Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

I think MDT will take them back and exchange for the SACDs (plus cash) - they have an offer on Audite expiring on Tuesday as you probably know.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

With a price difference of £21.15, plus postage both ways, I think I will leave things as they are and make do with Red Book. Thanks for the info, however.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Has anyone else seen this on Amazon ?

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Has anyone else seen this on Amazon ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Will...ll_full#disc_1
          Got in it HMV a few years ago for even less.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

You did well . I've paid more over the years for these.You win some you lose some !

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I decided go go for this ASMF 20th Cent box. An interesting selection with some classic recordings and some out-of-the-way stuff as well, with surprisingly little duplication with what I already have. Best price at MDT.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Damn you gurnemanz. You've just cost me nearly £60 for that ASMF box and the Gergiev Rimsky operas set.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I decided go go for this ASMF 20th Cent box. An interesting selection with some classic recordings and some out-of-the-way stuff as well, with surprisingly little duplication with what I already have. Best price at MDT.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//4782759.htm
                  A rather idiosyncratic take on 20th-century repertoire here surely - Bizet, Wagner, Baermann, Grieg (Holberg Suite)???
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I find a box set of Neville Marriner's recordings very easy to resist !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I find a box set of Neville Marriner's recordings very easy to resist !!!
                      Nev's recordings of Verklärte Nacht and Apollon musagète provided my first encounter with each score and so I hold them very dear

I think I'll order this set and then see if there are any CD shelving bargains in the Argos sale

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

The Naxos Sibelius Cycle with the New Zealand SO under Pietari Inkinen goes from strength to strength. Not content with a superb symphony cycle (up there with Davis, Vanska and Ashkenazy) they have come up with a clear and thrilling disc (Naxos 8.570068) of both suites of Scenes Historiques I (Op 25) and II (Op 66) as well as the King Christian II Suite (Op 27) which rivals that of my favourite (Sir Alex Gibson and the SNO which was my personal introduction to Sibelius!!).

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          A rather idiosyncratic take on 20th-century repertoire here surely - Bizet, Wagner, Baermann, Grieg (Holberg Suite)???
                          and they retained the original couplings without any exception, making it all CDs with a maximum of around 60 minutes of music.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            and they retained the original couplings without any exception, making it all CDs with a maximum of around 60 minutes of music.
                            Re my purchase of ASMF/Marriner 50th Anniversary box. I agree that it represents a "rather idiosyncratic take on 20th-century repertoire". It caught my eye because I actually hardly had anything by them in my collection, having like Barbiollians resisted them over the decades. About the only thing I already had was a very good twofer of Mozart PCs with Brendel.

Regardless of what the selection was called it contained quite a few items that plugged gaps. Surprisingly, I had no Siegfried Idyll or Holberg Suite. The Britten, Walton, Webern, Hindemith, Bizet Symphony, Nielsen and others were also new to my shelves.

Before parting with my £30 I quickly checked reviews of the original LPs on the Gramophone archive and they were nearly all very favourable. At £3 a go it is not a bad price even for CDs of LP length and it is quite nice to have the original Argo sleeve pictures.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Regardless of what the selection was called it contained quite a few items that plugged gaps. Surprisingly, I had no Siegfried Idyll or Holberg Suite. The Britten, Walton, Webern, Hindemith, Bizet Symphony, Nielsen and others were also new to my shelves.

Before parting with my £30 I quickly checked reviews of the original LPs on the Gramophone archive and they were nearly all very favourable. At £3 a go it is not a bad price even for CDs of LP length and it is quite nice to have the original Argo sleeve pictures.
                              I've got nearly all of the original Argo-LPs in my collection, and for me the Walton string orchestra version of his quartet and the Prokofiev visions fugitives were real eye openers. ASMIF's Verklärte Nacht arrived in my collection at approximately the same time as Karajan's sumptuous reading, both however for the "wrong" reasons : I was then more interested in the variations (Karajan) and the Hindemith pieces (ASMIF).
                              The Bizet symphony is a joy to listen to, but after all those years for me it is one piece which still stands out (and isn't available otherwise) for its humour: Creston's A Rumor

Enjoy Gurnemanz

Comment

• Mandryka

Just picked up this version of Lady Macbeth Of Mtsensk for only £3.97 - no libretto, but 'fans' will already have the Rostropovich recording, I expect.

Comment

Working...
                                X