Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mario
    • Aug 2020

Sorry, are we talking about the same thing here?

I’m referring to www.classicselectworld.com.

Unsurprisingly, CSW are hugely understaffed due to the virus. I’ve just downloaded the Big Schubert Box, “13+ hours of music”, having had to wait all of two hours after purchase (I say purchase, but it’s actually a free download), and received a link for a file size of 1.4 GB. It took less than half a minute to download (several hours???), and I cannot believe that we can here compete with the faster internet speeds you must enjoy over there.

Where I do agree, is that numbering of the tracks is slightly illogical, but creating folders and then copying and pasting is simple enough, even for me.

However, serendipitously, while writing this reply, CSW emailed saying that, inter alia, they are hugely understaffed (they are recruiting…), and also because they are only staffed during business hours, then between 11 pm and 7 am Eastern US time there’s no one to press the button to release the download, something which they are bound to do under e-commerce law, i.e., not to charge for the product until it actually leaves the store. To my simple mind, if therefore I seek the download on their site at 11.05 pm their time, I will have to wait until the next morning to receive the download. They apologised for keeping me waiting for my download for around two hours!

Does this explain the delay?

I don’t know if I’m being particularly naïve here, but in an age where we have to pay for everything, it seems to me that offering 13 hours plus of free music, is a wonderful way to learn some new great works. Their listings of the works leaves a little to be desired true, but I really don’t wish to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Mario

Comment

• Mario
      • Aug 2020

Should anyone be interested, the works on the Schubert box referred to above are

German dances D 783
      Impromptus D 899
      Impromptus D 935
      Incidental Music for Rosamunde Fürsten von Cypern
      Lieder
      P Qn in A Maj “Trout”
      PS No 13
      PS No 15
      PS No 16
      PS No 19
      PS No 20
      PS in Bb Maj
      Quartettsatz
      Rondo Brilliante
      Sonatina No 1
      Sonatina No 2
      Sonatina No 3
      SQ No 14
      S Qn in C Maj
      S Gastein
      S No 5
      S No 6
      S No 7
      S No 8
      S No 9
      V Sonata in A Maj
      Wanderer Fantasy

I can provide the performers’ details if necessary, although they can be found here

Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major, D. 485Australian Chamber Orchestra; Sir Charles Mackerras, conductor1. I. Allegro2. II. Andante con moto3. III. Menuetto and Trio4. IV. Allegro vivacePiano Quintet in A Major, D. 667 (The Trout)Denis Matthews, piano; Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet5. I. Allegro vivace6. II. Andante7. III. Sch

I hope the link works. I was also a little too excited earlier, as this download is NOT free, since CSW charge US$ 0.99 for it!

Mario

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
        Sorry, are we talking about the same thing here?

I’m referring to www.classicselectworld.com.

Unsurprisingly, CSW are hugely understaffed due to the virus. I’ve just downloaded the Big Schubert Box, “13+ hours of music”, having had to wait all of two hours after purchase (I say purchase, but it’s actually a free download), and received a link for a file size of 1.4 GB. It took less than half a minute to download (several hours???), and I cannot believe that we can here compete with the faster internet speeds you must enjoy over there.

Where I do agree, is that numbering of the tracks is slightly illogical, but creating folders and then copying and pasting is simple enough, even for me.

However, serendipitously, while writing this reply, CSW emailed saying that, inter alia, they are hugely understaffed (they are recruiting…), and also because they are only staffed during business hours, then between 11 pm and 7 am Eastern US time there’s no one to press the button to release the download, something which they are bound to do under e-commerce law, i.e., not to charge for the product until it actually leaves the store. To my simple mind, if therefore I seek the download on their site at 11.05 pm their time, I will have to wait until the next morning to receive the download. They apologised for keeping me waiting for my download for around two hours!

Does this explain the delay?

I don’t know if I’m being particularly naïve here, but in an age where we have to pay for everything, it seems to me that offering 13 hours plus of free music, is a wonderful way to learn some new great works. Their listings of the works leaves a little to be desired true, but I really don’t wish to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Mario
        I did eventually got the same Pro-forma email. It might have been better for them to have posted an upfront warning of the temporary problems on the main site. It does not take much to put some off the very idea of downloads (no names, no pack drill). Actual download rates from the site today have been between 500kB/s and 1 MB/s. I have usually had to restart failed downloads at least once (twice, so far, in the case of the Bigger Beethoven Box zip. They do, at least, restart easily.
        enough. Oh, and the mp3 data rate appears to be 224kbps VBR. About the same as bog-standard Amazon. In the Stravinsky box, the recording of The Soldier's Tale is the English version, not the French one recorded at the same sessions. Worth going for. Just bear in mind the road may be a bit bumpy and the goods a bit jumbled up. The Tchaikovsky 8 Symphonies Box is particularly haphazard. Strange when one sees the considerable care taken with the metadata.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Latest Naxos freebie: Karel Ančerl conducts a classic 1967 recording of Josef Suk's Asrael and Isa Krejči's less well-known Serenata.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

I have downloaded a zip of this which stubbornly seems not to want to open in Windows media!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              I have downloaded a zip of this which stubbornly seems not to want to open in Windows media!
              I had problems with it, too, but eventually found that 7-Zip did the job. Other dedicated 'unzipper' programs might also work.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I had problems with it, too, but eventually found that 7-Zip did the job. Other dedicated 'unzipper' programs might also work.
                Thanks Bryn - I’ll maybe try it later. I do find Zip’s a pain - I think Naxos probably thought ‘We’ll give ‘em a freebie but they’ll have to work for it!
                Last edited by cloughie; 19-10-21, 17:24.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, I had to use 7-Zip too. I downloaded it twice thinking that the first download had failed!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

The Naxos freebie seemed to go very quiet in tabs in Firefox/MacOS - but then when I looked in the Download area it had come down very quickly. Even seems to play more or less straight off.

Now to check on the CSW download.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Downloaded using Safari (which seems now not even to need to be "unzipped"), transferred to the Aurender and playing straight off. As a freebie - and in FLAC format - a great addition to the versions of 'Asrael' from Talich to Hrusa.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

The Glyndebourne shop currently has opera recordings of some of its live productions from previous years reduced from £20 to £5. I suppose that some may exhibit a mixture of the good and also not so good things about live recordings of opera. There are some unusual things, such as Prokofiev’s Betrothal in a Monastery conducted by Jurowski - which seems to have a cover showing fish heads.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                          • Jan 2019

Ridiculous download bargain

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven: Complete Sonatas for Piano and Violin by Ludwig van Beethoven in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
                          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                            To say that is tempting would be something of an understatement. However, I will check out reviews, first.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

To say that is tempting would be something of an understatement. However, I will check out reviews, first.
                              Hmm. Having checked some. I found nothing particularly enthusiastic, so will give it a miss. It's only CD rate and the discs they are 'taken from' are actually hybrid SACDs.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Hmm. Having checked some. I found nothing particularly enthusiastic, so will give it a miss. It's only CD rate and the discs they are 'taken from' are actually hybrid SACDs.
                                Some of the reviews seem positive - and it seems that the downloads are only £3.99. The CDs/SACDs are normally around £30. I'm not sure that I'll bother either, but anyone who does not already have a set of these might find them of interest. Could also be a toe in the water for anyone who hasn't tried downloads yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X