• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    No, not just you . . .

Just had a quick response from 7digital, confirming the problem. They will get it corrected but are unable to say how long it might take. They offered the alternative of a different download of equal value but I have opted to wait.
    It's now showing as unavailable which is good! I've known Qobuz to leave faulty stuff up for ages...

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
      A very nice box set which sadly doesn't work for me because of too much duplication. The box does contain the Juliette suite but not the fragments.
      Since I saved the Belohlavek directed concert performance of Juliette, I managed to overlook the absence of the 3 Scenes from the Mackerras Janacek/Martinu box. The situation has now been rectified by the purchase, for £4.50 including p&p, if the Supraphon CD. I rejected the cheaper QOBUZ download (no booklet/libretto pdf). I have to admit that I had not grasped that the 3 Scenes was a Martinu work in its own right, not merely a few extracts compiled by another hand.

Comment

• Maclintick
        • Jan 2012

Charity shop temptations - Tchaik 1/ Leipzig Gewandhaus/Mazur for 99p -- Irresistible, but hilariously off-piste. Anyone interested in the vexed conundrum of how to transmogify Tchaikovsky into a simulacrum of Brahms need apply here.

Janáček -- Sinfonietta/Taras Bulba/VPO/Mackerras -- 99p -- excellently played & recorded alternative to vinyl classic Czech PO/Ančerl -- just lacks that wild folky element.

R.Strauss -- Don Quixote/Fournier/BPO/Karajan ( + Tod Und Verklärung similar vintage) -- 99p. Is there anything not to like here??

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
          . . . Janáček -- Sinfonietta/Taras Bulba/VPO/Mackerras -- 99p -- excellently played & recorded alternative to vinyl classic Czech PO/Ančerl -- just lacks that wild folky element. . . .
          The WP/Mackerras Sinfonietta also has the Viola d'amore that the composer asked for.

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Thanks, Bryn. From your reply I deduce that the viola d'amore is missing from the Czech PO/Ančerl.. ?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
              Thanks, Bryn. From your reply I deduce that the viola d'amore is missing from the Czech PO/Ančerl.. ?
              From what I recall, the WP/Mackerras was the first recording to restore the viola d'amore part. That said, I would not want to be without the Ancerl.

Comment

• alycidon
                • Feb 2013

Simulacrum? As a wordsmith I thought I knew them all but that is a new one for me. I did Latin as well, but never encountered that one. Thank you for extending my vocabulary.
                Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                  Simulacrum? As a wordsmith I thought I knew them all but that is a new one for me. I did Latin as well, but never encountered that one. Thank you for extending my vocabulary.
                  And a term which neither of the birthday boys would have been too happy to have had applied to either of them, of the other.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                    Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    And a term which neither of the birthday boys would have been too happy to have had applied to either of them, of the other.
                    A lovely word indeed, but my search abilities are not sufficiently good to see where it appeared and who the birthday boys are.
                    I think we should be told!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

See post #7924.

(Where, it seems, Johannes and Piotr are turned into cats!)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        See post #7924.

Missed that when scanning through recent posts.
                        Thought it would be in one of Bryn's, given that he'd responded!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

See post #7924.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

EdgeleyRob shares their birthday IIRC.
                            But I may not......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Maclintick
                              • Jan 2012

See post #7924.

My grammatical faux-pas has fortunately not gone unheeded. More proof of transmoGGification here:

& here, though not of actual transmoggification, but close affinity, despite historical calumnies to the contrary...

Johannes Brahms, bewhiskered composer of four symphonies, has been cleared of one of the most serious charges ever levelled at a musical genius - the accusation that he was a serial cat slayer.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                EdgeleyRob shares their birthday IIRC.
                                But I may not......
                                Yep 7th May,well remembered ts.
                                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Working...
                                X