Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

For Claudio Arrau fans: http://www.mdt.co.uk/arrau-claudio-s...nts-10cds.html

And Clara Haskil: http://www.mdt.co.uk/haskil-clara-pl...nts-10cds.html
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

I have found this to be a consistently enjoyable survey of Borodin's Chamber Music , for not much money

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by murieston View Post
        Thanks to Hafod for the nod about ordering from FNAC in France ... I later ordered the 50 disc set of EMI opera highlights http://musique.fnac.com/a2032902/Les...Opera-CD-album for 12.90 euros plus postage.
        Ordered Monday, arrived this morning!
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I don't know if any other bargain-seekers are also Amazon merchants and if so have come up against barcode problems. I tried to add a couple of CDs, which I would have presumed were perfectly legit candidates only to find the barcode not recognised. Anyone else had this problem and have you found a solutuion?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            Ordered Monday, arrived this morning!
            How much is that in UK money, including postage to the UK? Looks like it might be less than 30p/CD! Are they mostly highlights?

I guess it does look rather tempting, even so. I think another check in at CDs Anonymous is needed.

PS: Looks like it's about (!!) £16.66, so 33p per CD. They might even throw in a free offer of a calendar if you can be bothered to upload photos etc.

PPS: The "free" calendar is pleasant enough, but you have to go about making it, then ordering it, and finally you'll discover the price of postage is substantial.
            Not a bad deal if you want one, but not so good as a quick impulse buy. Try it if you enjoy tinkering with software, but be prepared to back off before hitting the
            accept button. Otherwise save your time and money!
            Last edited by Dave2002; 19-07-12, 17:05.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Would this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Die-Walkure-...2697689&sr=1-1 for £5 be considered a bargain? I'm not sure how big a pinch of salt one should take with the prices given.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Would this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Die-Walkure-...2697689&sr=1-1 for £5 be considered a bargain? I'm not sure how big a pinch of salt one should take with the prices given.

Mandatory listening (don't you have it, already?), and Keith Hardiwck's remastering is excellent - but you can pick it up for virtually nothing on other labels, or as a one euro download on classic music mobile.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                  Mandatory listening (don't you have it, already?), and Keith Hardiwck's remastering is excellent - but you can pick it up for virtually nothing on other labels, or as a one euro download on classic music mobile.
                  You MUST get this!!!!! I'll never forget the first time I heard it (French LP pressing). I'd heard some of Walter's late Brahms and Mahler but nothing prepared me for the intensity of this!

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Berlioz Requiem - Munch, Boston SO, Simoneau - (SACD/CD Hybrid) - RCA Living Stereo - £4.39 delivered (£4.89 on Amazon until they notice):

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                      You MUST get this!!!!! I'll never forget the first time I heard it (French LP pressing). I'd heard some of Walter's late Brahms and Mahler but nothing prepared me for the intensity of this!
                      It's now on it's way to me. I saw it in an OXFAM shop when I was staying with a friend earlier in the week, & dithered, but decided not to. My friend has got it for me & has put it in the post.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

It's now on it's way to me. I saw it in an OXFAM shop when I was staying with a friend earlier in the week, & dithered, but decided not to. My friend has got it for me & has put it in the post.
                        Flosshilde: if you don't like it you should be able to turn a nice profit by reselling, judging by the quoted Amazon Marketplace prices!
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

That's what I thought when I checked it out later.

The same shop also had this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Ring-...818744&sr=1-12 - for about £8 - £9. Perhaps I should have got that as well

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

That's what I thought when I checked it out later.

The same shop also had this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Ring-...818744&sr=1-12 - for about £8 - £9. Perhaps I should have got that as well
                            That's not quite such a bargain (though it does claim to have librettos). A good few of us got that set from Superdrug a few years ago when they were selling them off, with only synopses, for a fiver a set. Not the greatest performances of the Ring operas ever recorded, but quite serviceable.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

No, not such a bargain, & I'm not such a Ring completist as to want to buy any recording I see, especially one where I hadn't heard of any of the performers. The 2 CD, 1 DVD & 1 vinyl performances I have are quite enough - I rarely manage to listen to any of them right through!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                                you can pick it up for virtually nothing on other labels, or as a one euro download on classic music mobile.
                                eg here (Act One only) http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Membran/221059
                                or on this cheapo box I got last year - lousy documentation but a great selection:

Comment

Working...
                                X