• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Some excellent bargains on warner box sets at Presto including the Philharmonia/Karajan Beethoven symphonies for just £10.70 .
    Sounds great: could you possibly post a link the relevant page(s)?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      Sounds great: could you possibly post a link the relevant page(s)?
      Beethoven: Symphonies & Overtures. Warner Classics: 2564633735. Buy download online. Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Marga Höffgen, Ernst Haefliger, Otto Edelmann Philharmonia Orchestra, Chor der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde, Wien, Herbert von Karajan

But all you needed was to Google "Presto Classical Offers", then browse at will.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

HMV, York
        RVW: The LPO/Haitink compilation with Bostridge's Wenlock Edge £3.99 (OK, he wasn't the winner, but it's a nice-looking compilation)
        RVW: The Double Decca set with ASMF/Marriner (including the Oboe concerto and Concert grosso, both of which I like a lot), and The New Queen's Hall Orchestra/Wordsworth on CD2 with an early LPO/Boult Partita £5.99

That meant I could justify £19.99 on the Santa Cecilia/Pappano Bernstein set and support a 'local' shop in a street in York that's looking rather desolate with so many closures.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          HMV, York
          RVW: The LPO/Haitink compilation with Bostridge's Wenlock Edge £3.99 (OK, he wasn't the winner, but it's a nice-looking compilation)
          RVW: The Double Decca set with ASMF/Marriner (including the Oboe concerto and Concert grosso, both of which I like a lot), and The New Queen's Hall Orchestra/Wordsworth on CD2 with an early LPO/Boult Partita £5.99

That meant I could justify £19.99 on the Santa Cecilia/Pappano Bernstein set and support a 'local' shop in a street in York that's looking rather desolate with so many closures.
          York HMV still comes up with some good stuff. I bought some Zappa CDs from there back in January and they're often able to compete (or better) online prices.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

WARNER Britten box at a good price, about £26 new on market place.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamin-Br...ywords=Box+set[SIZE=5][/SIZE
            Last edited by teamsaint; 26-10-18, 21:39.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Sony Britten box at a good price, about £26 new on market place.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamin-Br...ywords=Box+set
              Ouch! That's the Warner box, nothing to do with Sony, (well, not yet, anyway).

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

No problem, it was a pleasure.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Ouch! That's the Warner box, nothing to do with Sony, (well, not yet, anyway).
                  It's a good box, but not so long ago I made the mistake of thinking it was more or less complete. I think there are things which are in the (original) Decca boxes, and maybe even some pieces which are in none of the boxes. I particullarly wanted a recording of the harp suite and it took a while to find one or two without delving into any boxed compilations. So if you can get it cheaply (the price is now back up I think to around £50) and want a selection of BB's works then go for it, but it's nothing like fully comprehensive. Of course the pieces which aren't in the boxes may be works which only real BB enthusiasts would want to have.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    It's a good box, but not so long ago I made the mistake of thinking it was more or less complete. I think there are things which are in the (original) Decca boxes, and maybe even some pieces which are in none of the boxes. I particullarly wanted a recording of the harp suite and it took a while to find one or two without delving into any boxed compilations. So if you can get it cheaply (the price is now back up I think to around £50) and want a selection of BB's works then go for it, but it's nothing like fully comprehensive. Of course the pieces which aren't in the boxes may be works which only real BB enthusiasts would want to have.
                    Still some at £26.00 .

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Still less than £26.50 including p&p via the marketplace.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Still less than £26.50 including p&p via the marketplace.
                        I didn't spot that. There are several sellers with the set under £30 - considerably less than the regular Amazon price. I have it already (about £35 when I bought it), but others may want a set.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

I didn't spot that. There are several sellers with the set under £30 - considerably less than the regular Amazon price. I have it already (about £35 when I bought it), but others may want a set.
                          Same here. £34.99 including p&p.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Same here. £34.99 including p&p.
                            Snap! Of course that's not quite the same - it was an EMI box at the time, I think - but effectively identical. Curious - the new one says Warner on the front, and EMI on the back.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

Snap! Of course that's not quite the same - it was an EMI box at the time, I think - but effectively identical. Curious - the new one says Warner on the front, and EMI on the back.
                              Perhaps it's a new scan of the front and an old scan of the back.........

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

The Vladimir Jurowski 7 CD box has come down nicely in price to around £28 on Amazon.
                                Anybody got it ? Make a lovely xmas pressie for somebody, surely ?

Comment

Working...
                                X