X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The complete DG Boston Symphony Orchestra recordings (57 CDS) £77,60 including p&p to U.K. Far lower price than other Amazon sites or other vendors. Listing https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...che-grammophon.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      The complete DG Boston Symphony Orchestra recordings (57 CDS) £77,60 including p&p to U.K. Far lower price than other Amazon sites or other vendors. Listing https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...che-grammophon.

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

More than half the 57 discs - 37 in fact - are Ozawa.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          Indeed, reflecting the period DG was most closely involved with the BSO. I appreciate that Ozawa is not everybody's favourite conductor.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Indeed, reflecting the period DG was most closely involved with the BSO. I appreciate that Ozawa is not everybody's favourite conductor.
            I read a review where the reviewer suggested it would have been better if the box had been based on the BSO's guest conductors (including Decca and Philips material)...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              I read a review where the reviewer suggested it would have been better if the box had been based on the BSO's guest conductors (including Decca and Philips material)...
              A very fair comment. I must admit that if Ozawa's recording of Ives's 4th had been my first encounter with the work, it might not have had the chance to become my favourite symphony.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Actually it's 28, according to the list on the jpc.de website. And not everything he recorded is duff, although I freely admit that the thought of him conducting Brahms doesn't make my heart race.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Actually it's 28, according to the list on the jpc.de website. And not everything he recorded is duff, although I freely admit that the thought of him conducting Brahms doesn't make my heart race.
                  The figure I quoted came from John Fowler's review - this reviewer although a little eccentric is normally accurate.

Ihave a number of Ozaw'a recordings and it was not my intention to deprecate him, merely to bemoan the fact that the slice of the action allocated to him was rather large although it does of course reflect the length of his tenure at Boston.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

The figure I quoted came from John Fowler's review - this reviewer although a little eccentric is normally accurate.

I have a number of Ozaw'a recordings and it was not my intention to deprecate him, merely to bemoan the fact that the slice of the action allocated to him was rather large although it does of course reflect the length of his tenure at Boston.
                    Perhaps he was mistaking the number of works conducted by Ozawa with the number of discs. I made it 29 discs on the jpc.de site, by the way, rather than 28.

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

A good way to get 'a lot of Ozawa in your life' (to paraphrase an old BSO marketing line).

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Perhaps he was mistaking the number of works conducted by Ozawa with the number of discs. I made it 29 discs on the jpc.de site, by the way, rather than 28.
                        Oops, I forgot about 2xcd sets - and split discs - so I might revise the earlier 28 to 31. Whatever, DG clearly reckoned that Ozawa was a saleable commodity, particularly in the all-important Japanese market (and, having seen the Ozawa section in Tower Records Shibuya, you gotta believe it), hence the plethora of recordings. I bracket him mentally with Charles Dutoit and Zubin Mehta - fine if you happen to catch them in concert but would you want to buy the record? Anyway, I’ve succumbed to the box set as there is a lot of other stuff I’d like to have.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Oops, I forgot about 2xcd sets - and split discs - so I might revise the earlier 28 to 31. Whatever, DG clearly reckoned that Ozawa was a saleable commodity, particularly in the all-important Japanese market (and, having seen the Ozawa section in Tower Records Shibuya, you gotta believe it), hence the plethora of recordings. I bracket him mentally with Charles Dutoit and Zubin Mehta - fine if you happen to catch them in concert but would you want to buy the record? Anyway, I’ve succumbed to the box set as there is a lot of other stuff I’d like to have.
                          Moi aussi. I was so pleased when Ozawa's Toronto recording of Turangalîla-Symphonie was released. As I was later with the issue of the Paris production of Saint François d'Assise. Both recordings well and truly superseded in the interim. However, I still treasure both his recordings of Honegger's Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher (the first in English, the second in French).

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

My reason for not getting the box is that I would have over 50% duplications, and I have enjoyed many an Ozawa recording over the years, and I have also many excellent Mehta and Dutoit recordings paticularly the former's Decca IPO and LAPO and the latter's with the OSM.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

Gunter Wand - Live 33CD BOX SET: Amazon.co.uk - £33.94

One left!
                              Last edited by hafod; 08-03-18, 18:50.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Gunter Wand - Live 33CD BOX SET: Amazon.co.uk - £33.94

One left!
                                A worthwhile companion to Sony's "Great Recordings" box of Wand, by the look of it

Comment

Working...
                                X