X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    There are also some LSO Live recordings - some which I probably don't have already. This Haydn set might be good value - https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...92-93-97-98-99
    I enjoyed it!

There are also Davis’s recordings of The Creation and The Seasons at the same price. I’ve been buying more SACDs so at that price it’s a no brainer.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Sibelius incidental music (6CDs) on Naxos for EUR 9,99 at JPC.
      They also have a number of Pentatone bargains (e.g. Janowski’s Parsifal and Gotterdammerung for 9,99).
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        They also have a number of Pentatone bargains (e.g. Janowski’s Parsifal and Gotterdammerung for 9,99).
        Luckily, I already have most of these works, but would urge anybody interested in investigating some of Sibelius's lesser-known works to snap up what is clearly a terrific bargain. I might even indulge myself!

Comment

• Kamisama
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post

Complete Beethoven quartets by Miro Quartet (Pentatone) also cheaply available from an eBay seller (currently: £14.75)
          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Miro Quartet Beethoven Complete String Qua CD B11501b at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
          Last edited by Kamisama; 30-09-20, 16:58. Reason: Label name added

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
            Complete Beethoven quartets by Miro Quartet (Pentatone) also cheaply available from an eBay seller (currently: £14.75)
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEETHOVEN...W/303579323639
            Not for me, I think: " . . . The Miró disconcertingly revert to a rather old-fashioned heavy vibrato approach to the E flat Quartet Op. 127, and have no more success than most in making entire sense of the strange opening movement of the A minor, Op. 132. . . " from https://miroquartet.com/news/beethov...ing-quartets-1

Comment

• Kamisama
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Not for me, I think: " . . . The Miró disconcertingly revert to a rather old-fashioned heavy vibrato approach to the E flat Quartet Op. 127, and have no more success than most in making entire sense of the strange opening movement of the A minor, Op. 132. . . " from https://miroquartet.com/news/beethov...ing-quartets-1
              Yeah, I decided against purchase myself, but it's worth considering. The same seller has other Pentatone sale items (e.g. Scriabin/Pletnev; Prokofiev/Jurowski; various Janowski recordings). Single discs cost £6.82 postage included.
              Last edited by Kamisama; 30-09-20, 18:33. Reason: Punctuation correction

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Music Magpie currently selling used classlcal CDs at £3 for 2 with free postage. (I've just ordered 6). There's some good stuff if you're prepared to keep scrolling.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Music Magpie currently selling used classlcal CDs at £3 for 2 with free postage. (I've just ordered 6). There's some good stuff if you're prepared to keep scrolling.
                  After much searching, I eventually found 2 items I thought to be worth purchasing. Unfortunately, when I tried to pay, via their Amazon link. The page crashed, taking my basket choices with it. Not the first problem I have had, trying to order from Music Magpie. I gave up.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

After much searching, I eventually found 2 items I thought to be worth purchasing. Unfortunately, when I tried to pay, via their Amazon link. The page crashed, taking my basket choices with it. Not the first problem I have had, trying to order from Music Magpie. I gave up.
                    I paid by debit card and had no problems, but I was rather puzzled to receive shortly thereafter an email telling me that I had items left in my basket (which I hadn't).

Comment

• Kamisama
                      • Mar 2015

Christa Ludwig - The Complete Recitals on Warner Classics [EMI] (11 CD)
                      Currently going cheap (less than a pound a disc) through Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

I would normally avoid Amazon downloads like the plague, however, having watched/lisgened to the Apartment House Julius Eastman concert from Wigmore Hall I thought I would investigate further and found that Eastman had recorded Peter Maxwell Davies's 8 Songs for a Mad King with the Pierrot Players. The CD is avaialbe but at something of a premium price. However, it turned out that the two items on that disc are available for 79p each as c. 256kbps VBR mp3s from amazon.co.uk. Since the reccordings are not available from QOBUZ, I got the Amazon mp3s. Pretty much bargain priced, I reckon.

Since 8 songs for a mad King was written for Roy Strong to perform (a recording of whom perfroming it I already have) I was surprised to find that the Pierrot players had recorded it with Julius Eastman. It's a very fine performance.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I would normally avoid Amazon downloads like the plague, however, having watched/lisgened to the Apartment House Julius Eastman concert from Wigmore Hall I thought I would investigate further and found that Eastman had recorded Peter Maxwell Davies's 8 Songs for a Mad King with the Pierrot Players. The CD is avaialbe but at something of a premium price. However, it turned out that the two items on that disc are available for 79p each as c. 256kbps VBR mp3s from amazon.co.uk. Since the reccordings are not available from QOBUZ, I got the Amazon mp3s. Pretty much bargain priced, I reckon.

Since 8 songs for a mad King was written for Roy Strong to perform (a recording of whom perfroming it I already have) I was surprised to find that the Pierrot players had recorded it with Julius Eastman. It's a very fine performance.

Also available for free download from the Avant Garde Project, including liner notes, although right now I can’t get the zip file to open on my ipad. So the AGP probably ought to take them down, if they are still curating their archive as they are clearly available commercially.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Also available for free download from the Avant Garde Project, including liner notes, although right now I can’t get the zip file to open on my ipad. So the AGP probably ought to take them down, if they are still curating their archive as they are clearly available commercially.

http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/AvantGard...p76/index.html
                            Indeed, a bit naughty, that. The booklet zip, which I did take advantage of, (Amazon not offering one), holds BMPs, rather than PDFs.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

A link to a very real bargain on the Brrthoven Symphonues thread. The complete symphonies, violin concert, piano concertos, and 3 overtures (Szeryng, Backhaus, WP, Schmidt-Isserstedt. All for £6.39: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...092#post813092

Dreadful 'cover' illustration, however.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

DOWNLOAD -TODAY ONLY - Complete Symphonies by Vagn Holmboe
                                I can't say I've listened to enough of his music to form an impression, let alone make a recommendation. I may get it at the low price and acting on Robert Van Bahr's enthusiasm for the composer. (I may also sample some of the pieces on Naxos Music Library this afternoon….. http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2 ).

Here is Van Bahr's blurb on the eclassical page:
                                "Your chance, for a comparatively small sum of money, to acquire the Complete Symphonies by Vagn Holmboe, after Nielsen Denmark's foremost composer. I remember my meetings with him, and his extreme gratitude for these recordings with the Aarhus SO under Owain Arwel Hughes - indeed the last one was finished just prior to Vagn's death. This is seriously good music, first time as a Daily Deal, and really worth having".

$26.60 (also - please note that eclassical asks if you would pay by card rather than Paypal as their charges capture a large part of the offer price).

Comment

Working...
                                X