X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Is there a Brexit penalty? EU postage £4.99 per CD

Actually this doesn’t apply to all of them, but that was the price which came up on one of the first I looked at. I wondered if Chandos was starting its own trade war with the EU.
    Last edited by Dave2002; 08-09-20, 20:16.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Is there a Brexit penalty? EU postage £4.99 per CD
      That's for single discs, I think you will find. If you place an order for several discs they calculate the p&p charge according to the total mass and it works out significantly less than what one might pay if totalling the individual disc rates.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        That's for single discs, I think you will find. If you place an order for several discs they calculate the p&p charge according to the total mass and it works out significantly less than what one might pay if totalling the individual disc rates.
        Could have been just one rogue itemisation - a dodgy web page. As you suggest, many firms do charge proportionately less for multiple CD purchases, even from the EU.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the Chandos tip. I got the Moeran Songs, which fills a gap in my collection. V good value as a twofer for £5 + £1.35 postage.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Ouch! It's cost me just under a ton.
            My 23 Chandos discs (10 SACDs and 13 CDs) have just been delivered by DPD. £86.30 (£1 'loyalty discount' applied) plus £10.95 p&p., so less than 48p p&p per disc. Now, where to start? Maybe Langaard's The End of Time (Rozhdestvensky)?
            Last edited by Bryn; 10-09-20, 11:39. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Wrong thread?

(The Davrath Canteloube is the version for us - so very characterful - happy memories driving on long family holiday car journeys ........)

ON EDIT:
              Le M- P has moved his post to Charity Shop Hauls (and a good haul it was too...) I'll leave this updated post here to explain a mystery, otherwise.
              Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 12-09-20, 12:01.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Oops, sorry, have transferred. A week away from forum and I'd forgotten which way is up thereon
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  Chandos’ Summer Sale continues. Includes some good bargains (lots of SACDs for a £5). The categories are a bit hit and miss so it’s wise to check them all.
                  Thanks Mr Parry. 'Fraid I passed over your 4th symphony but grabbed 2 Gubaidulinas, a Langgaard and an H K Gruber. Many thanks!
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

I also succumbed to the Chandos sale - Rufinatscha, Reicha and Rachmaninoff (after I realised I'd not got the Symphonic Poem Prince Rostislav in my CD collection)
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Rolmill
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                      I also succumbed to the Chandos sale
                      So did I - picked up some St John's Cambridge choral CDs (excellent), as well as the 5 CD box of symphonies by contemporaries of Mozart (Bamert - some interesting music, snip at £8 for 5 CDs), Schonwandt's Salome, Neemi Jarvi's Swan Lake and several more. Lots of good stuff in the sale, including some interesting repertoire, well worth exploring imv.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

The Bernstein more or less complete DG is at £184 on Amazon.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                          I also succumbed to the Chandos sale - Rufinatscha, Reicha and Rachmaninoff (after I realised I'd not got the Symphonic Poem Prince Rostislav in my CD collection)
                          As did I in the end - an arm and a leg - over £100, but including several recordings of pieces I don't know - such as Schoenberg's string music, and various other unusual pieces.

I suppose I had to do something to keep the economy going!

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Paul Lewis Complete Beethoven Sonatas and Concertos £18.75

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas, Concertos. Harmonia Mundi: HMX290888093. Buy 14 CDs online. Paul Lewis (piano) BBC Symphony Orchestra, Jiří Bělohlávek

Not sure if that's been posted before.
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                              So did I - picked up some St John's Cambridge choral CDs (excellent), as well as the 5 CD box of symphonies by contemporaries of Mozart (Bamert - some interesting music, snip at £8 for 5 CDs), Schonwandt's Salome, Neemi Jarvi's Swan Lake and several more. Lots of good stuff in the sale, including some interesting repertoire, well worth exploring imv.
                              Thanks for that, Rolmill - I missed them in my searches -I’ll add another order. You maybe interested if you don’t already have it - a 5cd Naxos set with a similar title - different content which is worth considering, used copy available for under a tenner on Amazon.

Comment

• Rolmill
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                You maybe interested if you don’t already have it - a 5cd Naxos set with a similar title - different content which is worth considering, used copy available for under a tenner on Amazon.
                                Thanks Cloughie - I may have a couple of the individual CDs already, but I'll track down the detail (not evident from the Amazon page).

Comment

Working...
                                X