Clear All
  • Curalach

Bertini's Mahler set now £16.99.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I give you permission, PJ x
      Thanks, Alison - next month, I think! Just listening to another bargain, the first CD from the Membran box "The British Symphonic Collection", one of a few I didn't have already on the ClassicO label. A pity there are no notes at all, but as pointed out it's quite easy to get details on the 'net. The Munich SO produce some lovely Elgarian sounds.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
        Thanks! I'm in!

Comment

• tom_960

Curzon in Mozart etc

Thinking to myself just now, I really ought to buy Curzon's recording of K595 with Britten, I came across this: http://www.selections.com/AH274/clif...rchtext=Curzon Anyone know these recordings? Is this a bargain?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            Thanks! I'm in!
            I jumped in too early!

Also not quick enough with those £5 Sony sets pointed out recently. A bit of a mine field really - knowing when to buy when to hold back!

One comment about the Bertini set, which may well apply to other Mahler sets - the CDs are numbered, but the numbers do not correspond to the symphonies,
            and some symphonies are spread out over more than one disc. While this may be inevitable for really long works, I'd have thought most could be fitted onto one disc.
            Some ripping to CD-Rs or DVD-Rs may be required for anyone who's bothered by this.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by tom_960 View Post
              Thinking to myself just now, I really ought to buy Curzon's recording of K595 with Britten, I came across this: http://www.selections.com/AH274/clif...rchtext=Curzon Anyone know these recordings? Is this a bargain?
              I don't actually know whether this is a bargain, but it's not that expensive. I've had some others in that series. I doubt whether the Brahms D minor concerto will compare with the Szell-Curzon version, but it might be interesting to find out. I might just add it to my next order unless someone reports it as a "dog".

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                Thanks! I'm in!
                Me too! It isn't going to get any lower surely?
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                  • Mar 2007

I netted the Bruckner/ Wand RCA box for £5. Will be interesting (when I get the time) to compare his interpretations to Tintner, both recorded v late in their careers.

I also did a smash and grab on Play the other evening - Luisi's Strauss for just £2.49?! Joyce DiDonato's Ariodante for less than a tenner; Golijov's St Mark's Passion, a work I'm intrigued to hear - at £5, it's a price I'm prepared to pay even if it turns out to be disappointing.
                  Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Mahlerei

IGI

I hope you aren't disappointed by the Golijov, I think it's an incredibly moving piece. The DVD included in the set is also excellent. Do report back on it, won't you?

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the heads up on the Membran box "The British Symphonic Collection", PJ.

The Arnold disc was my sole foray into that series whose individual issues always seemed available at the higher end of full price.

This looks a really interesting bargain. We dont hear much of Dougie Bostock now.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Looks like I got in just in time with my order for the Decca Brendel Beethoven box from play.com. It's now gone up from £27.99 including p&p to £37.99. I do hope it lives up to expectations.

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Just going through the new releases on Amazon and came across JS Bach Complete Cantatas conducted by Helmuth Rilling on Hanssler - 73 CDs for £69.99! To be released on 30 August.

Is this another pricing error like that of the Real Chopin on the Fryderyk Chopin Society label some months ago which many of us got for a knock down price or is it correct? I ask because CD Universe is advertising it for $91 and it is 85 euros at Amazon.de. Whatever the answer it is a steal.

Also, take a look at the new Imp Classics - short measure in a number of cases as they reflect the original LPs (nostalgia trip here seeing the covers again after so many years) - but at £2.21 there is little cause for complaint (except perhaps the inevitable duplication given that many have been reissued on countless occasions before).

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                            Just going through the new releases on Amazon and came across JS Bach Complete Cantatas conducted by Helmuth Rilling on Hanssler - 73 CDs for £69.99! To be released on 30 August.
                            I, and a few others here, got those a couple of years or so back, along with the rest of Bach's works in a 171 disc set, (licensed by Hänssler to B.M.S), for £99. I seem to recall that the licence was only for sales within the Czech and Slovak republics, and Hänssler eventually put a stop to their sale in the U.K at that price.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Bryn

Assuming that we are not going to be lucky enough to have another opportunity to buy the full 170+ CD set at a low price in the near future [is it still available?], is Rilling's Cantata set worth having, and is the price - around £70 - a good deal? One might argue that CDs at around £1 each are always a good deal, but that would only apply if they were mostly good. I have the Brilliant box set, and not all of the CDs are great [though some are ...]. I suspect that Rilling's cantatas may be better than the ones in the Brilliant box, but are they as good as some of the JEG ones for example? I also have some played/sung by others e.g Masaaki Suzuki, so does it make sense to buy another complete set such as Rilling's?

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                                I also did a smash and grab on Play the other evening - Luisi's Strauss for just £2.49?! Joyce DiDonato's Ariodante for less than a tenner; Golijov's St Mark's Passion, a work I'm intrigued to hear - at £5, it's a price I'm prepared to pay even if it turns out to be disappointing.
                                Was that Golijov a CD or a download? The download seems to be £5.99 right now, and the CD over £16. Maybe the prices fluctuate a lot on play.com. I only use that site occasionally, for example to find difficult to track down pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X