• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    I had the same and am minded to wait as it's a stupendous bargain

BTW I've been listening to the Naxos version of the 25th and the first movement is extremely beautiful. Bits of it sound like Bax or Rubbra at their most lyrical and there's a "big tune" that sounds a bit like the one from Saint-Saens 3. (It's also on YouTube with Svetlanov if you're interested.)
    I received a reply to confirm that it would be amended but they could not inform me when. I’m in no tearing hurry so I’ll check in a week or two!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Beethoven symphony set - Immerseel

Probably not a huge bargain, but a reasonable one - https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ies-ouvertures

I listened to Kleiber's recording of Beethoven's fifth this morning - OK - but ....

Then I thought I'd look out for Immerseel's set - and at am.uk it's only available currently from 3rd party sellers - mostly used. Presto have the set on CDs for a tad more than £22. Yes - I know that some others say Krivine is better, but I have the Krivine set, and I do like what I hear on Immerseel's set.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Probably not a huge bargain, but a reasonable one - https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ies-ouvertures

I listened to Kleiber's recording of Beethoven's fifth this morning - OK - but ....

Then I thought I'd look out for Immerseel's set - and at am.uk it's only available currently from 3rd party sellers - mostly used. Presto have the set on CDs for a tad more than £22. Yes - I know that some others say Krivine is better, but I have the Krivine set, and I do like what I hear on Immerseel's set.
        Tempted. I have just acquired Schubertiade 'Du Holde Kunst, Ich Danke Dir' also on offer form the same artists and label. Beautiful sound and concept. Like the Beethoven it was also recorded in the fine acoustic of the Concertgebouw Bruges, where we recently attended a memorable concert while visiting the city (Bartok Bluebeard with Peter Eötvös). It was partly this experience which prompted my purchase.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=Dave2002;764181

[/QUOTE]

Erich or Carlos?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

I won't comment on Immerseel vs Krivine in respect of performance (I like both very much) but, if recording quality is a factor, the Concertgebouw Bruges has wonderful acoustics so the Immerseel set sounds very good indeed. I binned the Krivine (recycled, if I recall, to Amateur 51) as I found the recording quality to be somewhat uningratiating.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              I won't comment on Immerseel vs Krivine in respect of performance (I like both very much) but, if recording quality is a factor, the Concertgebouw Bruges has wonderful acoustics so the Immerseel set sounds very good indeed. I binned the Krivine (recycled, if I recall, to Amateur 51) as I found the recording quality to be somewhat uningratiating.
              Never mind the quality, feel the width. I'd far rather be challenged than ingratiated. Yes, the Immerseel set (as against the earlier, pretty dire, Sony recording they made of the 9th) has the benefit of a consistent acoustic to work with, whereas each of the symphonies in the Krivine set is edited from recordings of performances in multiple venues. I'd not willingly part with either set.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Erich or Carlos?
                Carlos. We might have an LP of Erich somewhere, or maybe it's just the LP sleeve!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Carlos. We might have an LP of Erich somewhere, or maybe it's just the LP sleeve!
                  You should investigate and play it (if it's there).....

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

And is that Erich with the Concertgebouw, the SKB or the Stuttgart RSO?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I see that though difficult to find on CD these days, the Krivine Beethoven symphonies on Naïve can be found for €10.99 at QOBUZ in lossless CD quality. A great deal cheaper than downloads from the Chandos site. . . .
                      I note that the QOBUZ UK price is now even better, £8.79, and that includes a pdf of the booklet.

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven Symphonies by Emmanuel Krivine in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I note that the QOBUZ UK price is now even better, £8.79, and that includes a pdf of the booklet.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/be.../0822189017934
                        Fantastic set. Rude not to for less than a tenner

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Great Naxos bargains in a Qobuz "Black Friday" deal

About 200 items at £1.99 for 16bit and £2.89 for 24 bit (where available). Includes some newish items (e.g. the recent Magnard 3/4, the two Dutilleux releases etc.)

Also some stupidly cheap box sets that would be tempting if I didn't have them already (V Petrenko's DSCH, Markl's Debussy)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

The 80-CD Warner box of the Complete Beethoven mentioned several posts upThread is now available at just under a quid-per-CD, incl P&P:

Remarkably few duplications for me (just the Piano Trios and 'cello Sonatas, in fact) so mine is paddling down the river on its way to me as I write.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                              Great Naxos bargains in a Qobuz "Black Friday" deal

About 200 items at £1.99 for 16bit and £2.89 for 24 bit (where available). Includes some newish items (e.g. the recent Magnard 3/4, the two Dutilleux releases etc.)

Also some stupidly cheap box sets that would be tempting if I didn't have them already (V Petrenko's DSCH, Markl's Debussy)
                              Not sure about the Naxos releases but otherwise it's a bit of a repeat of last year's offer, including - and I make no bones about shamelessly pushing this release:

Écoutez Ensemble Aleph en illimité sur Qobuz et achetez ses albums en Hi-Res 24-Bit pour une qualité sonore inégalée. Abonnement à partir de 12,49€/mois.

The best 2,20€ (or sterling equivalent) you'll spend in a long time. And (I think) it comes with a PDF of the booklet.
                              Last edited by HighlandDougie; 30-11-19, 11:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X