• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    ... I make no bones about shamelessly pushing this release:
    Écoutez Ensemble Aleph en illimité sur Qobuz et achetez ses albums en Hi-Res 24-Bit pour une qualité sonore inégalée. Abonnement à partir de 12,49€/mois.

The best 2,20€ (or sterling equivalent) you'll spend in a long time.
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-11-19, 11:50.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The 80-CD Warner box of the Complete Beethoven mentioned several posts upThread is now available at just under a quid-per-CD, incl P&P:

Remarkably few duplications for me (just the Piano Trios and 'cello Sonatas, in fact) so mine is paddling down the river on its way to me as I write.
      A touch pricey, that. My order from amazon.it (placed back in September) came to around £72 including p&p (€83.96). Yet to be dispatched, yet alone delivered, though. ETA 5th to 9th December.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        A touch pricey, that. My order from amazon.it (placed back in September) came to around £72 including p&p (€83.96). Yet to be dispatched, yet alone delivered, though. ETA 5th to 9th December.
        ... a touch pricey, that. My order from amazon.it (placed today) came to £69.76 including p&p. ETA 5 Dec.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... a touch pricey, that. My order from amazon.it (placed today) came to £69.76 including p&p. ETA 5 Dec.
          In which case, their price guarantee should result in mine costing the same (if not, I will chase them regarding it).

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

In which case, their price guarantee should result in mine costing the same (if not, I will chase them regarding it).
            Is it really worth bothering? I thought that was a set with many CDs I have already, or don't really want - but maybe I should look again.

I need to check a detailed listing - is Presto best for that?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Ah! Such a shame I missed it when you posted about this offer earlier.

Still, my set arrived at 3:30 this afternoon - so I can count the tenner extra as the cost of the "Free" P&P!

The box is much smaller than I'd been expecting - the size of 18 CDs in "traditional" single jewel cases - so no problems shelving it. Now where to start? Probably disc 11: the first disc of the Kovacevich Piano Sonatas.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Is it really worth bothering? I thought that was a set with many CDs I have already, or don't really want - but maybe I should look again.

I need to check a detailed listing - is Presto best for that?
                At first sight, the Presto Classical listing offers little more than an overview. However, to the lower right of the main image of the box itself, there is a small image which, if clicked on, leads to quite detailed citing of performers.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

The box is much smaller than I'd been expecting - the size of 18 CDs in "traditional" single jewel cases - so no problems shelving it. Now where to start? Probably disc 11: the first disc of the Kovacevich Piano Sonatas.
                  Anyone interested in just those Kovacevich sonatas can get them for £12.39 on Amazon now.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                    Anyone interested in just those Kovacevich sonatas can get them for £12.39 on Amazon now.
                    I think that’s about half what I paid. That does look like a bargain offer. If you’re interested, go for it quickly, as the price may shoot up again.

The large Beethoven box still looks marginal for me - I guess not the highest priority.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Ah! Such a shame I missed it when you posted about this offer earlier.

Still, my set arrived at 3:30 this afternoon - so I can count the tenner extra as the cost of the "Free" P&P!

Il mio ordine è stato spedito oggi. Previsto giovedì.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        The large Beethoven box still looks marginal for me - I guess not the highest priority.
                        If it creates too many duplications, it's probably not worth it (the box sleeve is a bit flimsy, and there's minimal booklet notes - nice contemporary paintings used on the cardboard sleeves, though) - it turned out that I only had three of the 80 discs already. For anyone who wants an "instant" Beethoven collection (and who isn't keen on HI instruments, but quite likes the occasional PP on "modern" instruments) it is excellent value. Should make for a very happy Thursday at Bryn's.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Il mio ordine è stato spedito oggi. Previsto giovedì.
                          ... per me : "martedì 3 dicembre 2:23 pm La spedizione è partita dallo stabilimento Amazon Lonate Pozzolo, VA IT"

e poi : "martedì 3 dicembre 5:04 pm La spedizione è partita dallo stabilimento Amazon Castle Donington, GB"
                          Last edited by vinteuil; 03-12-19, 19:20.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

- nice contemporary paintings used on the cardboard sleeves, though...

... "contemporary". Now there's an irritatingly ambiguous word. Contemporary with Beethoven, or contemporary with Us?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

... "contemporary". Now there's an irritatingly ambiguous word. Contemporary with Beethoven, or contemporary with Us?
                              The former. (Though, of course, Beethoven, like Shakespeare, is "our contemporary".)

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

The former. (Though, of course, Beethoven, like Shakespeare, is "our contemporary".)
                                ... talking of 'contemporary' (with Beethoven) - I have recently been listening again to the wonderful series of the piano concertos with Schoonderwoerd -

- and following up the spiffing 'contemporary' painting (this one by David, of his brother-in-law) :

I have learnt a new word : écrouellique *. The technical description of the cravat/stock around M Seriziat's neck.

One learns and learns...

* not in Littré, as far as I can see...

Last edited by vinteuil; 03-12-19, 14:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X