X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    The Goose, along with the Jurowski box, has just stepped in.
    I will be interested to hear how good that Jurowski box sounds. I did look at the web page when it was £31, but couldn’t quite work up enough determination to hit the button.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I will be interested to hear how good that Jurowski box sounds. I did look at the web page when it was £31, but couldn’t quite work up enough determination to hit the button.
      I am currently listening to disc 2 from the set. Very fine sound and performances of Glinka, Dargomyzhsky, Mussorgsky (both the original and RK version of NoaBM) and Prokofiev. On this limited sampling, I would say, "do not hesitate, if the price is right" (I paid £28.18). The presentation is also rather well done, hardback book style with sturdy slip-case. Just be carefulnot to tip the CDs out whn removing the 'book'from said slip-case.

Plenty of samples on Youtube:

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

I am currently listening to disc 2 from the set. Very fine sound and performances of Glinka, Dargomyzhsky, Mussorgsky (both the original and RK version of NoaBM) and Prokofiev. On this limited sampling, I would say, "do not hesitate, if the price is right" (I paid £28.18). The presentation is also rather well done, hardback book style with sturdy slip-case. Just be carefulnot to tip the CDs out whn removing the 'book'from said slip-case.
        You’re not helping , you know !!

( actually you are, I have shifted it up my list .....)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

It might help,to keep the 333 at bay ....

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I've always been interested in your posts and thoughts, Bryn, but the fact that you reveal yourself to be a Will Hay fan endears me even more!
            Well, my work base was, for a year or so, in Sluff. It was crazy that for years the only version available on disc had some of the best scenes cut from it. Oh, Mr Porter! is another great favourite, though everything he did was a delight.
            ... if you're a Will Hay fan - Monday 12 November, 6:25pm - on Talking Pictures TV (freeview 81) : 'The Black Sheep of Whitehall' [1941]

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

It’s a liitle over £41 - maybe that will reduce your temptation? or maybe you can’t put a price on joy!

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... if you're a Will Hay fan - Monday 12 November, 6:25pm - on Talking Pictures TV (freeview 81) : 'The Black Sheep of Whitehall' [1941]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bl...p_of_Whitehall
                Thanks, Vints...Well spotted! I already have it on DVD, but it's well worth watching if you like vintage comedy.

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

The Jurowski box has dropped back from £47 to £32 today. Clicked the button.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... if anyone has been havering over vol 2 of the 60 CD vivarte box - it's now available for about £45 incl p&p from italian amazon -

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

... if anyone has been havering over vol 2 of the 60 CD vivarte box - it's now available for about £45 incl p&p from italian amazon -

Thanks for this. Am I right in thinking it's best to select the "Pay in GBP" option? Given it's a reasonable price anyway perhaps not an issue, but I'm just thinking that if one pays using a UK credit card, the Euro price could attract charges with ones card company.

I'm not quite sure what's in the Vivarte II box, but I hit the button anyway.
                      Totale parziale degli articoli: EUR 36,10
                      Costi di spedizione: EUR 3,94
                      Totale IVA esclusa: EUR 40,04
                      IVA: EUR 8,01
                      Totale Ordine: EUR 48,05
                      GBP 43.38*
                      Metodo di pagamento selezionato: Visa

Re the Jurowski - it's gone back up to around £40 - I did check.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

I wanted these and the SEON box, but sadly I am quite simply running out of space!

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          I wanted these and the SEON box, but sadly I am quite simply running out of space!
                          Is there a “new” SEON box? I bought one a year or more back. Haven’t played too many of that one. The Vivarte looks good.

If space is really the only issue, plastic boxes such as these might help - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whatmore-11...orage+boxes+cd

However they might only give a temporary reprieve, and eventually something has to give, or go.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Is there a “new” SEON box? I bought one a year or more back. Haven’t played too many of that one...
                            ... the only SEON box I'm aware of is this one, which I got when it first came out some years back. Unless MickyD has news??

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

There are five Seon discs on this Gustav Leonhardt 80th birthday set which I acquired ten years ago. They seem to be the only discs I have from that label and while they are well worth having, I note that they do not offer great length per disc value - around 40 -50 minutes. If that is the case for a large number of the 85 discs on that box, you are not getting a favourable shelf space to time ratio.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

... the only SEON box I'm aware of is this one, which I got when it first came out some years back. Unless MickyD has news??

Wow - that's pricey. I didn't pay anything like that. That's the only one I know about too.

Comment

Working...
                                X