X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I fear not, PJPJ. As far as I am aware Audacity, Goldwave, etc. resolve to PCM before combining. That's where the 2GB file size limit of 32 bit operating systems such a XP or Linux gets in the way. Mp3DirectCut works directly with the mp3s or mp2s without decoding. If you can manage to join two 1.2GB FLACs using either program, do please let me know.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Oops! I didn't read the files were so big. I find Audacity struggles with the bigger file, 500MB or so.

BTW, I'm a great fan of mp3DirectCut. A really useful program.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Today's download bargain (like theclassicalshop.net, there's a half-price offering every day)

I was young when I bought that on CD.......

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

PS The Classical Shop seems to have a new 50% special every hour on the hour!

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
            Oops! I didn't read the files were so big. I find Audacity struggles with the bigger file, 500MB or so.

I am now experimenting with the latest 64 bit Windows 7 compatible beta of Audacity. It appears to be working with files larger then 2GB, but also appears to be introducing glitches not created when opening the same component files in Sound Forge (32 bit). Hopefully this will be resolved by the time the beta phase is completed. I am also gong to try the latest version of Goldwave, for which I will have to communicate with Goldwave re. transferring my licence to the the Windows 7 64 bit machine and uninstalling it from this one, where it was very, very rarely used anyway.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

Many thanks, PJPJ. Your input acted as quite a fillip. I have now installed the latest version of Goldwave on my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, transferred the registration, uninstalled from this XP laptop, edited the Feldman SQ2 into a single 3.61GB .wav file and used Goldwave to save it as a 1.21GB .flac for playback on my cheap and cheerful Arnova 7" G2 Gingerbread tablet. Phew! Just the thing for long coach journeys.

Comment

• johnb
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I fear not, PJPJ. As far as I am aware Audacity, Goldwave, etc. resolve to PCM before combining. That's where the 2GB file size limit of 32 bit operating systems such a XP or Linux gets in the way. Mp3DirectCut works directly with the mp3s or mp2s without decoding. If you can manage to join two 1.2GB FLACs using either program, do please let me know.
                Sorry to be picky but I thought that the 2GB file size limit is a function of the file system rather than the operating system, whether 32 or 64 bit. As far as I am aware it is only the FAT16 file system that has a 2GB limit whereas the default Windows file system for HDDs is NTSF which has a 16TB filesize limit. (The FAT32 filesystem as a limit of 4GB, and Linux Ext3/4 have 2/16TB limits respectively).

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Sorry to be picky but I thought this thread was about Bargains! I'm sure this info is useful but maybe on a separate thread?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
                    You're not. Senior moments on my part, born of living with FAT 16 for so long (Windows 95, 98SE, Zoom handy recorders (still) ... ).

[Hmm, actually I now see that the FAT32 file size limit ia not 4GB, but just 1 or 2 bytes short of 4GB. ]
                    Last edited by Bryn; 01-02-12, 19:26.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Sorry to be picky but I thought this thread was about Bargains! I'm sure this info is useful but maybe on a separate thread?
                      It is, and in this case the bargains are the audio DVD of Feldman's SQ2 and the freeware Audacity and low cost Goldwave DAWs. Oh, and the Arnova 7 G2, come to that.

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

It is, and in this case the bargains are the audio DVD of Feldman's SQ2 and the freeware Audacity and low cost Goldwave DAWs. Oh, and the Arnova 7 G2, come to that.
                        In some cases those bargain mp3s need mp3DirectCut to trim and join files together so that continuous music remains so.

mp3DirectCut is quite a bargain - it's free.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

There was mention a while back of CFM's Tchaikovsky cover disc; the BBCMM's cover disk this month is Debussy's 'Martyrdom of St Sebastien'. Not the original 5 hour version, unfortunately , but the first recording (it says) of the definitive score published in 2009 ( BBC National Orchestra of Wales with soprano Elizabeth Atherton, mezzo-sopranos Tove Dahlbery and Jennifer Johnston, and narrated by Irène Jacob.)

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Oh I see, no I don't really but never mind!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Oops, hadn't seen the thread on the Martyrdom when I posted the above.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                Oops, hadn't seen the thread on the Martyrdom when I posted the above.
                                Such a typical Floozie

Comment

Working...
                                X