X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Just tacking back to the Szeryng box for a moment - which I'm about halfway through. I really don't think there are any duds in this box and there are some new discoveries, at least for me. The recital discs contain lots of unfamiliar stuff and that Khatchaturian Violin Concerto is outstanding.

The most 'modern' Szeryng got would seem to be the Berg V.C. (which I've not listened to yet) but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of concerto literature for the violin most WW-1.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      Just tacking back to the Szeryng box for a moment - which I'm about halfway through. I really don't think there are any duds in this box and there are some new discoveries, at least for me. The recital discs contain lots of unfamiliar stuff and that Khatchaturian Violin Concerto is outstanding.

The most 'modern' Szeryng got would seem to be the Berg V.C. (which I've not listened to yet) but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of concerto literature for the violin most WW-1.
      Don't forget he also recorded for Philips. His Bartok with Haitink in not to be overlooked.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I'd say that everything by this group should be snapped up without delay at such a great price.
        Thanks to all for the alert on Cafe Zimmerman - duly snapped
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

My Szeryng box is still " Expected by tomorrow ( 8th) " although hasn't yet been despatched........from America........

Still , I have plenty of unlistened to discs to while away the time...................
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            My Szeryng box is still " Expected by tomorrow ( 8th) " although hasn't yet been despatched........from America........

Still , I have plenty of unlistened to discs to while away the time...................
            When it doesn’t arrive tomorrow I assume you will make searching enquiries!

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

I cannot recommend a new compilation of Ida Haendel from 'Intense Media' highly enough. 10 discs for around £16.00. Well transferred in good sound. Alas, no documentation but there's plenty of information about Ms. Haendel on the internet.
              Last edited by pastoralguy; 07-03-19, 18:51.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                I cannot recommend a new compilation of Ida Haendel from 'Intense Media'. 10 discs for around £16.00. Well transferred in good sound. Alas, no documentation but there's plenty of information about Ms. Haendel on the internet.
                ... you cannot recommend?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... you cannot recommend?

Oh dear, vinteuil. Many thanks for pointing that out. Of course, what I meant was I cannot recommend highly enough!

Comment

• Rolmill
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    I cannot recommend a new compilation of Ida Haendel from 'Intense Media' highly enough. 10 discs for around £16.00. Well transferred in good sound. Alas, no documentation but there's plenty of information about Ms. Haendel on the internet.
                    Not sure if you mean this one pg? No mention of 'Intense Media' but the price is right...and I can't see any other 10 CD Haendel collection.

I'm tempted, but this series has been discussed on another thread, with some adverse views of (some of) the transfers expressed. If this is the one you mean, I'll go for it.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                      Not sure if you mean this one pg? No mention of 'Intense Media' but the price is right...and I can't see any other 10 CD Haendel collection.

I'm tempted, but this series has been discussed on another thread, with some adverse views of (some of) the transfers expressed. If this is the one you mean, I'll go for it.
                      That's the one, Rolmill. I've listened to three of the discs now and the sound is fine. Well worth the modest expense.

Comment

• Rolmill
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks pg - duly ordered

Comment

• Seneca
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          The Box is £32.81 from Presto, which has a listing of the pieces. I don’t know how delivery costs would affect the final price. Presto also have some of the smaller boxes at what look like reasonable prices - an offer until April.

At the end of this, are the additional pieces on the 16 CD box worthwhile?

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...afe-zimmermann
                          Thanks for this. I have ordered the set from Presto. Second class postage is free.

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

Barber’s Complete Orchestral Works, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under Marin Alsop, Naxos, 6 cds £13.99. Amazon. Anyone know the set? Have ordered

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                              Barber’s Complete Orchestral Works, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under Marin Alsop, Naxos, 6 cds £13.99. Amazon. Anyone know the set? Have ordered
                              I have them al as individual discs - you can’t go wrong at that price.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                I have them al as individual discs - you can’t go wrong at that price.

I concur: occasional lack of sparkle (School for Scandal in particular, I feel) but overall a very recommendable set.

Comment

Working...
                                X