Ansermet - French Music (32CD): currently 31.99 Euros at Amazon Italy
    https://www.amazon.it/French-Music-E.../dp/B00DT2322E
    Half the Amazon UK price!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

A few quid off Bach 333 English edition on Amazon .de

a market place seller has it at £371 delivered to uk
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        A few quid off Bach 333 English edition on Amazon .de

a market place seller has it at £371 delivered to uk
        It's still a few pounds cheaper direct from amazon.fr.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          It's still a few pounds cheaper direct from amazon.fr.

No so far to come.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

No so far to come.
            If indeed it gets dispatched from France, rather than one of the UK warehouses, as, from the limited labelling on the external packaging, I am pretty sure mine did..

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I've revisited the site for Classic Select - a US based site - several times recently, and indulged myself in rather a lot of downloads.

It is worth checking the detail of the download boxes. Lurking in "Bach Guild Box" are Anton Heiller's recordings, and "English Folksongs" disguises Alfred Deller's recording of them. Thanks to Dave2002 for the alert.

Update: I should have checked further. The Heiller recordings appear to be mp3 format: so my LPs will continue to be played.
              Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 28-11-18, 17:45. Reason: disappointment

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Sorry you were disappointed. I wasn’t expecting sonic miracles, bu so far the ones I’ve listened to have been OK. For preference I would like to hear very good recordings, but I’d rather hear an interesting performance in OK sound than a truly dull or awful one in superb sound. I even enjoy some performances which are eccentric and in pretty dreadful sound by the likes of Golovanov. I only found these ones by accident while trying to find recordings of Bach cantatas, prompted by another thread.

One of the collections seems to have errors in the labelling. A Schubert quartet in the chamber music collection sounds remarkably like Dvorak’s American Quartet to me. I’m not sure it it’s the same performance in the Dvorak box - which I think really is labelled correctly. I suppose I could try a file comparison to check, thought an exact match comparison might fail anyway if the labelling is embedded in the file.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                  It is worth checking the detail of the download boxes. Lurking in "Bach Guild Box" are Anton Heiller's recordings, and "English Folksongs" disguises Alfred Deller's recording of them. Thanks to Dave2002 for the alert.

Update: I should have checked further. The Heiller recordings appear to be mp3 format: so my LPs will continue to be played.
                  I wasn't going to bother with the Organ box, but I succumbed. I also bought the Vox organ box played by Walter Kraft. The Anton Heiller recordings in mp3 are fine, unless you have golden ears or very good equipment. If you've already got the recordings on LPs which you are happy with, then there's no point in spending a further 75 cents. Others may want to try, though.

The organ on the Vox set is still passable, though I think the recording is a bit harsher than the other set.

I think there might also be some recordings in the sets with Anton Heiller playing harpsichord. Harpsichords are one instrument which I feel does sometimes jar rather horribly with mp3 versions - but again it depends how sensitive one is as a listener, and also the quality of the mp3 production.

I could be tempted to say that with some large organ works there is so much "distortion" produced by the instrument itself, that a bit more from mp3 renditions would hardly be noticed, though there I'm thinking of monster organs with "unusual" stops. In the case of the instruments I sampled from Heiller's mp3 there weren't any really harsh notes to wory about, IMO.

I think this deal might finish at the end of November (today), so if anyone wants to try there's still time.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Medici.tv subscription offer returned briefly - ends again tonight. Around £52 for a year. Might reappear, but not guaranteed, before or around Christmas.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

If anyone is feeling Christmassy (??) this for 60 cents has to be a cheerful way to spend about 50p

- https://www.classicselect.com/produc...=5887119294494

I'd not heard of Apollo's Fire before, but they seem a very vigorous and lively group, and they also play other music, including Mozart and Telemann .

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        If anyone is feeling Christmassy (??) this for 60 cents has to be a cheerful way to spend about 50p

- https://www.classicselect.com/produc...=5887119294494

I'd not heard of Apollo's Fire before, but they seem a very vigorous and lively group, and they also play other music, including Mozart and Telemann .
                        Good spot Dave. There are quite a few videos of Apollo's Fire on Youtube.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Apollo's Fire sounds a bit like Red Priest - and the style from what I've heard is similar.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I already have far too many of the recordings in this box, but can assure all that it's a true bargain at the amazon.it current price:

full listing here.

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I already have far too many of the recordings in this box, but can assure all that it's a true bargain at the amazon.it current price:

full listing here.
                              Many thanks, Bryn. Now ordered (£44.55).
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                                Many thanks, Bryn. Now ordered (£44.55).
                                Do you mean £? Is says € on Amazon.it

Comment

Working...
                                X