X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Oh, I don't know. £3.50 plus p&p isn't that bad, surely?
    The used copies seem more reasonable!

Currently listening to the Hoffmeister B flat clarinet concerto from the Lost Baroque Bundle mentioned in the mp3 freebies in post 8352.
    Pleasant background music - definitely worth having by anyone who is not completely averse to mp3s. I don't think you even have to put in a credit card number to get the free copy. I don't know who wrote the Notturno which is track 11 in that collection - is there an easy way to find out?

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      My page at the river people shows that visitors to that page also viewed the "Collectors Edition" of Nos 1-13 (Complete?) at a more reasonable price (at the moment) of £25.83.

Looking for books on Abebooks, it seemed (not done it recently...) there is always someone, often in the mid states of the US, listing a copy at a wildly inflated price.....
      I think you can get the Myiaskovsky string quartet set from WHSmith for £20.99 - https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/n...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Are they worth having?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I don't know who wrote the Notturno which is track 11 in that collection - is there an easy way to find out?
        I think it's this one - https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Ferdin...lease/16511367 by a composer I've never heard of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia

The Notturno is actually quite long - over 21 minutes.-

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

I think you can get the Myiaskovsky string quartet set from WHSmith for £20.99 - https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/n...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Are they worth having?
          Yes!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Are they worth having?
            Last year I downloaded the Myaskovsky complete symphonies with Svetlanov for £7.99. A great bargain if you don't mind mp3 and dividing up the 86 files into more manageable chunks for better access. Also contains a booklet, especially useful since the works are not generally familiar.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Last year I downloaded the Myaskovsky complete symphonies with Svetlanov for £7.99. A great bargain if you don't mind mp3 and dividing up the 86 files into more manageable chunks for better access. Also contains a booklet, especially useful since the works are not generally familiar.
              Been there done that - great value - how could they not be with (Y)Evgeny at the helm!

Dave - I didn’t know WHS still did CDs, thought they were too busy being Post Offices!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Been there done that - great value - how could they not be with (Y)Evgeny at the helm!

Dave - I didn’t know WHS still did CDs, thought they were too busy being Post Offices!
                I didn't know about WHS either, but I was looking for Russian CDs - also Taneyev chamber music, and WHS came up in the search. Checking shows that they are cheap for some Russian works right now compared with am.uk

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I came across Trevor Pinnock's Handel complete orchestral recordings at Presto, recommended versions which filled some gaps for me. A bargain download for 11Cds worth at MP3 £8.89 or FLAC £11.11

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I came across Trevor Pinnock's Handel complete orchestral recordings at Presto, recommended versions which filled some gaps for me. A bargain download for 11Cds worth at MP3 £8.89 or FLAC £11.11

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Juat noticed some more free mp3s this week - some may be worth downloading - https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...free-downloads

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... an amazing bargain -

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Oh dear...I've already got Van Oort and Brautigam, but I bet this set is good, too.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            Oh dear...I've already got Van Oort and Brautigam, but I bet this set is good, too.
                            That's what I thought too.

In the meantime the people at ClassicSelect are still notifying me of freebies. I did buy quite a number of their mp3 downloads a year or two back, and I've probably got some of the freebie mp3s already, but since we have a new computer it's easy to get a new download this way - saves having to transfer files.

It's a collection of Guitar music this week - if anyone is interested I'll post the link later.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              What, no Luvimov?

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                What, no Luvimov?
                                Ah no, that's another cycle that's escaped me! How fortunate we are to have so many terrific sets available.

Comment

Working...
                                X