• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
    Detailed track listing here of the Thielemann box here:
    https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/gb/cat/4836423
    Two many duplications for me but the Pfitzner, Strauss, Bruckner and Schumann 2 are all excellent

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
      Christian Thielemann -- The Orchestral Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon 21 CDs 20,69 Euros
      https://www.amazon.it/Orchestral-Rec...dp/B07KZKCY6M/
      Mine is down for delivery on Monday.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Mine is down for delivery on Monday.
        Mine arrived today!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Just noticed whilst browsing amazon a set of Beethoven Symphonies - Pittsburgh/Steinberg - due for release on DG in May - no details but the picture was a Japanese issue - is this, I wonder, a release of the Command Classics set from the 60s - if so they may also release others from this label.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Just noticed whilst browsing amazon a set of Beethoven Symphonies - Pittsburgh/Steinberg - due for release on DG in May - no details but the picture was a Japanese issue - is this, I wonder, a release of the Command Classics set from the 60s - if so they may also release others from this label.
            As he only recorded one complete LvB cycle with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra - for Command Classics - between 1961 and 1965 as opposed to the recordings he made earlier for Capitol - 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th (in the EMI Icon box), it must be this set. Command Classics followed Everest in using 35mm film, hence the good recording quality (I remember a Brahms 2nd on LP as being decidedly superior, recording-wise, to Szell/Cleveland). At least some of these recordings were a mainstay of the Music for Pleasure catalogue (5th, 8th & 9th), although the pressings did scant justice to the quality of the recordings or the music-making. As Cloughie says, it would be good to see more of what Steinberg recorded for Command Classics re-appear. Duly pre-ordered.
            Last edited by HighlandDougie; 12-03-20, 18:10.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              As he only recorded one complete LvB cycle with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra - for Command Classics - between 1961 and 1965 as opposed to the recordings he made earlier for Capitol - 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th (in the EMI Icon box), it must be this set. Command Classics followed Everest in using 35mm film, hence the good recording quality (I remember a Brahms 2nd on LP as being decidedly superior, recording-wise, to Szell/Cleveland). At least some of these recordings were a mainstay of the Music for Pleasure catalogue (5th, 8th & 9th), although the pressings did scant justice to the quality of the recordings or the music-making. As Cloughie says, it would be good to see more of what Steinberg recorded for Command Classics re-appear. Duly pre-ordered.
              There’s a good Rachmaninov Sym 2.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I wonder about that set. Maybe! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven...4035878&sr=8-3

Not as if I don't already have a lot of Beethoven, though.

While browsing I spotted also a few Icon boxes - not sure if I have them - look good value. Martinon, Markevich - with some interesting and unusual recordings. Also Kempe - not sure if that's such a good one.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

I've noted multiple references admiring Michael Gielen's recorded work. jpc.de have a SWR Rundfunk Label sale with between 40 to 56% off the the Gielen edition box sets. I can't see any information how long the sale will last, and don't know when it started....

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

At least Presto Classical get the number of discs right: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...the-symphonies but no more information regarding provenance.

Phew! Look at the asking price for the Steinberg Icon box via Amazon. I paid less than £16 for my brand new set. Mind you, that was in 2011.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 28-03-20, 21:12. Reason: Update.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

If you are quick, or possibly if you are not so quick, there is a complete Matha Argerich DG on Amazon, possibly with slightly damaged box for £50.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        If you are quick, or possibly if you are not so quick, there is a complete Matha Argerich DG on Amazon, possibly with slightly damaged box for £50.
                        Just bumping this as there is one set left at £56.

Mine doesn’t seem to be being treated as a priority item..........

( delivery promised May 09)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Just bumping this as there is one set left at £56.

Mine doesn’t seem to be being treated as a priority item..........

( delivery promised May 09)
                          I grabbed one at £49.39 ('post free'). Not yet dispatched but estimated delivery date range starts tomorrow.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I grabbed one at £49.39 ('post free'). Not yet dispatched but estimated delivery date range starts tomorrow.
                            Harrumph !! I ordered 10 April . I guess you must be in a priority group.......( or ordered before me ! )

Still, not the most pressing problem right now......

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Harrumph !! I ordered 10 April . I guess you must be in a priority group.......( or ordered before me ! )

Still, not the most pressing problem right now......
                              I ordered the same day. Bear in mind, tomorrow is only the start of the range. It stretches to the 9th of May.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                                • Nov 2010

There’s free stuff at Qobuz including Nielsen Concertos with Gilbert in 24 bit and lots of Herreweghe ( sadly classical rather than baroque...)

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Comment

Working...
                                X