks, Barbirollians: I've just ordered the Brendel & Mackerras. I was looking at the classical special offers, listed by popularity (the default choice). The first 2 rows were, predictably, full of Rieu, Boe & Jenkins, but I was surprised (and delighted) to see the Birtwistle Night's Black Bird heading the 3rd row. £3.99, duly ordered, too.

Comment

• remdataram
      • Mar 2011

What a shame to see the progessive HMV slide into bankruptcy.

I've looked at their 'bargains' - as others have noted, most are available more cheaply elsewhere. Even worse, most have no track listing information.

I used to buy all my new CD's from HMV, now my purchases spread across Amazon, Presto and MDT in the main. Sad, so very sad.........

Comment

• Tapiola
        • Jan 2011

My local Head Records is currently selling Brilliant Opera Collection sets at (even more) knockdown price. The other day I acquired Gielen's recording of Schoenberg's Moses und Aron for £6.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Not sure that this can really count as a bargain at over £20, but it might be to Elliot Carter fans - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Str.../dp/B002YOJC7W

Found whilst browsing around the link below, for anyone who wonders/worries about the Dean Martin ref in msg 575.

Last edited by Dave2002; 11-11-11, 14:46.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Why would Elliott Carter fans be particularly interested in Dean Martin, Dave?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Don't know! Should have been this link- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Str.../dp/B002YOJC7W

I'll go back and check/edit msg 574

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Why would Elliott Carter fans be particularly interested in Dean Martin, Dave?
                Maybe they're looking a good tune...

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

It's not really much of a bargain, Dave. Even the £14.09 (including p&p) via the Amazon Marketplace is a couple of £ more than I paid as the three discs included were released (£3.99 each, including p&p). I hope the boxed set also includes the DVD that came with the third CD of the set. Oh, and I always thought there were two "t"s in Elliott, not just the one as on the box.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I thought it was "tt" too, but I "corrected" my text based on the box front shown!

I do think it's Elliott Carter.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I do think it's Elliott Carter.
                      ... itt is! Watch out for NAXOS specials on Tippet and Babbit!

Glorious performances here, but as Bryn points out, the individual CDs are available at lower prices.

Unless you wanted the "typo" box, which may become legendary and worth a bob-or-two in years to come!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        ... itt is! Watch out for NAXOS specials on Tippet and Babbit!

Glorious performances here, but as Bryn points out, the individual CDs are available at lower prices.

Unless you wanted the "typo" box, which may become legendary and worth a bob-or-two in years to come!
                        Not if the option of the box from the Amazon merchant is taken!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                          Not if the option of the box from the Amazon merchant is taken!
                          Even then if you shop with care. I paid total of £11.97 including p&p, but not all via amazon.co.uk

Comment

• Mahlerei

Anyone heard Wit's Glagolitic Mass/Sinfonietta (on CD and Blu-ray Audio)?

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

I haven't heard Wit's recording but recently I did hear Ancerl's recordings of both pieces and was blown away by their intensity.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                                I haven't heard Wit's recording but recently I did hear Ancerl's recordings of both pieces and was blown away by their intensity.
                                I agree, it's long been something of a benchmark in this work. What tempts me re Wit is that he's done some excellent recordings for Naxos, including that fab Mahler 8 (which I have on BD-A). This one could be a winner, so I'll give ti a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X